🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Akari_32
    Participant

These 2 pound boxes are samples. Says so right on the box. I’ve never seen them on the site before, so my guess is they buddied up with HK and did a promo for them. Once samples are gone, they’re gone.

Danni, yes my goldfish adventure started with Magikarp, then later Feebas and Seeking. I actually just lost Seeking last year (tried moving them from one pond to the other and couldn’t catch Feebas) but he jumped because he couldn’t find his buddy. Him and Feebas were very closely bonded. And just last week, Feebas died. She hadn’t been the same with out Seeking. It’s weird how bonded they can become to other goldfish.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Akari_32.
    #41579 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

I know when samples are gone they’re gone, Akari. But that’s not what they said. They said the recipes are discontinued. Why would they have samples/trials of discontinued products? That’s why I thought it was odd. Oh well, I ended up spending less$$, that’s always good.

#41599 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Akari, did you get your order yet? I am still waiting on mine and I ordered later the same day as you.

#41613 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Jakes Mom-
    They recently changed the packaging. Maybe the trial sizes on special were the old packaging that they are discontinuing. They still sell the 2 pound boxes on their site. They aren’t really considered samples as I have gotten samples from our feed store before when the vendor was there. They are much smaller. I haven’t got my order yet either. The tracking number they sent me said it would arrive on Friday. I sure hope I get everything that I ordered. I’ll let you know.

#41618 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Yes, I did get my order yesterday. Haven’t busted into it yet, though.

#41629 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

C4C, my order is supposed to arrive on Friday too. Still have a sample of Keen coming and a couple of other things I ordered. It was just a weird email I guess, badly phrased. Why tell me that the recipe is discontinued, how about just saying sorry, too late, samples all gone!
    On another subject, my poor Jake has been a nervous pup for the last few days. We’ve had several days of thunderstorms and tornado warnings and thunder is not his favorite thing. As I type I’m watching the Weather Channel, hoping my tornado warning will expire soon! Hate to have to make a run for the basement!

#41632 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

Thanks for the great tip Akari!! I just received my order today. They are in the new packaging and exp 2/15.

#41678 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Okay, I couldn’t help myself, Naturella pay attention! lol I ordered again on Monday, but they were out of everything except the Keen (I think?) Tried to order more than one and it wouldn’t let me, oh well. I also ordered an assortment of chews from Castor & Pollux and three mini LED lights to put on collars at night for one cent each.

Got my box today.

I also got free shipping on my less than $20 order. I used the code they said was only going to be good on Sunday for my Monday morning order. I thought what the heck, I’ll give it a try and it worked.

Jakes mom:
    Tornado season is awful, I feel for you and your poor little Jake too. My JRT was the absolute worst during thunderstorms, in her senior years she ended up needing a little help taking the edge off. Bobby is a very, very, very close second. Hope all is well.

#41689 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Bobby dog, I’m confused, what do you mean?

Also, it said my order has been delivered on the 10th!!! ARGH, dang FedEx may have just dropped it off at the leasing office at the complex and they never give any notice! I pray it is still there!!!

#41690 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Naturella:
    Awwww! That would be terrible to know your package is so close, but you can’t open it.
    🙁

Now even though I broke my budget by ordering the second time, I have to figure out how to justify shopping at my pet store on Sunday. They are having an anniversary sale; everything is 25% off. I stopped by today to take a look at their inventory. As I was leaving a delivery truck was pulling up to drop off more items for the sale.

#41693 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Bobby dog, I think I deciphered what you meant in the previous comment, lol!

Anyway, yes! I can’t wait till 9am tomorrow to go to the leasing office and grab my lovely Honest Kitchen!!! EEK!!! And I wish I could give you some shopping justification advice besides “Man those deals may be awesome!”, but that wouldn’t fly at my house anymore. Still I just got a free Nutro Ultra (one of the new entrees too) canned for free with a PetCo coupon. So that was nice! I have 2 more free cans to get too and then I need to catch the awesome deals (PetCo had some awesome cans for like 30c/50c each but the shelves were cleared!!!!

#41695 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

30c/50c is a totally awsome deal!!!! Wish I was closer to PetCo…or maybe I don’t lol. 😉

#41723 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I know, I would have still bought like a couple of those and kept them in my purse! LoL, I am a horrible person… It is a good thing I didn’t find any of the cans, lol.

