🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Kayla

Has anyone used this brand of treats before? Any opinions on it? I usually get Pure Balance treats since my Dog is doing really well on it and also really loves the Pure Balance food. However, I am looking to get him new treats for Christmas.

#59561 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

If you are talking about the DreamBone chew treats, I would definitely not recommend them. Here is the ingredients list for the chicken treats:

Corn, Chicken, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Fructose, Pork Gelatin, Barley Malt Syrup, Maltodextrin, Sweet Potatoes, Peas, Carrots, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Ferrous Sulfate, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Sulfate, Artificial Flavor, Niacinamide, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate (preservative), Sodium Pyrophosphate, Sodium Propionate (preservative), Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Vitamin E, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, FD&C Red 40.

You don’t want to feed treats with Corn, or Fructose, or artificial sweeteners, or coloring. The Pure Balance treats (the freeze-dried ones anyway) are great though. Head over to the “most recommended dog treats” thread (stickied at the top of the page) to get some more treat ideas.

#59572 Report Abuse
    Kayla

Thank you!! 🙂

#59573 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Your welcome!

#59623 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I just realized that I had mixed up the treats you are currently using, you are using Pure Balance and I thought of Pure Bites. Sorry about that! I think the Pure Balance treats are good, the food is good anyway and while I can’t seem to get the ingredients online it says the do not contain corn, wheat, or soy.

#59649 Report Abuse
    Kayla

It’s okay 🙂 I am using Pure Balance right now.. I was looking at another brand… Dreambone because it said it has no wheat, corn or soy… But, I also don’t want to give him something that is bad and will harm him.

#59684 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Wait, really?! The dream bone treats that I was looking at definitely have corn. Are we looking at the same treat?

Edit: Just saw your post in the other thread, we are looking at different treats. Those treats look better, but not great. Other users have given you suggestions on that thread. 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #59969 Report Abuse
    Kayla

I was shopping at Walmart and some of there treats do have corn in them :/ I didn’t get the ones that do have corn in it, I got the ones without it because it looked better but honestly I had no idea how good they were because I know nothing about ingredients. I did try to give him one before I posted it on here…and he didn’t even eat it nor touched it so I assumed something wasn’t right or he didn’t like it lol

I tossed them in the trash and will look more better ones 🙂

Thanks 🙂

#59971 Report Abuse
    Kayla

He seems to love the Pure Balance treats, the dry food and also the wet food by Pure Balance also! I am just trying to find different brands besides sticking with the same one lol

#59975 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Rotation is definitely good! Look around the 4 and 5 star reviews on this site for food ideas, for treats there are some other topics in the forums that have good ideas. You can also make your own treats, here are two topics about that:

For treats in general: /forums/topic/has-anyone-made-homemade-dog-treats/

For frozen treats: /forums/topic/recipe-for-a-frozen-dog-treat-like-frosty-paws/

A topic about things to look for in commercial treats: /forums/topic/your-most-recommended-dog-treats/

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #59980 Report Abuse
    Kayla

I am currently looking at those links already! 🙂 I am thinking about homemade, might be cheaper in the long run!! I just have to see and hope if my Dog will like them! He tends to be picky on food and treats.

#59981 Report Abuse
    Kayla

What about plain yogurt? Is that good and healthy? Just a little bit added to their dog food.

#59982 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Homemade is almost always cheaper, and there are lots of recipes you could try! I made a batch of treats today using canned food, the recipe is on page 2 of the homemade treats topic. Plain yogurt can make a great topper, just make sure it doesn’t make up more than 10% or 20% of the meal.

#59984 Report Abuse
    Kayla

I just saw that… I will try that recipe! I recently got more canned food because I usually mix it in with his food or give him a little for a treat. You used safflower oil I think? I don’t have… all I have a veggie and cresco and I don’t think that is safe. Can you get that at Walmart?

#59986 Report Abuse
    Kayla

Also, were can I get plain pumpkin? I tried Walmart…but all I could find was the already seasoned one :/ Maybe, I wasn’t looking in the right spot. I am going shopping this weekend.

