🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Akari_32
    Participant

Sale at PetFlow! I grabbed mine this morning :p

http://www.petflow.com/explorer/brand/trials

#41088 Report Abuse
    Naturella

GIRL! Did it make you spend at least like $20-something before purchasing? Cause it’s making me and I’m mad!!!

#41089 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

No. Only $17 to fulfill their silly policy. Spent $18.96 after coupon code SHIPIT, and a bag of Cesar Millan treats.

Am I the only one not having problems with this?? Everyone on the review side is having issues too lol

#41090 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Do you know the conditions on this code? I wanna use it but it doesn’t let me, I’m going crazy!!!

#41091 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Just free shipping on any order. No minimum other than the $17 the site has implied ($17 is a weird number….).

#41092 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Doesn’t let me use it, says my cart does not satisfy the coupon requirements, but it is $17.94!!! πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™

#41093 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I called them. They said sometime during the day on May 7th they changed the coupon requirement to be $35… So yeah. You lucked out, girl! Maybe next time for me. πŸ™‚

#41094 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Awwww πŸ™ I placed my order as soon as I got the email for the sale price. Guess I just missed it. You should buy anyways! Shipping is only $4.95…. :p All that food would cost you $100+ otherwise! Plus I hear it’s a good mixer! πŸ˜‰

#41096 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Girl, I know, ahhh! It is up to the hubs this time, and he was even excited about it… Until the requirement. Meh. I will see what I can do!

#41097 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I got an email earlier that said they has $3.99 bags of Vets Choice Heath Extensions on there somewhere :p If you really want free shipping, it’s not hard to spend another $10 LOL

Even with out the free shipping, it’s a great deal! πŸ™‚

#41098 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Girlfriend, you’re killing me here! LoL! Bruno has been on Vets Choice as a mixer since September or October of last year and has enough to last him through this year (as a mixer) – I think it’s time to get him off of it for a bit, maybe I can put him on it a few months after he’s lived without it, but yes, still a great deal! πŸ™‚

Hubs and I cracked a deal – he will get the food and I pledge to not buy until the end of the year (anything COMPLETELY FREE doesn’t count though, so I am still getting my bag of NVI – MWAHAHAHAH (and a couple cans of Purina, Wellness, and Nutro I have coupons for)). But THK will last us forever as a mixer, so I am good on not needing any canned till the end of the year too! πŸ™‚

Happy me! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

#41099 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I ordered all flavors, I agree it is a good deal even with $4.95 S&H. I have not tried HK and am only interested in feeding it as a topper so this is a great buy!!! Looks like on their website the 2 lb starter boxes range in price from $15.99 to $24.99. I ordered some Castor & Pollux chews too.

#41100 Report Abuse
    Naturella

The deed is done. We have ordered all flavors on sale. For damn near 90% off, I think we did great. Now I really am banned from anything dog-food-related unless the sucker is free. But I can live with it. So can Bruno. You live and you learn, never am I going to buy more than 6bs of the same food again – we have so much Earthborn, my undersink space is bursting. BUT, now I have diversifiers – hooray! I am a happy momma, and I really will fulfill my word, even if that Petland deal of $17 for 20lbs of food (TOTW and NutriSource) sounded goooood…. I am done. Windowshopping for me only for now. πŸ™‚

Thanks, Akari, for the heads up though! If you find out about anything free, let me know! πŸ˜€

#41101 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Oh, we also got 5 Etta Says chews – 3 deer ones, 1 duck, 1 rabbit. Did I mention I had gotten a $60 box of goodies from Best Bully Sticks earlier this year? Yeah, this animal is soo set. πŸ˜€

#41102 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Awwwww, what a lucky Bruno!!!!