But, on a brighter side, I received my THKs!!! I am so excited, and a teaspoon of the grain-inclusive turkey one is re-hydrating for Bruno’s lunch. It will be mixed with kibble so I’m not trying to starve my dog, I promise! 🙂 THK will be just a topper, but I will alternate the flavors for variety, and feed him a whole serving of it maybe once a week or so, for kicks. 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Naturella.
    #41726 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Glad you got it! I did about the same for Bentley. Gave him 1/2 cup of dry food, and a 1/8 cup of HK. Mixed it with a 1/4 cup of water and a bit of local honey (that stuff is helping him so much! After just a few days, his skin is much less red) and mixed it all together. He liked it! I gave him the grain free chicken one– whatever it’s called lol

#41727 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Yeahhhhh! I used it as a topper also. That is how I plan to use it in the future as well. I fed it for three days and found my preference was to make it in advance so it really soaked up the H2O. Bobby didn’t have a preference as to wether it was made just prior to feeding or made in advance. He did seem to tire of it after the third day; did not eat it as enthusiastically as the first day. That’s okay, I bought it to add to his variety not as his sole food. 🙂

Good luck with those cans!!!!

#41787 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yippee! Got my order today. I received all 4 boxes plus a bully stick to reach the minimum. Everything looks great. Still kinda wished I ordered more!

#41918 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Jake had his first taste of the HK “Keen” today, loved it as I figured he would. The cats were interested too, I think they could smell the turkey. I offered them a little bit and they gave me a horrified look! Oatmeal? Vegies? Are you kidding me? lol Wish I could get a sample box of the cat food. I did order a little packet for $1 but that’s not enough to really see if they would eat it full time. Very possible they would like the little sample but turn up their noses at it if I paid for a big box. I need to research a little more to figure out how much I’d need to feed the 5 cats each day vs. how many cans I buy. Really getting tired of lugging cases of cat food around, not to mention the boxes of litter! I’m getting too old for this lol!

#41923 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Jakes mom:
    You could always buy a box to test on the kitties to see if it holds their interest. If they don’t like it you could probably just let Jake finish it up since you are using it as a topper.

#41927 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Bobbydog, I’ve considered that but it’s pretty expensive to “use up” on Jake. Maybe there will be a 3.99 cat food sale one of these days! I’m guessing it’s a lot more expensive than cans anyway. I’d pay a little more for the convenience (and better for the cats) but the budget can’t change too much. BTW have you been on the HK site? If you decide to keep buying it may be better to buy from them rather than petflow. You can earn points toward free food and treats.

#41930 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Jakes mom:
    You know I Googled HK cat trials just to see if there were any deals for HK cat food, couldn’t find any. lol I did check out the HK site before I ordered the trials to see if they were old or new recipes. Not that it mattered just wanted more info on the trials recipes. I agree if you were buying HK regularily it would probably benefit the budget to buy directly from HK.

I would only buy this again if I ran into a sale. My preference is fresh or canned over HK at this time. But, I feel it is fine as a topper on a rotational basis for Bobby. He didn’t seem to be too excited to eat it after the third day.

I tried for a few weeks to get my cats to eat the Primal Chic & Salmon, only Archie liked it. Only three of my cats like NV medallions, but won’t eat them regularily. They were pretty much equivalent cost wise to premium canned foods. Those darned kitties just don’t seem to be open to anything new to eat. 🙁

I have read mixed reviews about Petflows customer service, but I am definately keeping an eye on their sales. They have great prices and I cannot complain about the customer service I received!

#41931 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Jakes Mom and Bobby Dog, I also saw that on the THK website you can get some freebies quick! I just wish a dollar spent counted for more than 1 point though, lol, but oh well…

Also, Bruno has been loving all his THKs, thank goodness! I opened all of them and put them in freezer bags and I alternate between the four like this: Chicken-Turkey-Beef-Turkey so on one day he only has 2 different ones (like the first 2 one day and the next 2 the next, then repeat, and spiced up with an occasional can of sorts) and the breakfast is always different (raw egg/coconut oil/yoghurt/pumpkin/cottage cheese/kefir – whatever I have in the fridge at the moment). So this way he gets plenty of variety. Plus occasional RMBs and natural chews at night. He’s living the good life, lol (not the BEST life… Not on all raw… But for kibble-fed dog, he’s pretty good I think). I really want to get him on Wellness, Orijen and Acana one day so we’ll see – that would be in like a year at least with all the food we got. 🙂

#41932 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Naturella:
    I love the convenience of HK and Bobby likes it; so glad Akari gave us the heads up about the sale.

