šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 1,192 total)
  • Author
    Bonnie K

What about Castor and Pollux, which I believe is owned by Merrick? I am looking for brands and specific formulas in a commercial dog food with low phosphorus content.

#37720 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Bonnie K-
    Have you looked at the Editor’s Choice List? If you click on Merrick, it will list Castor and Pollux under their name. Good luck!

#37725 Report Abuse
    Tina

I’m extremely interested in the secrects to Blue Buffalo. Where is it made? Where do the ingredients come from? Why didn’t it make any of the lists? Where there many silent recalls? Why do some dogs like it and some dogs like mine who won’t touch it?

#37726 Report Abuse
    Valerie N

Me too, I hope Darwin’s makes it.

#37976 Report Abuse
    Janice S
    Participant

Premium Edge Healthy Weight I is rated with 5 stars on your website. Why did it not make editors choice? I just started feeding it to my overweight basset hound and am now wondering if I made a wise choice.

#37977 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Premium Edge is manufactured by Diamond Foods. The editor’s choice list is made up of companies. Diamond is not typically thought of as an above average company due to recall history. They have had several especially in the southern and eastern states. Yalu can see a recall history on the front page of the review site. Also it should be a great idea to sign up for recall alerts. Good luck!

#38128 Report Abuse
    Quinton B

What about Nulo?

#38143 Report Abuse
    Joseph Z

Farming is now available through Chewy’s. does that make it a candidate. Seems to be an excellent product with a reputable processsing plant.

#38144 Report Abuse
    Joseph Z

I meant Farmina

#38165 Report Abuse
    Lynn J

So The Honest Kitchen did’t make the list because of the Parsley recall? Or, is there another reason?

#38168 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

The honest kitchen is on there

#38171 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Aqua: maybe I’m blind but I don’t see THK on the Editors Choice list

#38172 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hmm, I could’ve sworn THK was on the list also. Maybe it was on the March list, but not the April list.

#38173 Report Abuse
    chaywatson

I and Love and You out of Boulder CO. You have it rated as a 5 star food. I have been using the nude food simply sea recipe for about a month now and my dogs really like it. The amounts that I need to feed are higher, three cups for a 60 lb. adult dog, I did not like this but the kibble size is about half the size of another kibble so perhaps that is the reason. It seems that it is easier for my older dog to chew. I have read some negative comments about them that have caused me to pause and to consider switching foods to an Editor’s Choice brand. I and Love and You is a local company and a brand that I would potentially like to continue to use if you found them and their practices to be favorable.

#38185 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Oh, you are right, Betsy, they have a new April list and The Honest Kitchen is not on it any longer. Wow! Didn’t realize they would be updating monthly. Good catch.

#38188 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I wasn’t even thinking it’s April now, lol. Here’s a question that I hope to have answered: if it’s not on the list now, what happened to cause it to “fall off”?

#38193 Report Abuse
    Dori

Good question Marie. I printed out March’s list and the only change is the illumination of THK. I really would like to know why? Hopefully someone in the know will read our posts and answer.

#38194 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’m glad you printed it out, I assumed the prior months would be available. Guess I should print out April & hope to find out why THK isn’t on the new list.

#38196 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I’m wondering if it has anything to do with the recent discussion on the HK review site. There were a few users that complained of undigestable alfalfa stems in the food.

#38197 Report Abuse
    Dori

Marie. I had printed the March list because I figured it would be just easier as I went down the list and then checked ingredients to see if there was anything that Katie could eat. I too am surprised though that you just can’t go back and see the previous months. I just printed out April’s list. This may be a bug they need to work out. Starting the Editor’s Choice was work enough and now there needs to be some tweaking as we all point different things out that they might not have thought we’d want.

C4C. I too was wondering if it was all the alfalfa stem complaints. I was feeding THK for quite a while and never found an abundance of stems, I certainly would have noticed them in the food or the poop. I never noticed in either and I’m the human pooper scooper here and am always checking their poop when I pick it up cause of Katie’s many issues. Poops have been well formed, no smell, no sticks, nothing undigested when on THK. So was I just lucky or a few others not so lucky. I do agree I would assume the leaf of the alfalfa would be the beneficially nutritional part of the alfalfa not the stems. I just assume the leaves had been ground down and they’re in the mix and for all we know they are.

#38198 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Dori-
    Did you happen to print the budget friendly as well? I was wondering if there were any changes to that list?

#38200 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Hah, yup. I hadn’t even gone and looked since it changed over to April. Hopefully Mike can answer that question for us

#38207 Report Abuse
    Dori

C4C Sorry I didn’t. I looked at the list but I already knew there wasn’t anything on it that allergy girl here could eat so I didn’t bother. I wish I could buy some budget friendly foods but they all seem to include either white potatoes, rice, soy, corn, grains, alfalfa and the list goes on with Katie Mae and her issues. I have never had a dog with allergies to anything before. Honestly we’ve had her for 4 1/2 years and she is by far the most expensive dog I have ever had between surgeries, allergies, foods, dental, etc. etc. (She was the runt and due to be put down). She is also the sweetest most loving dog I have ever had. Her nic name here at home is “Mushy Gushy” even the neighbors call her Mushy Gushy and funny thing is she answers to it. Cause that’s what she is.

