šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 42 posts - 1,151 through 1,192 (of 1,192 total)
  • Author
    Rolando M

I recently started buying Canadian dog food – Grand Cru by CaniSource.

It’s dehydrated so it’s just a step away from raw food but easier to handle as it’s like kibble.

How good is it?

Thanks,

Phoenix.

#109706 Report Abuse
    joseph y

Taste of the Wild, Pacific Stream, adult dry. My Jack Russell rescues (4) have done really well for the past 7 years on it.

#109707 Report Abuse
    Keith H
    Participant

To Thomas M. Check out the brand “Zignature”. Not cheap, but more reasonably priced than many.

#109812 Report Abuse
    Marilu R

Are there ever considerations in the future to do analysis on vegan dog food brands amongst each other? The market for that type of dog food is getting bigger so it would be nice as a consumer to see reviews and options. My dog is allergic to meat proteins so I give him V-dog which is an excellent vegan dog food but I am always open to hearing what other brands of dry vegan dog food are on the market and how they compare to each other.

#109946 Report Abuse
    Michelle R

I would like to nominate Grandma Lucy’s and Zignature. More information like company reports would be great

#109981 Report Abuse
    Patricia S

How about Nulo Grain Free Salmon and Peas recipe? You gave it 5 stars so Iā€™m not sure why itā€™s not on your list!

#110010 Report Abuse
    Victoria M

Iā€™d like to nominate The Honest Kitchen – my dogs love their dehydrated, grain free turkey. Made with organic, human grade ingredients.

#110011 Report Abuse
    LORI L

I Would like to nominate Trudog. I’ve been using for about 4 years now. My furbaby absolutely loves it and she’s doing great.

#110227 Report Abuse
    MK S
    Participant

Hi Mike, please add Wag Tantrum to your list for review (https://wagtantrum.com/). I have been feeding my dog their organic adult dog food for the past 6 months with very good results – she’s a little leaner with lots of energy and a shinier coat. It’s fresh, cooked organic dog food. Ingredients are ground meat – beef or chicken, vegetables and brown rice. My dog was previously eating Stella & Chewy’s dinner patties – and – Orijen Regional Red – she was doing fine on both; she was a picky eater with the kibble, so had to mix). She really likes Wag Tantrum food, so no need to mix. I would love to garner your expertise….how does Wag Tantrum stack up to others on your list?
    Many thanks,
    Mimi

#110420 Report Abuse
    Jim W

Hello- I would like to nominate full moon dog treats. Their product seems very legitimate and our doodle loves them.

#111019 Report Abuse
    Pat F

Wondering about EVO dog food and also WYSONG dog food? Neither are on the list. Both are available online.

#111051 Report Abuse
    Cindy V

Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal low fat dry and wet. My 3 dogs eat their own food. My shish Tzu puppy of 3 months eat Royal Can in shish Tzu puppy food dry.
    Thank you

#111466 Report Abuse
    Karin L

I have been feeding my cocker spaniel Canidae No Grain, Limited Ingredients, recommended by my vet because of her very itchy skin. Canidae it not in your Editor’s Choice list and I was wondering why that is.
    Thanks for your anticipated reply,
    Karin LaVine

#111657 Report Abuse
    JoAnn C

What about RAWZ Meal Free kibble?

#111870 Report Abuse
    Steve J

I’d like to nominate the ZIGNATURE L.I.D lines of foods. My Italian greyhounds tend to have sensitive stomach and usually the less ingredients the better.
    My research led me to Zignature and so far they are doing great with it.

#111891 Report Abuse
    Valorie N

Iā€™m curious as to why the 4Health Performance didnā€™t make the EC choice. It was a 5 star product, however, it wasnā€™t listed.

#112212 Report Abuse
    Jim W

Curious about Fish 4 Dogs. Saw them at the AKC show in San Francisco and it looks like a possible good line.

#112337 Report Abuse
    Daniel G

I was scanning you list of Dry dog foods and did not see Azmira anywhere. Have you reviewed their products? I used the classic for many years with our last Dog. I would be interested in your review of their foods.