Since September I have been rotating foods and only have bought small bags. There are so many I want to try I can only imagine how you feel trying to finish up those large bags! lol I have a spreadsheet noting how he did and if he liked the foods so I definately could have a more limited rotation at this point, but I just can’t do it until we’ve tried as many as possible. Most importantly, Bobby is doing well and seems to like the variety. lol

#41103 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Thank you, Bobby Dog! I also think he’s lucky, if I say so myself, but you know, there’s always room for improvement!

I need to start doing that as well, so far it’s easy to keep track of like 11 or so foods, but the more we try, the more I’ll need a spreadsheet.

Also, YES, omg, those big ol’ bags! BUT, I used hard-earned money to buy them, and we are really on the not-so-wealthy-side at the moment, so I am happy to have them. And I know I keep saying I’ll stop – this time it’s for real – I will only take it if it’s free. Cause if I start “allowing” myself stuff like, “It’s just like 5 bucks, plus 5 in shipping” or whatever, it will all go downhill… Free or pass it is for me now. Lord, help me make it happen! Aleks, you can and WILL do this!

Anyway, Bruno always loves when a new food is introduced and eventually seems to get bored with the same old (didn’t know that until I had like 60 or so lbs of food stocked up, and 3 of the bags being freaking 14lbs each!)… So now I do, and next year, his diet will be different! Small bags, scouting deals constantly, no large-bag stocking up (small-bag stocking up is ok, lol). So yeah. Variety is always good, and I am happy to give it to him when I can! πŸ™‚

#41128 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’m glad you got to order them! πŸ™‚ When money is tight but you refuse to stoop to low quality pet “foods” you really do need to be opportunistic. It’s good that he understands that πŸ™‚ Do you have the freezer space to open bags and free some of them in to smaller portions? That would help with how big of bags you bought lol

#41131 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Naturella:
    I was just going to suggest what Akari suggested, freeze them or some of it, if you are able to. I know not everyone has freezer space. I have some freezer space, not much, and when I began rotating I didn’t take the large bag-lack of variety-thing into consideration for a medium sized dog. So I did buy some large bags at first because of course it is more economical. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a big bag if my budget called for it now either, but with sales/coupons I have been doing pretty well. I do have part of a large bag of food in the freezer now that I will finish soon.

I am on a very tight budget too so I know how it is. With Akari’s tips on sales/couponing I have been able to buy small bags at just a little more per pound than I would pay for large bags.

Eventually when I settle into more of a steady rotation, depending on how my finances are, I will probably buy a few large bags of food (more economical) he does well on and then throw in some small bags of other brands for a rotation. Who knows, it all depends on what Bobby needs and does well on.

Not that I am encouraging you to buy more food or anything….lol Anyway, Bruno looks great from the photos you share! His dark fur looks nice & shiny and he looks like he is a perfect weight.

#41137 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Akari and Bobby dog,

I think freezing is a great idea – problem is only freezer space we have is from the apartment’s kitchen’s fridge, which we share with another guy, so yeah, it barely holds our food, wedding cake topper for us to eat on our first anniversary next year, the roommate’s occasional frozen dinners, and Bruno’s raw and frozen treats… so not freezing kibble soon unless we obtain a chest freezer, which I want, but idk if and when we could do that.

Other than that, though, I think Bru will be ok with the THK as a diversifier. How do I need to store those suckers, can I open a few at a time?

Also, Bobby dog, what you said about my baby melts my heart! I really try to keep him in good health and good shape! This websote has been a godsend in that area! Need to do that for myself more, lol. πŸ™‚

#41163 Report Abuse

I got the email too and took advantage of it. Max goes through a 10lb box of HK every month because I feed it as 50% of his diet.

Naturella- the key to HK is too keep the bag sealed when you aren’t using it. The big box has a zipper like closure on the bag (like a Hefty zip bag). I’m not sure if the 2lb size will or not. If it doesn’t, then I would just put it in a ziploc bag to keep it dry and fresh. Leaving it out in room temperature like kibble is fine. You just don’t want moisture to get in it.

