🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 1,192 total)
  • Author
    Jill h

Curious about Life’s Abundance. My son just got a golden retriever pup and they strongly recommend that food…

#74586 Report Abuse
    Mick S

Taste of the Wild. – Wetlands formula, Roasted Fowl flavor

#74590 Report Abuse

Hi Jill,

I am happy to speak with you regarding Life’s Abundance, as well as, send you samples. I have been with the company since 2001 as both a customer an independent distributor.

You may email me directly at [email protected]

Learn more online at http://www.TotalPetNutrition.com

or call me directly at 1-855-LUV-MY-PET or 1-470-253-8979.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Melissa OBryan

#74597 Report Abuse
    Alan K

Blue Wilderness

Blue Wilderness Adult Large Breed
    You give it 5 stars but don’t list in Editor’s choice

#74634 Report Abuse
    Linda P

I’d like to nominate Halo’s Spots Stew wholesome lamb or chicken dry food.

#74690 Report Abuse
    Debbie R

Pro Form Performance , made in VT by Poulin Grain… Very reasonable price for a 4.5 star rating that you have given it.

#74820 Report Abuse
    Harry E

What about Berkley and Jensen Duck and Vegetable? My lab is doing great on it.

#74874 Report Abuse
    Richard F

Weruva

#74889 Report Abuse
    marguerite c

I have a Golden Jada. Very much over weight and needs to drop some pounds. She is presently on Thyroid Meds and it has been recommended that I give her one meal a day of all protein. Any suggestions for a high protein dog. She has one meal of Blue Buffalo Senior . I have just introduced this. She is 5yrs old and I have just adopted her. Can you give me any suggestions.

#75047 Report Abuse
    Shirley

How about Nutrisource? Great food and company, budget friendly!

#75048 Report Abuse
    Kiana S

I think that Nutrisource is a very healthy dog food. I know the editors choice is Caster and pollox but if you see it contains rosemary extract that can trigger seizures in some dogs. This herb, in my opinion, should not be in dog food. Please check out toxic herbs for pets on the internet. I feel that dog and cat foods have not been tested thoroughly enough so you risk feeding some pets a toxic ingredient which they can react too

#75181 Report Abuse
    Donna B

I’m new to this website. Did I just waste my money? I feed my dog Blue Buffalo dog food.

#75182 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Are you asking if you wasted money on the Blue Buffalo or on your Editor’s Choice membership? If it’s the former, yes; the latter, no. IMO.

#75183 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I agree with DogFoodie. Do a google search on Blue; they’ve had their share of issues as of late.

#75184 Report Abuse
    Dori

I agree with DogFoodie and Marie. As Marie suggested, google Blue Buffalo for a list of complaints of which there are many.

#75190 Report Abuse
    Alan K

The only complaints I see are about their marketing, Nothing about the quality of the food. In fact, Dogfood Advisor gives the Wilderness type 5 stars!

#75191 Report Abuse
    Kiana S

Donna B.
    I do not think you have wasted your money. Blue is not a bad dog food at all. Maybe a little over rated by the company but your dog will do fine on this food.
    Kiana

#75193 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I wonder if Donna is upset because Blue isn’t on the Edotors Choice list of foods?

#75204 Report Abuse
    Donna B

As InkedMarie said, I am upset that Blue wasn’t on the list. Blue is on the list of Andrew Lewis’s top 9 best dog foods in North America.

#75209 Report Abuse
    Carolyn G

Please check Nutri Life Pet Food. Thanks!

#75212 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Donna,
    Did you do what I suggested and google for Blue’s recent problems?

#75231 Report Abuse
    Alan K

Yes, no recalls or problems since an issue with excess Vit D in 2010. Supposedly due to a bad supplier. Cite your sources please.

#75234 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Alan K-
    Here is one of many articles about the latest lawsuit against Blue Buffalo: http://www.petfoodindustry.com/articles/5166-blue-buffalo-admits-to-byproduct-meal-purina-responds
    This one is also supposedly due to a bad supplier.