I believe the perfect food is whatever your dog does best on!! 😉 I think your right, he’s living the good life, lucky dog!!!

#41936 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Bobby dog, that’s actually a nice thought – and makes me feel better – cause I do try to feed him good stuff and he seems to be doing fabulously for now. 🙂

I just always try to be conscious of good and bad things cause my roommate’s dog eats the Science Diet and she seems fine for now, for the most part, so you could say it works for her, but I wonder if she will be fine in the long run… That’s why I always try to see what are some good foods and put Bruno on them when possible.

But anyway, yes, shout out to Akari for letting us know of the deal. 🙂

#41940 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Naturella, I have seen his shiny coat in pictures. I would have no worries if I were you. You feed him well, he sees his Vet, you give him love, attention and exercise, and he has a wonderful home. He’s come a long ways since his days on the street!

Over on the cat rec thread Akari started Jakes mom, C4c and me have all been trying out the ABC diet tailored for kibble feeders from Steve Brown’s website. I was checking out his dinner mix a few months ago and stumbled across it. We have been having fun finding the ingredients, trying them out, and comparing notes. 🙂

#41944 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Awwwwh, Bobby dog! 😀 Your comments make me so happy!!! 😀 I do think he has come a long way since being covered in fleas and wounds and having bald spots and having an infected cherry eye (which is now also gone through surgery). I really can’t wait until I have the financial ability to do the same for another pooch and then foster one or two (but not more – gotta start saving up for human babies soon too, lol! 😉 ) Thank you also for following Bruno’s story closely and for all you say! I know you are a wonderful mom to Bobby and the cats as well! :)))

And what is this ABC diet for kibble feeders thing? I will have to go back into the cat food recommendations thread and check it out!

#41945 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Naturella:
    I was on Steve Brown’s website to look at dinner mixes and check out his books. I am in college full/part time, whatever I can swing, and I was going to look on websites that I buy used textbooks from to see if they had any deals on his books.

On his website I found this PDF download you pay $2.95 for listed with his books and thought I would give it a try; it was certainly within my budget. lol

It is wonderful and well worth the price. It is a basic summary of some info found in his other books, but it is about how to enhance kibble with fresh foods. He gives you two recipes to enhance anything from a one star to a five star kibble. The ingredients are items you will find in your pantry or grocery store.

Here’s the link:
    http://www.seespotlivelonger.com/home/sll/smartlist_9/books.html

#41946 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

And thanks for the “mommy” compliment!!! 😉

#41971 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Bobby dog, thanks so much for the info! I will look into those asap! 🙂

Also, I don’t know if you’re Bobby’s “mommy” or “daddy”; either way, you are a great pet parent! 🙂

#41972 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Naturella:
    You’re welcome! If you decide to purchase it, I hope you find it informative and useful just as I did! 😉

You know, I forget most of the time about the dangers of assuming something when communicating via the Internet. It is hard to convey a message sometimes through just written words but I really meant that I appreciated your comment! 🙂 And yes, I am Bobby’s mom.

#41982 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Bobby dog, I just downloaded a sample of the “Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet” and I’m in love – when I get paid on May 31st I will get both the whole book and the extra ABC thing unless it’s included in the book! 🙂

And you are right – typed words seldom have the ability to convey nuances and emotions without making one too verbose – I just wasn’t sure if I had addressed you correctly so I wanted to specify. But glad I got it right the first time! 😉 And you’re welcome! 🙂

#41990 Report Abuse
    Mareo T

Can you please provide me the information regarding the name of the company or website. thanks

#42022 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Petflow is the name of the website for the HK trials offer and the link to the offer can be found on the first page of this thread. I am not positive, but I think they sold out of all the trial boxes.

#42601 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Bobby dog, guess I don’t need to be concerned about buying HK for the cats after all. I got some small packets to try, none of them will give it a second look, let alone try it! But Jake is happy! More for him! He’s still enjoying his as a topper. I also gave some to a friend whose dog is a very picky Shiba Inu. He’s 18 mo old and that was the first time he’d ever cleaned his plate!

