šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,192 total)
  • Author
    heather m

Wysong dog/cat food. its allmost entirely meat

#44333 Report Abuse
    Melba W

Bravo Raw Diet

#44383 Report Abuse
    Carolyn F

I am curious how Only Natural Pet dog foods are rated…….

#44421 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

Not actually a nomination but WHY is Brothers Complete dog food listed in the “regular” DFA as a FIVE STAR FOOD while it is not on the Editor’s Choice? I hear from respectful sources that this is excellent dog food. Much of the posting that appears following the Brothers’ Complete Review by DFA, is focused on posters’ differences of opinion and varied antagonisms but very little about the dog food itself. I understand that Mr. Darlington is a very knowledgable man. So what am I missing here? Also according to DFA this company has not been reviewed since 2013. ??? I am very interested in this food for my dog but want some updated information about the food – not about people’s angsts. Thank you for any clues.

#44422 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

OMG WHY is the name of the dog food I am inquiring about being blanked out by DFA? The WORD that is being blanked out is the OPPOSITE to the word “sister” – but add a apostrophe and “s” onto it.

Please tell me what is going on here?
    Thank you!!

#44423 Report Abuse

What’s funny is when I got the notification of your post b-r-o-t-h-e-r-‘s is spelled out just fine. I only see the *** when I am on the forum.

I am interested in this food too. It looks great and I like that it is local for me (made in FL). They also sell it on wag.com now. I was considering trying a bag.

#44427 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Sorry for having to temporarily take this blocking action. However, our forum software doesn’t use the same filtering system as the rest of our website.

As I’m sure you’ve already noticed from our reviews, we really like the brand of dog food you’ve mentioned here.

Unfortunately, we have a chronic troll that continues to slander and libel the owner and his brand. So, for now, we’re intentionally making it as difficult as we can for this individual to carry out his/her subversive agenda.

Please be assured, we’ve recorded all IP addresses, fake emails and other data related to these events and we continue to report this information to both private investigators and law enforcement officials. Ultimately, we’ll all finally know the real identity of this person.

Thanks for your patience.

#44428 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I can tell you from personal experience that Brother’s Complete is an awesome food. I”ve used every formula they offer and have a new bag of the venison on hand that I’m going to try Sam on next. They use an algae meal instead of fish meal for Omega 3 DHA so it works for my fish sensitive dog. And, Richard is a very kind, knowledgeable and very helpful man. Dr. Mike has done his best to try to keep the trolls at bay, but it’s been a work in progress for him.

#44431 Report Abuse

Thanks for the input Betsy! That is good to know. I wasn’t sure what all the drama was surrounding the brand. I’m definitely going to give it a try.

#44439 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

I been using Brother’s Complete for 2 yrs and 3 of mine do fine on it and my 4th girl does not do well on it because she is allergic to Poultry and fish but I can honestly say before I started using it my dogs smelled yeasty and it took approx. 8 months to get the yeast out of their systems when feeding only Brother’s Complete and now they are free and clear of Candida Yeast. I now rotate different brands that are grain free and white potato free. Brother’s Complete will always be one of our rotation foods.

#44442 Report Abuse
    Dori

I thought I would chime in also on Brother’s Complete dog formulas and the people at Brother’s. I truly believe that Brother’s is one of the best kibbles on the market (may be the very best) and the owner, his wife and sons who all run the business are truly kind, conscientious people who love canine’s and try very hard to help their consumers and anyone else who ask a question of them. Also, they are ALWAYS available either by phone or email. Wonderful people. I cannot say enough good things about them. The food is really fabulous. My dogs really did fabulous on their food and if you choose to use their food in your rotation you cannot go wrong. Unfortunately for me and my girls I had to discontinue the use of the food because all their formulas contain some sort of poultry and one of my girls is really highly allergic. As she is the poop eater in the group (I run around like a nut picking up as quickly as they all go but she always manages to find something if it’s my husband who lets the dogs out in the yard) I had to switch all three girls to fowl free food. They now all eat raw.

DFA is a fabulous site and Mike and Sandy have truly done a wonderful job. We’ve all gotten a free educational here and though I’ve thanked Mike and Sandy often, I don’t think they really understand how indebted we all are to them. Unfortunately, the site also brings out “trolls” as they are called. I think of them as despicable human beings who decided that their envy of Richard, his knowledge, his sons and their food were fair game for them. It’s really a shame because Richard brought so much knowledge to this site. I will also be forever indebted to Richard because he shared Katie’s story (allergy riddled poop eating dog of mine and one of the loves of my life) with Shawna and gave me her phone number after getting her permission a couple of years ago. She helped me enormously and continues to help me now with all that we are going through with Hannah.