#59988 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I’m pretty sure any oil is fine. I’m not sure greasing the pan is even necessary. Canned pumpkin should be at any grocery store, I don’t usually shop at Walmart so I don’t know where it is there. If you want to use safflower oil you could probably get it at a grocery or natural foods store, with the other vegetable oils.

#59992 Report Abuse
    Kayla

I know there is an natural food store near by I will look there.. I never heard of Garbanzo Bean flour before.. I will look at Walmart online to see if they might have it in store. If not, try the natural food store. Thanks 🙂 I will make them this weekend.

#59994 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Chick pea flour would also work. Actually, just about any kind of flour works in the recipe, but I like to use grain-free flour.

#59997 Report Abuse
    Kayla

I just have regular all purpose flour. I am not sure if that flour would be safe or settle well. He has a sensitive stomach sometimes.

#59998 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

It would be safe for him to eat, but it might not settle well if he has wheat sensitivities. Personally I think grain-free is healthier, but some people think it doesn’t really matter.

#60007 Report Abuse
    Kayla

I am not sure if he has wheat sensitivities. I do know anything corn does not settle well with him. So far, He is doing really well with Chicken and Brown rice dry food by Pure balance and had no unwanted accidents or smelly gas or anything like that. I recently started to transition Pure Balance Grain Free Bison and Pea dry food mixed in with the other food and he is still doing really well! Personally, I think he likes the Bison better than the Chicken one. lol But, I wanted to try the Grain free/different flavor because I heard Rotation is a good thing. He also does well on the wet food but I switch it up with different flavors.

#60009 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

If he does okay with rice then you could also use brown rice flour. I’ve also heard oats used as binders in homemade dog treats, but that changes the consistency which some dogs don’t like.

#60016 Report Abuse
    Kayla

Interesting~ I probably won’t try the oats since Dexter is a little picky! I will try one of the flours that you listed 🙂

#60018 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Good luck! 😀

#60884 Report Abuse
    Kayla

I finally made the treats….and he wasn’t to fond of them! He ate it but…didn’t really like them too much! :/ One picky dog! lol!

#60891 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

That’s okay. Not every treat is a winner. Does he tend to like meat treats better?

#60896 Report Abuse

My girls both love the Etta Says chews.

#60897 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

More similar preferences. 😀

#60930 Report Abuse

Dog Obsessed when i posted that last night i was thinking that, lol!

#62796 Report Abuse
    Peggy

My dogs like both the Dream Bones and the Busy Bones. Especially my JRT,
    He’s a chewer and if I have to keep bones, chew toys, etc around the house for him.
    My LadyBug could not care less about toys, but likes her chew bone every morning.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Peggy.
    #70472 Report Abuse
    charlie j

do not buy this product! it is made in china so there could be anything in it. I gave this to my dog and he just looked at it and whined. he would sit far away from it and stare at it. this is very unusual behavior for my dog. he was scared of it, he would run away from it and whine at it or pick it up and move it farther away from him, this has never happened to him with any other bone or dog treat in the past. usually he would eat it very quickly and move on, but with these he is having very strange behavior. this has happened with both the peanut butter and original flavor.

#77799 Report Abuse
    Cat A

Dont buy these dream bones. Run away far away.
    Gave these to my dog and suffered major illnesses. He was in perfect health until he had these treats. I feel its my fault ssince i did not read the ingredients nor where they were made…China. A main ingredient is sorbitol, a super strenth laxative. It caused my dog a severe case of diarrhea, in turn he became dehydrated, issues with his pancreas and blood enzyme levels. He is currently under a vets care and could have died from this. Do not buy them……!!!!!

