French Bulldog Puppy – Dry food suggestions – Please help

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health French Bulldog Puppy – Dry food suggestions – Please help

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jessica W

Hi all,

I have a 6 month French Bulldog puppy and we currently have him on Castor & Pollux Organix Grain-Free Organic Small Breed Recipe Dry Dog Food (to my understanding this food is made by Merrick). We have had him on this food since we got him at 3 months old. He likes it a lot. However, he poops A LOT (more than any other dog I have ever had). Also, his stool has shape to it but is never solid. It always borders on diarrhea. He is completely healthy otherwise and has had fecal testing done which always comes back negative.

I am beginning to think that it is the food that is causing this issue, and we are thinking about switching dog food brands. Does anyone have suggestions as to what food we should try next? I have done tons of research but there are so many brands out there and so many differing opinions….thoughts?

#111243 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Are you free feeding? Leaving food out all day long?
    If so, not a good idea.
    Try a food with NO potato. Measured amounts twice a day with a splash of water added.
    Zignature, Nutrisca, Pro Plan Focus as a base, add a bit of scrambled egg (no milk) cooked in a tiny bit of olive oil as a topper.

#111244 Report Abuse
    CockalierMom

The food you are currently feeding does not appear to have potatoes so there is no reason to rule out an ingredient that you are not feeding.

Do you know what your puppy was eating when you brought him home and was his stool soft then? Was there a reason you chose to go grain free. Is there a price point you need to consider?

#111245 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Just read the ingredients. Castor and Pollux is laden with sweet potato.
    I avoid all potato for one dog that is sensitive to potato.
    Any potato (white, sweet) causes diarrhea within two weeks of starting him on the said food.

#111275 Report Abuse
    Jessica W

Hi all,

Thank you for all your feedback so far. I measure his food out and he is on a set feeding schedule. My price point is about the cost of the food he is on now. I’d be willing to pay as much as $50-$60 for a 13lb bag. I also hope to find something that could be purchased at Petco or petsmart. Without having to order online. I like to have the brand we choose easily accessible just in case.

Thank you!!!

#111276 Report Abuse
    Jessica W

Oh and also yes his stool was soft from the time we brought him home which is why I switched his food originally. The only time is seems to get really solid is if I make him homemade chicken and rice or homemade ground beef and rice.

#111280 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Like I said.
    Find a food with NO POTATO
    Try it and see, Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach, would be worth a try (as a base)
    Just my opinion.
    Hope this helps. /forums/topic/food-advice/#post-110547

#111281 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Hey check out merrick’s classic chicken and brown rice with peas. Or their small breed classic. Maybe won’t be as rich but are still good foods with good grains in them.
    Ps. Don’t be scared of potatoes. Just find afood that doesn’t list them OR peas very high in the ingredients list. Potatoes aren’t anything to be scared of. I’ve seen more pea issues myself tbhbit unless you can rule out your dog is sensitive to one of them there’s no cause for concern.

Also if you’re willing to spend that much on food I would just get away from kibble all together. Check out natures variety raw for small breeds. On that budget you should be able to comfortable feed your dog a high quality diet. Or make your own raw/home cooked balanced diet if you have the time.

#111293 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Jessica,

I have a dog with IBD & Sweet Potato + Potato works excellent for Patch & other dogs with IBS, IBD & Sensitive stomach & Bowel, the Royal Canine Vet Nutrionist told me years ago when I thought Patch couldnt eat potato, its very rare for a dog to be allergic to potatoes that’s why Potato is used in vet diets…….
    I would look for a new kibble that has only 1 meat protein NOT Chicken & has 1-2 carbs that are Potato & Sweet Potato…
    there’s “Wellness Simple” Turkey & Potato or Salmon & Potato but both formula’s have peas still worth a try or look at “Natural Balance” Sweet Potato & Bison or Sweet Potato & Fish or Potato & Duck formula’s, these 3 formula’s do not have any peas, chickepeas or lentils, when I looked at the Kibble your boy is eating it could be a few ingredients he’s reacting too, the chicken?, tapioca?, chickpeas?, peas?, chicken liver?, organ meats kidney, heart & liver can cause sloppy poos or diarrhea when too much is consumed, liver is best given as a treat not in a kibble, it might be too much for a dog who has bowel problems, it could be the Alfalfa meal? there was a dog last week that was eating a kibble similar & it had Alfalfa meal as well he was doing sloppy poos/diarrhea or it could be the sunflower meal & there’s blue berries?…
    So its best to start with a very limited ingredient kibble with only about 2-4ingredients, then once he’s doing firm poo’s say he’s eating the “Natural Balance” LTD & is doing really well then start adding 1 fresh cooked ingredient to his diet as well say cooked chicken & see does his poos start going sloppy?? or start feeding say the “Wellness Simple” formula that has peas in it & see does his poo’s go soft?? or you could try “Canidae” Pure Small Breed formula’s it has 1 meat protein, peas, lentils, egg if he’s reacting to the other brand kibbles that have potatoes but I think he’ll react more to the peas & lentils but you never know??
    Changing & rotating kibbles will strengthen in immune system & make his stomach & bowel stronger… Whatever you do make sure you only introduce 1 thing at a time…Tell us how he’s going after he has a diet change…. Keep a diary & write down what brand & formula of kibble you’ve tried what fresh foods you’ve added to his diet etc..
    Best to start doing his elimintion diet now it sounds like you’ll eventually have to do one & work out what he can & can eat… He might do better on a rice & 1 meat protein kibble??