#38217 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Well I will chime in about THK and the alfalfa. My Shih Tzu ( Tootie) is my Poultry allergy girl and after switching her to Nutrisca ( Salmon and chickpea ) and adding in sardines and halibut she had been doing fine up until yesterday afternoon then started chewing on her feet. I had already bought a box of THK Zeal before but she wouldn’t touch it but last night she ate it with some added sardines and halibut and low and behold this morning her poop had stems of alfalfa in it. It looked like she had been outside eating grass and I follow them around the backyard to watch everyone’s poop ( Yes I know my husband says I am loony too) My dogs are never left unattended even in our own backyard because I am such an over protective mother hen with my girls. Plus I have one that is my walking epipen so I really have to watch her because she is allergic to insect bites and bee stings ETC. So I went through the box of Zeal and there is longer stems of alfalfa in it. I am super disappointed being that I paid so much once again for a food that will not work. It is all so crazy how these days dog food has to be such a huge scare issue. My dogs are my little children and to think of loosing any of them makes me just get teary eyed. I think the older I get the more attached I get and I am sick of trial and error with just trying to do the right thing by my girls. I am 51 years old and I have had quite a few dogs in my lifetime but I have not ever had as many food issues and allergies with dogs before these 4 and I believe it is in the food that is causing all these problems with dogs these days. We are completely at the mercy of dog food manufacturers unless we have time to cook healthy meals at home for our pets but that is not always feasible for most that are working hard for retirement. Ugh I nominate no foods because I have yet to find that one that even comes close to helping a couple of my special needs ones.

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by NectarMom.
    #38222 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve fed THK for years. In the past year, I’ve fed Thrive, Zeal and Embark. I don’t know which of those contain alfalfa but I’ve never seen any large stems. If it’s Zeal, I have a box I’ll be opening in about a week and will be looking.

Why would the fact that someone found alfalfa stems in THK cause that to be removed?

I’m going to make a suggestion that if a food is removed from the list, we get a reason why it was.

#38223 Report Abuse
    Dori

Great idea Marie. It’s hard enough keeping up with all these foods, reviews, try to figure out manufacturers and then when you think your good to go with the food list one is removed but we didn’t know it and don’t know why.

I really don’t know if it was the stem issue but I do recall, and actually I still think it’s going on, with Aimee and maybe Shawna on the alfalfa stems. Someone else first started it about a week or two and posted some pictures of the stems and didn’t like the response he/she got from THK and it took off from their. Seriously, for me, if I was still feeding THK even if I saw stems (a few, not tons) I wouldn’t really have an issue. Like I said, what’s the big deal? I don’t get it but it wouldn’t be the first time I don’t understand something and I’m pretty sure it won’t be the last.

#38224 Report Abuse
    Dori

Ok everyone. I just got a DUH? moment and sent Mike an email and asked the question about THK being removed from the April 2014 list.

Yey! My mind is still functioning, albeit, slowly even with my stressing over Hannah’s liver.

#38225 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hey guys –

The subject of brands being removed from the Editor’s Choice Report has been addressed (by Dr. Mike) in the FAQ section:

“Why was a brand removed from the Editorā€™s Choice list?

Members should not be surprised to see some changes to our Editorā€™s Choice list as new information is discovered or brought to our attention.

So, in the spirit of keeping the list short enough to be useful to our readers, we may sometimes be compelled to remove one good company to make room for others under consideration.

Of course, there are many reasons a particular brand may or may not be included. And these reasons are typically subtle.

In any case, to ensure our freedom to make these opinion-based adjustments freely and as needed, we must reserve the right to keep some of the rationale we use to make these decisions private.”

/frequently-asked-questions/about-editors-choice/

#38226 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

NectarMom

Let THK know that you have a box of food with alfalfa stems that are too big. They have had this issue in the past and fixed it, but this time they are saying they won’t look into it until someone else complains about it.

#38232 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

So was a different food added to the list or was just one removed?

#38233 Report Abuse
    Dori

One was removed, none added in it’s place.

#38235 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

The answer to most of your questions about how we manage the EC list can be found about midway down the Editor’s Choice FAQ page.

The answer to the question about why brands are sometimes removed from the list follows:

“Members should not be surprised to see some changes to our Editorā€™s Choice list as new information is discovered or brought to our attention.

“So, in the spirit of keeping the list short enough to be useful to our readers, we may sometimes be compelled to remove one good company to make room for others under consideration.

“Of course, there are many reasons a particular brand may or may not be included. And these reasons are typically subtle.

“In any case, to ensure our freedom to make these opinion-based adjustments freely and as needed, we must reserve the right to keep some of the rationale we use to make these decisions private.”

Hope this helps.

#38236 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That’s what I thought.

#38238 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

So people who paid to join say, tomorrow, don’t get to see a complete list? This is why I think having a link to the previous month is helpful.

#38239 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

No matter when you join (yesterday, today or tomorrow), you’ll ALWAYS have full access to the complete EC list as it exists at the time you view it. The presence of any brand on the list is based upon merit only and not on some predetermined quota. Or on the day of the month.