#80898 Report Abuse
    Sherri P

Hi, God Bless Everyone,

My Lab Tank Drake, likes these bones. He is a very sensitive doggy & everything seems to upset his tummy. The vet recommended this, so My husband & I started buying him Grain Free dog food by Rachel Ray which has helped him tremendously & this DreamBone which is rawhide free, cause our boy tank cannot eat rawhide either, without vomiting all over the place. I have read a lot of your comments & I am posting what the ingredients are in this: which I am copying right off the bag. DreamBone- (Dino chews) Grain Free, Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Helps maintain healthy teeth & gums, natural added vitamins…. Sweet potato, flour, pea flour, chicken, vegetable glycerin oil, dried brewers yeast, calcium carbonate, peanut butter, fish oil, dried kelp source of chlorophyll, dried tomato, calcium ascorbate source of vitamin c, vitamin e supplement, rosemary extract. Plus no GMO’s. All I can say Tank hasn’t vomited up by eating them. Which makes Dad & Mom Happy & Doggy Happy too 🙂

#90877 Report Abuse
    David D

My 12 lb Yorkie mix loves DreamBones and has never had a symptom of any kind from them. However, I give them to her in moderation. One Mini DreamBone on Saturday night while the rest of us are having popcorn and one fourth of a DreamBone stick if she eats all her food (because she’s always been a finicky eater – it helps!) but no more than one piece of a stick per day. Too much of anything can make a dog sick so I keep DreamBones around as an occasional special treat for Gracie. Otherwise she gets USA-made biscuits or jerky. BTW, DreamBones are now made in Vietnam rather than in China.

#90886 Report Abuse
    Diana L

We had a horrible experience with the dreambone (no rawhide) alternative treats this weekend. Both of my dogs began vomiting and having bloody stools shortly afterwards. One was dead in about 24 hours in a pool of blood from her mouth. I submitted an online report to the FDA in hopes these will get recalled.

#103322 Report Abuse
    Regina S

Dream Bones Dream Naturals. Beef with sweet potatoes contain
    Beef, beef liver, lamb, sweet potatoes, vegetable glycerin-from soy, sesame seeds, rosemary, dried chicory, natural flavors, tocopherols- bit E. Made in
    In New Jersey. Not sure what you were talking about with all those other ingredients? They come highly recommended by vets.

#103323 Report Abuse
    Diana L

In response to Regina S. The bag of Dreambones that made both of our dogs very sick and caused the death of one of them was made in CHINA, but distributed from NJ. It’s real small and difficult to find on the packaging, but definitely made in China. We had the bag of treats tested and there was stuff in them that was not on the packaging. It’s also suspected that air might have gotten into the bag of treats that may have caused them to become brittle, leading to the internal bleeding and vomiting.

#137459 Report Abuse
    Connie H

Our ten month old puppy had one mini Dream Bone from Target last night. Since then he’s has diarrhea in multiple indoor places. Suggestions? I’ve given him little food today — just when he was really teasing. Help?

#137469 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I would take him to the vet today, asap. He may be dehydrated. He may have an obstruction. He may need prescribed medication.
    The vet will advise about diet.

#142234 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Please don’t feed the dream bones!! I had a very bad experience with them. When my dog was 2 years old I gave him one and he had diarrhea and pooping blood. I stopped the dream bones and thank God he was fine. I don’t recommend any rawhide or chews that is just my opinion. Also no pig ears either.

#146555 Report Abuse
    logan R

These are made in Vietnam now and poisonous. They killed my dog and many others.

It is horrible that these products haven’t been recalled and dogs are still dying.

Please send emails to the FDA:

ombuds@oc.fda.gov
    AskCVM@fda.hhs.gov
    penny.harris@fda.hhs.gov

They are aware that Petmatrix products are poisonous and can add your information to the case.

#192466 Report Abuse
    Steven C
    Participant

Our dog, a Havanese, loved Dream Bones, particularly the sticks wrapped in chicken strips. She was eating these nearly exclusively for the past few years. She died recently of cancer and had just turned ten.
    I did notice these treats were made in China and I noticed also that sorbitol was an ingredient. At times, she did get loose stools, and maybe they occurred when she ate a lot of them?
    Not sure if the cancer (which showed up as a mass on her liver in the X-ray we had taken) was a direct result of her eating Dream Bones.
    I sincerely hope not – in any case, I think when we get another dog eventually, we will not buy any food products from China or outside the US.

#192843 Report Abuse
    Carly H
    Participant

Dream bones are made of plastic like the kind they use for dog bowls, melamine. Plastic! Dogs have died from obstructions and cancer and more! Don’t give your dog anything from china ! Covid , dog treats nothing from china !

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.