#111297 Report Abuse
    Jessica W

I think I am going to start by buying a small bag of Natural Balance Limited Ingredient dog food with Brown Rice as opposed to any potato ingredients and see how that goes for him. I will let everyone know how it turns out!

#111298 Report Abuse
    CockalierMom

Hi Jessica,
    Since your boy had problems digesting his previous kibble and now the Organix kibble, but yet responds well to home cooked food, I would suggest you consider adding canned food to his kibble to see how he does. Get one that can be fed alone and not just supplemental so that it will be balanced and work up to a 50/50 dry and wet.

#111299 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Add a bit of the boiled chicken and rice and a splash of water to the kibble during the transition, then just a bit of boiled chicken and a splash of water when his stools are normal.
    I don’t care for Natural Balance. Ever since Dick Van Paten sold the company many years ago the food has not been the same.
    Are you sure it has no potato? Because Natural Balance was one of the foods my terrier developed diarrhea on……
    High fiber? Maybe? Keep it simple.
    Good luck 🙂

PS: Oh, okay. I guess you mean this one. https://www.chewy.com/natural-balance-lid-limited/dp/33235

#111335 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Natural Balance began in 1989 when Van Patten was a guest on John Davidson’s show. Van Patten had lunch with the show’s band drummer[who?] who rescued dogs and cats. Van Patten told him when he was a kid he had snakes, alligators, and other animals. The drummer and Van Patten had an idea of making a health food for dogs. At the time, Van Patten played tennis with a veterinarian and she said the best quality food should have no filler, no wheat, no corn, no soy, and no by-products.
    Many of Natural Balance’s dry formulas maintain this initial ingredient list; others, such as the dog food rolls, include wheat flour and sugar. As of 2014, the food rolls have been reformulated to not contain wheat flour and instead utilize brown rice.
    Initially Natural Balance lost money, until the brand was picked up by Petco and featured in more than 625 stores.
    On May 22, 2013, Natural Balance merged with Del Monte, maker of pet foods such as Kibbles ‘n Bits, Meow Mix and Milo’s Kitchen. In March 2015 The J.M. Smucker Company purchased Natural Balance and the Big Heart Pet Brands from Del Monte.

above is an excerpt from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Balance_Pet_Foods

#111340 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Pro Plan Puppy or Sport 26/16 which is all life stages. My dogs always have excellent stool on Pro Plan because of how digestable it is.

#111352 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Jessica-
    Has the vet recommended using FortiFlora to help get your puppy’s stomach better? It’s a probiotic that is sold mostly by vets and some online sites. I have found it to be helpful with loose stools and gas for my dogs. I think you’re on the right track by going with a limited ingredient formula as well.

I hope you find the magic formula!

#111916 Report Abuse
    Jessica W

Hi all,

I just wanted to follow-up and thank you all again for your suggestions and help. I THINK WE FOUND THE ONE!!!!

After some shopping around we ended up going with Petco’s new brand called WholeHearted. Its a grain free, NO potato, dry dog food. Specifically, we chose WholeHearted Grain Free All Life Stages Lamb and Lentil Formula Dry Dog Food. This food also contains probiotics.

1. HE LOVES IT
    2. Solid poops for the first time since we got him, and he is now 6 months old. YAY!
    3. It is way cheaper than any of the other brands we have tried

Eventually, once we can get a bigger freezer, I will be transitioning into cooking for him. I found some great French Bulldog food recipes on YouTube that I would like to try. Below I have pasted a link to he product page for the food we have him on currently. I hope this can help someone else who may be struggling with some of the same issues we were.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/wholehearted-grain-free-all-life-stages-lamb-and-lentil-formula-dry-dog-food-25-lbs-2739327?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp2739327&sc_intid=2739327&cm_mmc=PLA-GG-_-PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY17_SCShopping-Branded-_-Non+VIP-Branded-_-58700003751703094&kwid=p29415747012&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAiA24PVBRBvEiwAyBxf-YbQ094R4-Y9fsrCe9ot5GKCeAa817a29CkfUhrpOZt-pmJVFpUToBoCCPsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

#118959 Report Abuse
    S M

When reading your original post, it was if I had wrote it. My 15 week old frenchie poops ALL the time. Like 10-12 time a day. Vet checked for any intestinal worms or parasites and everything was fine. She’s high energy so it’s not slowing her down. Found your post Thursday and went and bought the exact food you suggested Friday morning. So far so good! It’s 11:30 Saturday morning and she’s only pooped once this entire morning! Usually we would be about 5x. Now to figure out how to get her to stop peeing in her crate at night! Thanks for updating your post with answers!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.