#41176 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

OK, so I bought one of each. And a Sojo’s premix. That tip about hiding the food in the freezer is good cuz now there’s more dog food in the pantry than people food. :p

#41177 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi neezerfan:
    BCn reminded us it is important to let the food rise to room temperature first before opening the bag to avoid any moisture build-up which could spoil the food. I have to say before she gave me this advice I did just open up a bag I grabbed from the freezer and serve it up. Thank goodness it didn’t spoil, now I know.

#41182 Report Abuse
    Naturella

RescueDaneMom, thanks for the info! I will make sure to toss it in a large freezer bag if it doesn’t come in a zippable container! πŸ™‚

#41211 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I got my order this afternoon! Bobby is chewing on his Castor & Pollux buffalo chew as I am writing this. He never chews on anything, he really is enjoying himself!! πŸ™‚

#41212 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Lucky! Mine won’t be here till Tuesday πŸ™

#41216 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

I got samples of honest kitchen, gave it to my 7mos old puppy yesterday snd she loved it, I was so glad because lately she isn’t really wanting any of her food. Just a few weeks ago she was eating everything and licking her bowl clean. Well today I ordered a box of honest kitchen for her & tonight I gave her another sample of honest kitchen and this time she wouldn’t eat it!

#41217 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I will whip some up in a few days; I am sure he will enjoy it, he’s a good eater if nothing else. lol He has a can of Weruva to finish up first.

Bobby finished his chew. I have to write Bobby only chews on his stuffed or squeaky toys, so he does chew on a few things. I am going to get some more for him since he loved it. πŸ™‚

I never ordered from them before so I would never had known about the HK sale. So thanks again for the info on the deal Akari!! πŸ™‚

#41223 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I ordered some chews also to reach the limit for the deal. I’m sure my dogs will love them. They love everything! They really can’t have very many toys because they destroy them and sometimes swallow parts of them. I have been using The Honest Kitchen recently in the evening as a topper because I had an $8’off coupon. It’s very convenient. I just put 1/4 cup on top of kibble and add about 3/4 cup water and stir!

#41225 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

You can mail them your coupon and they’ll credit your bank account for it as long as it’s for whatever your ordered πŸ™‚

#41338 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

To you guys who have it already, or have used it, how much water should I put in the food to make it more like oatmeal/porridge? He wouldn’t enjoy having to work too hard for his food (lapping it up) lol He’s going to be getting about 1/2 cup dry.

#41340 Report Abuse

For Embark and Love, try 1/2 cup of water first then add more until you get the consistency you want. Keen and Force soak up more water than Embark and Love in my opinion, so you might need to use 1 cup of water then add more if necessary.

#41343 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Akari:
    I just fed some Love this morning and Bobby got really excited when I let him have a taste before I mixed it with his kibble. At first he gently licked it and I looked away for a second, next thing you know he took a big gulp. lol My fault for letting him taste test.

I followed C4c’s mixing and kept it about a 1 to 3 ratio. It was a oatmealy consistency, I put the rest in the fridge. I just gave him his dinner and I added about 4T of warm H2O and mixed it to about the same consistency as this morning; down the hatch it went. I will need to mix some more tomorrow and I also need to re-check the feeding instructions to make sure I am not giving him too much food.

I’ll probably feed it as a topper for the next three days then switch to something else. I’ll store it as RescueDaneMom suggests in a ziplock baggy. Overall, big hit with Bobby and it was really fast and easy to prepare; I am a first time user of HK.

#41344 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Ok. I can always start with a little and then add more if it’s too thick, right? (I wouldn’t see why not, but you know).

#41345 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Thanks for the mixing tips RescueDaneMom! πŸ™‚

#41346 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Yes Akari, to get the consistency you want it will be easy by mixing it that way.

#41348 Report Abuse

Your welcome, Bobby dog. I’m glad he’s like it.