#75237 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Alan- Unfortuntely everyone here is correct. Blue has not recalled their food as technically nothing is “wrong” with it, however they were duped by a supplier who was adding by-products to their food. I work in the pet food retail industry at a small pet boutique and have worked at Petco and have noticed that many people like yourself have not been aware of this issue that has been in the media.

Wellness is also effected by this issue that Blue had because they use the same supplier, however it is not in the media.

#75241 Report Abuse
    Deirdre D

Well, Purina pushed this issue into the spotlight by suing Blue for false advertising. I found Blue’s response a little disingenuous. As Purina (of which I am certainly no fan) pointed out, there was no way they could not be using by-products at that price point. Blue should have known that their supplier could only be offering the low prices by some sort of quality compromise. I feel their integrity has been rightly called into question. Additionally, most of their products derive most of their protein content from plants. If we are looking solely at nutrition, all other considerations, including cost, set aside, this is not optimal. They could perhaps, if they are not already, be fairly put on the “decent foods for reasonably low cost” list. However, since the analysis of foods for this website is dependent upon the accuracy of the ingredients labeling, I would steer clear of Blue’s products if I fed kibble, which (full disclosure) I have not since 1996. I do keep track of the pet food industry, though; I just have no horse in the kibble race.

#75243 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Wellness and Blue can’t really be equated though. Wellness is very transparent on who is their suppliers, who manufactures their food, etc… whereas Blue doesn’t like to disclose that information. Wellness I would equate as a good guy. If you’re feeding PetCo/PetSmart food, it’s one of the few I’d recommend

#75246 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Wellness and Blue use the same supplier that put the by-products in Blue’s food to cut cost. As far as I know they did the same with Wellness to cut cost. Both have dropped this supplier.

#75251 Report Abuse
    dawn m

are you saying PetCo/Pet Smarts own brands that you would recommend? or Wellness? I bought Merrick there but I prefer THK. I also have been pleased with Fromm surf & turf – I am disappointed that it’s almost impossible to find organic dog food. In my opinion human grade should mean non-GMO, organic.

#75252 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I’m saying Wellness is a brand at the box stores I would recommend. There are a couple others as well, but if you are shopping at smaller stores/online, you will always find great alternatives

#75268 Report Abuse
    Sharon J

I would like to nominate “Just Food for Dogs” a freshly made dog food here in Southern Calif. I buy it frozen at their local store near me. I just received an info update that states they are now able to ship their food anywhere in the USA. Their website is:
    justfoodfordogs.com. They also can make specialty dog food for dogs with health problems.
    They are worth checking out. 🙂
    For the love of dogs,
    Sharon Jones

#75273 Report Abuse
    Dori

I just wish their shipping wasn’t so expensive or I would have ordered their food ages ago.

#75291 Report Abuse
    Nancy B

Rescue dogs did well on THK, but so expensive and then price went up. Look at Champion Foods Acana and Orijen, both 5 stars. Nice video. Shows where ingredients come from. I add Tbsp Wysong canned to the kibble. 12- and 13-year-old dogs have no health problems so no vet bills. I order from Chewy online.

#75588 Report Abuse
    Lorna A

I’ve been feeding my Pomeranian (9 1/2 lbs) Evanger’s Chicken and Rice wet food. I also add some baked or roasted chicken breast to the mix. I was wondering what you think of this food.

#75596 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Lorna,
    Evangers as a company is “sketchy”. You can google for info but they got caught not paying overtime to employees & for stealing electricity and regarding dog food, they had problems with the food that was supposed to be in the can wasn’t.

#75676 Report Abuse
    Lorna A

I received an offer from TruDog for their dog food. What do you think of them?