#44444 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

BC is also my favorite food. It really helped me to get my dog with issues straightened out. Richard was amazing with his advice and right on the nose. I have 2 dogs that do best on BC and one that can’t have it anymore due to his food intolerances. Ironically, he’s the one that BC really straightened out.

#44458 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

Life has its ways and this might just end up HELPING B C !! Every response on here has been PRO B C and that is GREAT because I am going to try it next Myself.

What goes around comes around.
    Thank you, dear friends, for your responses!

#44459 Report Abuse
    Case

After reading their Document, I will probably try it too.

#44518 Report Abuse
    Vilma M
    Participant

Nature’s Variety Instinct – Raw, Dry & Canned. I was surprised this food did not make the Editor’s Choice List!

#44796 Report Abuse
    Robert K

I wonder why Evanger’s dog food doesn’t qualify for Editor’s Choice status?

#44810 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Go back to page 10 at the top of the page, post #43253 has a link that tells you some of the poop on Evanger’s.

#44895 Report Abuse
    Tindaisy

NutriSource

#44899 Report Abuse
    Tracy M

Don’t want to nominate a brand, but would really like to know what you think of Total Canine. I feed Victor grain free and my dogs are doing great, but we started feeding our horses Total E
    quine and you would not believe the difference in them. So good. We really saw a major difference in our 27 year old-great. I am thinking of feeding my dogs this, but would really like you to review it. Thank you for all you do!
    Tracy

#44900 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Hi Tracy,

We’ve already reviewed all the current Victor products. And as you can tell from our article, we really like this brand.

However, if there’s another dog food you’d like us to review, please visit this page and let us know. We’ll do our best to cover it in the future. Don’t forget to provide as much detail as possible so we can find the info we need to prepare our report.

Thanks for your suggestion.

#44901 Report Abuse
    Tindaisy

One of the ingredients I see listed in dog food is ” natural flavors” can anyone tell me what that is exactly? Thanks!

#44907 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Tracy,

A very knowledgeable and regular poster said a while back in a thread about the product, that she’d estimate the Total Canine star rating at about a 2. She also mentioned that the product is preserved with controversial and potentially dangerous preservative, BHA and BHT. It looks to have very low protein and the fat is rather high in comparison.

#44970 Report Abuse
    Joseph Z

I would like to re-nominate Farmina. My doberman has been on the low grain chicken formula since it became available on Chewy in early April. He has done fantastic. Previous skin issues resolved on Acana- but very gassy. Now no itching/scratching and best of all very minimal gas. Of course this is anecdotal but generally all reviews seem very good. This is a relatively affordable blend with very acceptable listed ratios of protein/fat/carbs and ca/phos. Only the grain free has been reviewed. The company, though, seemingly deserves SOME consideration.

#45087 Report Abuse
    Karen M

What about Nature’s Domain Dry food, a Kirkland brand. You gave their canned turkey/pea 5 stars.

#45088 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

I agree. Nature’s Domain and other Kirkland lines are indeed very good dog foods. However, just because the label of a dog food earns 4 or 5 stars doesn’t mean it’s automatically entitled to receive our Editor’s Choice designation.

Currently, there are over 335 dog foods rated 4 stars or higher on DFA. However fewer than 20 of them have made our June 2014 Editor’s Choice list.

Please visit our “Guide to Finding Superior Dog Food Brands” for more information.

Also, please see our “Editor’s Choice Frequently Asked Questions” page, too.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

#45091 Report Abuse
    Karen M

Can you comment on where so many different dog foods are produced , such as Diamond Pet Foods? Who formulates all the different brands they make? Is a licenses veterinarian nutritionist involved? How often does the company have recalled brands? Also, it would be nice to know calorie content per cup for foods on your site, as this can vary quite a bit. Also, when flaxseed is listed is it ground or whole? Because if not ground, doesn’t it pass right through? I was just hoping to find on your site some of the things that weren’t already on the bag. Maybe I just haven’t spent enough time searching? Also, what’s the problem with grain? It has a lot more nutrient value than potato and seems to be the newest marketing fad. I’m just looking for more science and facts rather than popular opinions. Thank you for your input!

#45098 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

All the information you requested here and that we had access to is covered in detail for each of our Editor’s Choice top picks. Just click on the brand and read the detailed report. Hope this helps.

#45099 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Karen,,

The purpose of our Editor’s Choice section is to look beyond the label and help you narrow down the 800+ reviews representing over 325 dog foods rated 4 stars are higher to what we believe to be 10 to 20 of the best and safest North American brands.

Much of the “science” regarding many of the literally thousands of possible ingredients can be controversial. So, we have made a significant effort to explain the high points of each one on in each of the reviews and articles found on the free areas (98%) of our website.

Some of the requests you had in your comments are good suggestions. And many of those are already on our To Do list for consideration for future features and articles.