Exactly Akari, you can add water slowly and mix until you get the consistency you want. You can also make batches of it up instead of at every meal time. I make enough to last me two days. I put 4 cups in a container, add enough water until it’s still loose and the extra water soaks in as it sits in the fridge overnight. I find that the Keen works better that way as the oats soak up a lot of water. It’s just a preference of mine but I like letting it sit overnight so all the fruits and veggies have a chance to soak up enough water so they aren’t hard anymore. I feel it makes them easier to digest. Just my two cents.

Akari, let us know what your dogs think of it.

#41349 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

ResueDaneMom that’s a good tip. Making it in advance would give it a chance to completely soak up the H2O.

This mornings serving was a different consistency by the time I served it for dinner. All the ingredients had a chance to soak up the H2O so it was thicker, not as oatmealy (is that a word?). It was perfect though because I was able to warm dinner up with H2O. Bobby was happy with both the fresh mix and his dinner serving so it was fine either way for him. Just something to keep in mind.

#41352 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Oatmealy, it is now!!

#41353 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

OK, I ordered some HK, too! lol! Never tried it before but now’s the time, great price. You guys talked me into it!

#41354 Report Abuse

Good for you, jakes mom. It really is a great product. I’ve been feeding it for 6 years and my dog loves it. I have heard of dogs that just don’t care for it though. Hopefully yours isn’t one of those. πŸ˜‰

#41437 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

RescueDaneMom, I think Jake will like it, the only thing he’s ever refused is a piece of celery! Thanks everybody for the storage and mixing tips. I’ll let you all know how it goes!

#41438 Report Abuse
    Danni D

OMG- Akari. πŸ™‚
    It’s Danni from Fishlore. πŸ™‚ It’s nice to see you. Sorry to hijack your thread, just wanted to say Hi. LOL
    Thanks for the tip on the HK too. Are you still keeping fish as well as your pack?

#41460 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Somewhere around here Akari admitted to having a problem about shibunkins(The problem was that she can’t leave them in the store), so she must still have fish!!

#41462 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

She admitted to her problem when she was bragging about her coupon deals (yet again) on the coupon thread. lol

#41466 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hey! Yes, I do still have my babies πŸ™‚ And Patty is right, I have a horrible goldfish problem LOL

I’ve got 13 goldfish (I think….? I have a lot lol) between two ponds, 125 and 150 gallons, and one aquarium, 50 gallons. The 50 gallon also has some platies and swords, and swamp darters and a goldspot pleco. I also have a 29 gallon all planted up with a male GBR, 10 neon tetras, a couple guppies (the stock here sucks and they keep dying on me) and a breeding pair of albino Bristlenose plecos. The male is long finned, and I have a ton of babies too! πŸ™‚ Then I have two 6 gallons, one a QT (which is currently holding my new Goldie guy :p), and one split in half for two bettas. Normally I would feel bad about that, but one is really old and spends all his time in the gravel these days, and the other is lazy, so it works out alright lol

And actually, my uncle texted me today and asked if I wanted his Jack Dempsey because his gold snook was picking on it. So I’ll be putting the stock in the 29 in the 50, and setting up the 40 breeder for the JD, and I’ll move the sailfin over to the 40 breeder so she doesn’t bother my BNs. I’ve got some work to do tomorrow!

#41513 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hey Akari-
    I’m with you! I love goldfish also. I had a 50 pound tank a few years back with them. My favorite are the pearl scales. But, I also love shibunkins. They all ended up with some disease and I couldn’t save them. It was very sad. I just have a 20 gallon tank now with a beautiful angel, a few dwarf catfish and some black phantom tetras. But gold fish are still my favorite!

#41518 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Goldfish are just silly little puppies! I love them πŸ™‚ I’m getting pretty discouraged with them though because the stock is so terrible, and like you said, they’re all sick! I’ve lost one to swim bladder, another is right behind her, one that I rescued from PetCo with one eye is about to loose her other eye because she smacked it on something and it’s filled up with blood (she’s a telescope), and countless fish have just up and died for no reason, both right after bringing them home and even after having them for a year or more.