#42604 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I have a feeling only one of my cat’s would eat it anyway so I am just sticking to finding canned foods that will keep their interest and are hopefully budget friendly (yeah right). Lucky Jake…lol

#42613 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Jake’s Mom, you know, I also gave a friend of mine 1/2 cup of each of my 4 THKs to try and she was beating herself over not taking the deal (I also told her about it right after purchasing my boxes)… But Bruno loves it all a lot, especially when it’s all porridge-like with kibble inside! 🙂

#42615 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Bentley actually isn’t too pleased with it. Especially when it’s really thick and he has to work too hard to get it all out of his bowl (I always mix with kibble so he’s got something to chew on) LOL He’s actually left it a few times, and then the cat comes in behind him to finish it off :p

#42617 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Awh, what a bummer for Bentley! Bruno has left his a couple times but when I take it away, re-wet it and serve it again later he eats it all up – I guess it’s just a hunger thing (he doesn’t eat unless hungry, even if it’s yummy wet food – yay though – at least he’s not prone to overeating). He would however eat coconut oil by the jar unless I stop him, lol!

#42618 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

He eats it anyways, but he doesn’t like to work too hard for his food lol He could eat and eat if we let him, but I guess this stuff mixed with his dry food is just too hard to get out of the corners of the bowl, and he gets lazy LOL The cat has no problems coming over and finishing it off for him *rolls eyes* at least they both know to eat what you get or you don’t eat lol

#42619 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Ah, I see – I usually make Bruno’s pretty much liquid (soupy), but on occasion I make it a bit thicker for kicks! 🙂

#42620 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I try to add extra water to make up for the kibble, but I’m bad at judging how much I’ll need lol He also gets some raw honey in his food, which doesn’t help either… Lol

#42624 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Oh yes, honey can make things thicker!

#42634 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

what is the benefit of raw honey for dogs? I use it myself but never thought to give it to my dogs. How much do you feed them and do you feed it everyday?

#42637 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi cindy q:
    Akari is using it for Bentley’s allergies and I am sure she will be back to tell you her experience with it. I would definately look into using local honey or local bee pollen if my dog had seasonal allergies. In the mean time here’s a few links for you to check out:

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/10_9/features/Bee-Honey-Products-Help-Canines_15967-1.html

http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspot.ca/2014/01/honey-good-for-dogs-cats-honey-is.html

#42639 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Naturella:
    So funny, Bobby loves coco oil so much that I give it to him as a reward now. He goes nuts when I open the cabinet it is in. If I open the jar for my own use I have to be really quiet or he is quickly in the kitchen begging for some. He feels the same way about kefir. I use it as a reward now also.

#42643 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Bobby dog,

I still give Bruno coconut oil as a regular part of his meals every other day, but he gets homemade frozen treats that have a lot of coconut oil every once in a while. He also comes to the kitchen and looks at me while I prepare his treats and begs, but he gets nothing but a taste-test at the end until the treats are frozen and ready, lol! 🙂

#42644 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Gotta love those little furry souls, they know how to get what they want!!!! 😉

#42670 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Do you just mix it in their food? Does it taste like coconut?

#42672 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey C4c:
    It does taste like coconut. I use it on my toast in the morning and sometimes I put it in my coffee if I am on the go. I love the taste!!!

I have never mixed it in Bobby’s food. I initially put a little bit on top of his food a few days a week to start out. He ate it so I never tried to serve it to him any other way. He now gets two T/week and he loves eating it so much I don’t put it on his food anymore, he gets it as a reward for any good deed he does on that day. lol

For my cat’s I have melted it and mixed it in their food, that did not go over well. With Archie I just bury a t worth in his food/day about two to three times a week. With the other cats I melt it and serve it to them in their bowl (you can’t hide anything in their food). Sometimes they eat it, sometimes they don’t. Whatever is left over I rub it on their fur while I brush them. So basically they get it one way or another.

#42673 Report Abuse
    Naturella

C4C, I also have it in my coffee, mmm! 🙂

As for Bruno, I personally put a teaspoon in his breakfast serving of kibble every other day and I pour very warm water on it until it is on the level of the kibble and I stir it up to melt it. It melts quickly and also cools down quick somehow because of the bowl I think. Anywho, it makes a kibble-and-coconut soup that Bruno loves, and it helps him get hydrated too cause of the soupiness of it. Actually, that’s how all (or most) of his meals are. If I had a cat, I would do it for it too.

#42684 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Naturella-
    Yes, if you only had a cat…. Your life would be complete. Lol!
    Thanks for the coconut oil. I’ll give it a try. Sounds good.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.