#75684 Report Abuse
    Tom B

What do you know about True Chews Premium Jerky Treats?
    Thanks

#75690 Report Abuse
    Betty R

Royal Canin Adult dry food

#75691 Report Abuse
    April B

I would nominate HONEST KITCHEN dog and cat foods!!! I feed my baby the EMBARK SELECTION from HK.
    They have helped both of my dogs, with so many issues that was mainly caused by JUNK DOG FOOD! Thinking that the Big Name Brands were good, and also the prescription vet foods, Not! One of the worst was Royal Canin, it caused an awful yeast infection in my dog’s body!!!

#75711 Report Abuse
    Nancy B

I agree that THK is excellent food. It’s what brought my 2 old rescues to good health. When the price when up, I had to look elsewhere. Champion Foods Orijen and Acana filled the spot. Same wonderful food, less expensive maybe because it’s from Canada? If you want to rotate food, look at video and try Champion. No vet bills for 12- and 13-yr-olds.

#75719 Report Abuse
    Dick R

Where does “Blue Buffalo” stand in the ratings

#75840 Report Abuse
    Bonita B

I always have read that Blue Buffalo was considered top of the line dog food. Would like
    to know how you rate it. I was feeding my dogs Caster and Pollux but it stopped being
    sold here. I don’t know why as it was an excellent dog food. I now give them Blue Buffalo
    and they seem happy. How do you rate this brand?

#75843 Report Abuse
    Nancy B

You might want to go online and read the problems with Blue Buffalo. That’s why no ratings.

I order Castor & Pollux from Chewy online. If you buy enough, it’s free shipping. I also feed and order from them my kibble, Champion Foods Orijen, 5 stars, .

#75844 Report Abuse
    Alan K

There are those who use BB and like it. My two Shepherds thrive on it. Then there are those who bash it. Mostly because of their adverting campaign. BB Wilderness is rated 5 stars here on DA. Life Protection (which I feed) gets 4.

#75847 Report Abuse
    Deirdre D

Last time I looked an array of blue buffalo was rated on the site. Why do people keep asking how such and such a brand is rated instead of looking it up first? Blue buffalo has ratings that are all over the place, which is likely why, as a brand, it is not on the editors choice list. I think it lacks consistency, and isn’t on top of its manufacturing process – blaming its suppliers for by-products in its food, for example, and its jobbed-out processing plants for too much vitamin d.

#75848 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I doubt there’ll ever be a day when Blue Buffalo appears on the Editor’s Choice list. Those four and five star ratings on the review side are based solely on ingredients. Editor’s Choice takes much more into consideration and Blue Buffalo is lacking in both quality control and transparency, which are two important factors in determining brands that meet the EC criteria.

Edit: We were typing at the same time, Deirdre. I second your post in its entirety! 🙂

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by DogFoodie.
    #75867 Report Abuse
    sharon w

I highly recommend Dogs for the Earth in Longboat Key Florida..
    My dog who is very picky about her food loves it.
    No chemicals, all natural and organic.
    Would love to know what you think.
    Sharon

#75943 Report Abuse
    John L

Meunster Milling makes an assortment of ‘Chine Free’ feeds and they now have a grain free. How about a recommendation?

#75944 Report Abuse
    John L
    #75952 Report Abuse
    Brandon R

Would love to see Farmina A&D get more attention and hopefully grow distribution in the US. Currently buy from Amazon. Italian company using trusted sources for all ingredients. Uses whole meat and dehydrated meat…no meals at all. 70% animal protein, 30% veggies. No GMO. Incredibly transparent about product and processes. Compliant with EU standards -far more stringent than US standards. Please consider.

#76040 Report Abuse
    Michael A

I agree with Bradon R. I have just recently switched to Farmina N&D Grain Free and I am happy with the results. No pea, soy, or tomato is a huge bonus as one of my pack is very food sensitive. Took me a substantial amount of time finding a brand without pea, soy and tomato. It seems like the trend with grain-free = Pea for the majority of brands. I’m hoping Farmina will continue to grow and become more readily available. I’ve been using Petflow for years and was extremely happy when they added Farmina to the products they carry.

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 1,192 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.