And then there’s gill flukes. God I hate gill flukes!!! Nasty little things are hard to kill and every goldfish you buy down here are infested in them. I’ve got a good strategy down for killing them though. ParaGuard the crap out of them for the first week the fish is in quarantine, and watch real close the second week. ParaGuard is a great full spectrum med for parasites, fungus and bacterial infections. I love it! Just wish it was more concentrated though lol

I must say, I really love my good old fashioned Neon tetras. They are so awesome! And I’m having surprisingly good luck with PetSmart stock. I used to buy Floirda raised neons up in Pensacola from a little shop called Water Wonders, and they were hands down the best looking and healthiest neons I’ve ever seen. They were breeding the day after I brought them home! But these PetSmart guys are doing pretty good! My school of 12 has only dropped down to 10, and some were old anyways (had a school of 6 and bought more).

Oh! I just realized! My HK should be here today!!!!!

#41564 Report Abuse
    Danni D

Didn’t the Goldfish thing start with a carnival rescue- a few years back?

My Petsmart is great for stock. I have gotten some beautiful Angels, Neon’s, Africans, and a Firemouths. I actually just got a new Firemouth for 3.50. πŸ™‚ Totally healthy, I have never lost a fish from Petsmart. Petco is another story. πŸ™
    I still have almost all my tanks. I had 9 but 3 were Betta’s. All my Betta’s died of old age and I haven’t replaced them. I have my 55 Angel tank with Kathy’s Angels still kickin’ and they are huge, along with a baby Firemouth, Pleco and a school of Black Neon’s.
    I have a 90 with 2 Parrots, 2 Angels, 1 Featherfin Squeaker, my overgrown adult Firemouth, 1 BN pleco, 1 Leopardi Cat something or other (not totally sure a friend gave it to me but the fish is cool), a school of Neon’s. They have been in there for years and no they haven’t gotten eaten. LOL
    I have a 165 African tank (assorted Africans and Peacocks- lots of them maybe 30-40) from Petsmart with 6 Blue Botia Loaches, a Pleco, and a Featherfin. I have babies that keep coming and coming. This tank is new since Fishlore and my whole drama there from sticking up for my friend.
    I have a 40 gallon with a breeding pair of Discus- and one of their babies that I kept from their first spawn that survived.
    20g QT for my err ummm Goldies. I have a pond outside that my hubby made me (new since Fishlore too). I have a Goldfish issue myself but like you- I have had some really sick ones unless they came from Petsmart. I really want Koi though.
    I have an 80g and a 28g cycling for saltwater reef tanks. Finally I took the saltwater plunge. πŸ™‚ I’m loving it other than it’s super expensive so everything is so slow.
    The last one is a heavily planted 10g Neon and Rasbora tank. I might throw a Betta in there and see what happens. Might be ok with a female.
    Then I have my Rottie, Hank and my new Pom puppy, Jake which is how I found DFA. My Pom has a sensitive tummy but I think we have it sorted out. I’m so glad to see you on here!! I envy your couponing- it’s awesome. My Rottie has been rotated since Day 1 so at least I can shop sales for him.

Thanks for the heads up on the HK- I just got it and got a few pounds of kibble for Hank for 34 bucks shipped!! Wow! I have never even heard of Petflow before but their prices are great!

#41572 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

OK guys, does anyone use Petflow regularly? I’m very disappointed in them, as a first timer. I ordered the HK and got an email that 2 of the 3 boxes I ordered are discontinued and they gave me a couple of suggested replacements… at $40 plus each! Uh, don’t think so. I only ordered them to try because of the great price. I would think they could come up with some kind of comparable replacement.

#41575 Report Abuse

I don’t use Petflow regularly. I prefer Chewy.com. That’s weird that they said that. I’m pretty sure they are not discontinued as you can buy the 2lb boxes in those 4 flavors directly from HK as a starter pack.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.