#112362 Report Abuse
    Karin L

My Cocker Spaniel had very itchy skin when we adopted her. Our vet recommended Canidae Grain Free dry food, no foul. Our dog loves their Bison and Lamb formulas limited ingredients and it has helped with the frequent scratching. I do not see that brand under your Editor’s Choice List, is there a reason for that?
    Thank you for your anticipated reply,
    Karin L.

#112649 Report Abuse
    Elaine C
    Participant

I would like to nominate what I consider an exceptional food. Dogs For The Earth. They know where all of their sources feed their animals and where that comes from! All veggies and fruit are local , fresh, non GMO, etc. Cooked food, air dried into ā€œbiscuitsā€. Located in The Keys in FL. In addition to their regular food they offer a line of limited product ā€œChelseaā€™s Blendā€. This is a blessing for my yeasty girl. Both my girls love it. I would love for you to review it.

#113139 Report Abuse
    Ashley M

Hi Mike,

I recently switched my dog to Zignature Salmon Recipe. He has a really sensitive stomach and Ive been trying to find a good fit for him for months. He is a 2 year old lab. I also have a 1 year old lab who can eat practically anything and be fine. I am worried because I don’t see zignature listed under your editors choice. I wanted to try Acana but its really expensive and I am afraid that its too high protein for my dogs (they sometimes can be in the crate for up to 6 hours/day about 2 days a week)

I also noticed you seem to list a lot of pet foods with duck or chicken or turkey. I have heard its best to stay away from anything with feathers. I also heard its good to avoid potato. I am just curious to hear what you or anyone else has to say about this topic.

Ashley

#113144 Report Abuse
    hao j

how about the honest kitchen grain freeļ¼Ÿ

#113145 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Hi Ashley,

Zignature is certainly a fine dog food. Please keep in mind that currently, there are more than 340 dog foods rated 4 stars or higher on our website. Yet (by design) Editor’s Choice includes a much smaller selection — currently, just 21 brands.

There are many reasons a particular brand may not be included on our lists.

For example, in most cases, a company may not have met all our guidelines. Or more rarely, its agents may have been unwilling to reveal important manufacturing information.

In any case, since no one on our team is a veterinarian and due to the uniqueness of each individual animal, it would be inappropriate for me to recommend a specific recipe for your dog’s GI issues.

I’m not aware of any scientific reason that it’s “best to stay away from anything with feathers”.

BTW, the reason you see so many poultry based recipes on our lists is because they are the most common meat ingredient found in the overwhelming majorities of dog foods on the market. Also, they are usually more affordable for most readers.

Five star dog foods tend to be highest in protein. Some animals find these foods too rich. So, why not try some 4 or even 3-star dog foods?

My best advice is to use “biofeedback” to help you find the best food for your pet. Try small packages of one dog food at a time. Monitor how your dog responds to each recipe you try. Then, adjust until your choice until you find the one to which your dog’s GI system responds most favorably.

Of course, it’s always best to discuss your dog’s problem with your veterinarian.

One more thing… don’t forget to check out our “Budget Friendly” dog foods list. You’ll find some super values there.

Hope this helps.

#113764 Report Abuse
    Mary B

Would you please tell me why TRUDOG is not listed? New company and freeze-dried.

#113845 Report Abuse
    Lisa C

Sorry if this is a duplicate message… Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet Grain Free – adult dry. (Specifically Duck & Sweet Potato Recipe). I see a canned version, but not the dry – curious how it rates with you guys. Been feeding it for a month now and it’s helped with allergies.