Please keep in mind that Editor’s Choice is a service — not a list. So, the value you get as a member comes just as much (and maybe even more) from the brands you DON’T find on the list as those that you do.

From the FAQ page which has been posted from the very day Editor’s Choice was launched:

How many recommended brands are included in the Editorā€™s Choice list?

We have no plans to limit the number of Editorā€™s Choice brands to a specific number. However, at any given time, we would expect the total to vary somewhere between 10 and 20 companies.

How often do you add or remove dog food brands from the Editorā€™s Choice section?

In most cases, our list of Editorā€™s Choice companies should remain relatively stable with only occasional additions to ā€” or subtractions from ā€” our selected group.

However, members should expect to see some changes to our lists as new information is discovered or evolving events are brought to our attention.

#38240 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Well if it was not for this forum I would not know what I was feeding my dogs so I am grateful and I have learned so much just from this site. Thank you for all you do.

#38293 Report Abuse
    Chelsea l

Victor grain free dog food

#38296 Report Abuse
    Karen B

I have been feeding my 14 month Lab Nature’s Variety Instinct for most of her life. She does very well on it and is lean and muscular. I have spoken with the company and they told me up front that the rabbit is sourced from China. I stick with the Turkey/Duck kibble and rotate cans of venison, beef & chicken. It is a 5 star on the list yet it did not make this list. Now I wonder and worry. Can I get any feedback as to why it did not make it? Should I change foods?

#38300 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

This list is never going to have more than a few of the very, very best foods in the opinion of the editors. There are many perfectly good foods that will never make this list for one reason or another. Don’t sweat it. However diet rotation is always the way to go, so yes, switch foods, and then switch again, and again, then switch back.

#38305 Report Abuse
    chaywatson

I mentioned the brand IandLoveandYou yesterday and commented that I had read some negative things. On reflection of that comment, I thought it only fair to say that I have read and spoken with people who have had a positive experience as well. In my short length of time with using the product my experience has been a positive one. Not only does my “picky” dog like it but both my dogs coats have shown significant improvement. My cattle dog was having intestinal problems which have cleared up. For both dogs, as stools go, awesome improvement.

#38306 Report Abuse
    Karen B

Thank you so much for the very quick response! I will take your advice and switch food for awhile and hope for the best! I am so thrilled to have people like you watching over our furbabies!

#38308 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Karen, you are very welcome!!

Hi chaywatson, the only real negative I have heard about I&L&Y is that their customer service is nonexistent, which can be a huge deal breaker when you have special needs dogs and they won’t answer the simplest question. And is a real problem if they ever have a recall.

#38461 Report Abuse

I wanted to chime in on the THK topic. I have been using it for about 6 years now. I’ve used every formula they make. I recently bought a box of Zeal and didn’t notice any abnormally large alfalfa pieces in it. I just joined recently so I didn’t know they were on the list and subsequently removed from it but I think they deserve to be on it. So I would nominate The Honest Kitchen.

#38468 Report Abuse
    Dori

I agree with you RescueDaneMom. Although I’m not able to feed it because I believe Katie has developed an issue with alfalfa I would have continued to use it. My other two girls are fine on the formulas but Katie girl with all her allergies and intolerances is also the damn poop eater so everyone must eat what she does so as not to upset her system when she eats their poop. Regardless of what I have tried in the last 4 1/2 years there is absolutely nothing I can do to stop her. I never let the girls go out in the yard by themselves. I run around picking up poop as it comes out of all of them before she can get any. BUT, hubby is not diligent. Opens the door and lets them out when I’m out on errands. I’m at the point of thinking that if I’m out of the house the two younger gals will go in their crates and kitchen will stay in the kitchen and NOONE will go out if I’m not home to let them out and supervise and pick up poop.

But, yes, I agree THK should have stayed on the EC list and if something is going on and had to be removed then we should no why and what happened to change something that it needed to be removed. And, no, I never saw an abundance of alfalfa stems ever in either the Zeal or the premix.

#38507 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I agree Dori, since I’ve been feeding THK for over 8yrs, I’d like to know why it was removed. It says on the FAQ that changes can cause removal for a food; I’d just like to know why.

#38528 Report Abuse
    Bonnie B

Great Life? Pioneer Naturals? Thoughts on these?

#38529 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Great Life has been discussed somewhere on here, i assume it has to do with their silent recalls

#38660 Report Abuse
    Tina

Blue Buffalo Wilderness?

#38664 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I love Wellness, Annamaet and Dr. Tim’s and Fromm. I’m very glad to see that they’re on the Editor’s Choice list, as well as on the GMO free list. I also love Victor dog food. It is only on the budget friendly list, which is great. It does have some GMO free formulas, as stated on their website. I’m not sure if all their foods are GMO free, though, so I guess that may be why they’re not included. I just feel they should be at least on the GMO free list, my opinion of course.

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by Mom2Cavs.
    #38676 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

My bag of Victor grain free joint health does not state that it is GMO free. But, I’m not sure which ingredient would be GMO?

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 1,192 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.