Hope this helps.

#45110 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

isn’t Kirkland made by Diamond? Or is the nature’s domain line not?

#45412 Report Abuse
    Delia W

I have not tried this food on our English Bulldog, but several people say this has been the best choice for their dog with allergies. NATURAL BALANCE LID (no chicken). Could you give us your idea’s. Thank you. Delia Winn

#45415 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Natural balance is good in theory but as they were bought out by del monte, they won’t very likely make this list. It is nice for pinpointing allergies

#45426 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

The lid versions have very little meat. They are legume based so not a very good value

#45619 Report Abuse
    Sylvia L

Hi
    I have been feeding my doggie Grandma Mae’s Country Naturals Grain Free how would you rate this product you have the dry on your list but you have not included the canned. Is this a good budget product, I would love to hear what you think.

#45622 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Sylvia –

It looks like the Grandma Mae’s Country Naturals canned line is fairly new and hasn’t yet been rated. I just checked out the website and the food looks great, I’d be surprised if it doesn’t receive 5 stars when it’s rated. What is the price on it?

#45710 Report Abuse
    Melinda W

I nominate Common Sense raw dog food.

#45711 Report Abuse
    Sylvia L

I purchase Grandma Mae”s Country Natural at my pet store in Baton Rouge, La. price $1.69 per 13 ounce can, I have not found it anywhere on line yet.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Sylvia L.
    #45713 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hey Melinda –

It doesn’t look like Common Sense has even been reviewed yet. Thanks for the tip though, I’ll try to get it on the list to be reviewed. Could be awhile as there are many brands waiting for review.

#45714 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Sylvia –

That’s fairly reasonable. Once it gets reviewed I’ll look into it a bit more and maybe consider it for the budget friendly list. Thanks for letting me know about it!

#45715 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Hi Melinda W,

Thanks for suggesting Common Sense Raw. Unfortunately, we’re unable to locate any AAFCO Nutritional Adequacy Statement for Common Sense anywhere on the company’s website. So, it’s impossible for us to determine if these recipes are “complete and balanced” or “for supplemental feeding” only.

Without this important statement, customers cant’s know for which life stage profile these products should (or should not) be fed.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

#45730 Report Abuse
    Sid M

Would you give me an opinion on CountryPet frozen dogfood? It’s from Australia. Thanks!

#45732 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Hi Sid M.,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, due to important differences in labeling standards with each country, our software and spreadsheets aren’t reliable with dog foods not sold within the USA or Canada. Wish I could be more help.

#45736 Report Abuse
    Allison B

Has Earthborn Holistic specifically Great Plains Feast ever been on the Editor’s Choice list? If not, is there a reason? Thank you!

#45742 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Earthborn Holistic is certainly a fine product. And thanks to its nomination by others, this brand is currently under consideration for Editor’s Choice designation.

However, to find out why this or any other brand may (or may not) be included on our list, please visit our Editor’s Choice FAQ page. Hope this helps.

#45743 Report Abuse
    Meho M

I’m wondering why you gave Nulo Medal Series dry a 5 star rating, but its not on the list of top foods?

#45768 Report Abuse
    Scott B

Wellness seems to have a whole bunch of recipes but I can’t find the Super5Mix review.

The full name is: Wellness Super5Mix Adult Health Large Breed

And there are a number of variations on the Super5Mix theme.

#45770 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I don’t think they make Supermix now? I haven’t seen it in a while and isn’t on the website

#45772 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Meho –

A high rating doesn’t guarantee that a food will be selected as an Editor’s Choice selection. The star rating assigned is objective and based strictly on the ingredients and general analysis. The Editor’s Choice Report is subjective and takes into consideration a wide variety of criteria. To help better understand why a food may or may not be included in the Editor’s Choice Report please check out this article. By the way – just because a food isn’t currently an Editor’s Choice selection now doesn’t mean it won’t be in the future.

#45773 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Scott –

It appears to me that what was “Wellness Super5Mix” is now “Wellness Complete Health.” Hope that helps.

#45791 Report Abuse
    Myra S

Mike, I just read your moments on Annamaet Lean. I have been feeding my female dachshund Annamaet for a month now and do agree with you. The only thing I would like to add is it isn’t just for weight control. My female had a bout of pancreatitis several years ago and I’m always careful of the amount of fat in her food. Before feeding Annamaet Lean her abdomen always felt extended no matter how much of the other foods I fed. Since being on Annamaet Lean she is much more comfortable.
    Thanks for you dedication

#45799 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Myra,

That’s great news. Dog foods with ample meat-based protein and also low in fat (like Annamaet Lean) are not typically easy to come by. Hope others find your experience and your report helpful, too. Thanks for taking the time to post your results.

Mike

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,192 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.