#115890 Report Abuse
    Joyce B
    Participant

Farmina N&D pumpkin formula

#117206 Report Abuse
    Michiel N

How about Earthblend? Seems like a great food. If it doesn’t meet your criteria can you tell me if it would be a good food for our Bullmastiff puppy. We’ve been feeding her Victor Hero with Chondroitin/Glucosamine but her stools are very soft. Thanks for any input.
    Here’s a list of their ingredients from there website:
    Earthblend Super Premium Natural Dog Food™
    Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Oatmeal, Barley, Millet, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Fish Meal, Beet Pulp, Carrots, Peas, Sweet Potato, Natural Flavor, Sun Cured Alfalfa, Brewers Yeast, Dried Kelp, Flaxseed Oil, Potassium Chloride, Blueberries, Cranberries, Spinach, Pumpkin, Broccoli, Choline Chloride, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid], Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Mangenese Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide), Fennel Seed, Parsley, Garlic, Barley Grass, Thyme, Burdock Root, Red Clover, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Beta Carotene, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacilillus subtilis fermentation extract, and Rosemary Extract

#117467 Report Abuse
    Charlene D

Have you researched, TruDog? Iā€™m very interested in the quality.

#117980 Report Abuse
    Nyree P

Weruva canned and dry (Caloric Harmony)

#118126 Report Abuse
    Fran H

Please review PetPlate.

#118127 Report Abuse
    Elaine C
    Participant

I would like to nominate Dogs For The Earth to be added to the top foods for 2018. They have a low glycemic food for my yeasty dog and a ā€œregularā€ food for my other girl. The food is hand dried in patty/disc form. You add water to the food
    and let it rehydrate before serving. My two Maltese girls have been on it for months and doing well. They know what the animals used for their food were fed. All local, organic, GMO free vegetables and fruits. Great company producing good food.

#139670 Report Abuse
    Michael P

I can’t find a review or any comments about Dr. Marty’s Natures Blend dog food. What are your thoughts on this brand of freeze dried raw dog food? Thank you.

#142350 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Please review Stella and Chewy’s new GRAIN INCLUSIVE kibble. Thank you.

#156070 Report Abuse
    Diana Prince
    Participant

I love Meunster Milling products. It’s a family-owned business in Texas. They have high-quality, holistic kibble that you can customize with add-ins such as coconut oil, bacon fat, salmon oil. They have grain free varieties and freeze-dried treats, all at very reasonable prices with free FedEx shipping if it’s over a certain amount. I have been feeding my dogs the chicken and pork ancient grains for several months now and I have noticed that the shedding is definitely less (I have 2 beagles). Please review their products.

#156071 Report Abuse
    Diana Prince
    Participant

FYI, Meunster Milling called me last week from TEXAS (I am in NYC), just to see how my dogs were liking their food, and how we were doing with the whole COVID-19 lockdown. Name one feed company that you know that has done that!!! When they create a custom mix, the mixing person signs their name on your bag. I like knowing I am feeding my dogs high-quality food and supporting a family-owned business.

#156158 Report Abuse
    MK S
    Participant

Please review Wag Tantrum (https://wagtantrum.com/). This is a great Texas based company that makes nutritious fresh to frozen organic dog food. They deliver locally in the Houston area and ship nationwide. My dogs love it!

#156169 Report Abuse
    Dennis M

I would like to nominate Victor dry dog food, they are based in Texas. I add a scoop to a can of Blue Stew and mix it up. My dog cleans her bowl everyday.

#156170 Report Abuse
    Laura S

I would recommend Just Food For Dogs. Love!!!!

#163641 Report Abuse
    zelda b

Nature’s Logic Distinction.

#164638 Report Abuse
    Darren B
    Participant

Diamond naturals beef

#167774 Report Abuse
    Closed Acct
    Participant

We want to make those hot summer days more enjoyable for your for your fur kids! Unlike a standard, plastic, off-the-shelf baby pool, The Paw Pool is made for dogs and is built to last.
    Foldable Dog Swimming Pools For Outside

#167814 Report Abuse
    Rhonda M
    Participant

Over a year ago we switched to American Journey Dry Salmon small bits and American Journey Wet, chicken, Lamb, and Duck all with sweet potatoes. All grain-free. I would like to nominate this brand American Journey. We have been really pleased with the results and our 11-year-old boxer, Macy, really loves it. She has been one of the most healthy dogs we have ever owned and she even acts like a puppy at times. She is graying a bit around the muzzle and the top of her head and has developed some skin tags the vet will be removing next month but other than that she is great. We really are proud to use American Journey Grain Free Dog Food.

Viewing 42 posts - 1,151 through 1,192 (of 1,192 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.