The Right Stuff

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health The Right Stuff

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    J.C.

I’ve been a k9kid Mom most of my life.
    At the present time, I have four.
    A rottweiler chow mix who will be 16 in October, a Toy Fox Terrier who will be 16 in September, a border collie blue heeler boxer mix who will be 15 in November, and my newest edition to the rescued family is a border collie Boston terrier mix who will be 8 in January. The Toy Fox Terrier I have had since she was 2 weeks old. She has never had a vaccination in her life. She has never eaten anything but Rachael Ray Nutrish, Just six, Zero, and now Peak. That’s what all my kids are on. None of them get shots. I have a veterinarian that I take them to once a year for a health check up and he agrees with me but he is bound by his license to give shots to other dogs but I elect not to. People can’t believe that my kids are the ages that they are. They are all still very active, very healthy, and have all their teeth. The secret? No shots, nothing but Rachael Ray food, and no people food. I also believe that a dog that is leashed has a shorter life span. That’s my opinion. But I’m doing something right with four of them.

#139121 Report Abuse
    joanne l

That is great! My vet only gives the rabies shot, maybe I should stop that as well. My other GSD lived to 13 years old he only got the rabies shot. I feed him Nutro all his life. Nutro I think was better back then. Thanks for the info. Always a pleasure to hear peoples opinions.

#139132 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Do you even see how ridiculous this advice is? All your dog has to do is bite someone and your dog will be quarantined and likely be put down. Is that worth the risk. Especially if you have an aggressive breed.
    There is no cure for rabies. Everyone affected (bitten) will have to endure a series of painful rabies shots unless you can provide proof of rabies vaccine.

Animal Control will not tolerate unlicensed, unvaccinated dogs unless you can provide a medical waiver for the rabies vaccine signed by your vet, this is very difficult to obtain but possible if your dog is very sick (cancer), an immune disorder or a neurological disorder (seizures.

Be careful when listening to propaganda from the homeopathic crowd.
    Hope these articles help http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=rabies

PS: Most towns and cities have leash laws in place for pets and you can be fined for noncompliance.

#139133 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I meant to say dangerous not ridiculous.

https://www.certapet.com/rabies-vaccine/ excerpt below

It’s the Law!
    The majority of vaccinations are not mandatory by law. The rabies vaccine, however, is necessary to keep a pet in the home.
    Shelters do not send animals home without a rabies shot, nor do animal rescue organizations. Animals purchased from a breeder may be taken home before they reach the proper age for rabies vaccination, however, leaving this responsibility to the new owners.
    Law enforcement has little to do with unvaccinated pets unless there is an incident. If a pet bites another animal, the victim’s owner may require a check to be made. At this point, many negative actions may be taken.
    An unvaccinated dog may be quarantined and charges may be filed against the owner. Visits to state parks, boarding facilities, and daycares all require proof of the rabies vaccine prior to entry. Regular vaccination helps to protect pets and owners from negative consequences.

#139137 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Anon your right I was not thinking. It is the law for rabies shot. My dog had his shot and I will continue. That is dangerous!!!
    And dogs should be on a leash while walking, b/c anything can happen.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by joanne l.
    #139265 Report Abuse
    hamish
    Participant

Your dogs are living so long because the only pure bred you have is a very small breed which live the longest out of all dogs. Your other dogs are mutts and two of them are medium to medium small border collie mutts. A Border Collies’ average life expectancy can go to 17 years. That’s before you get to the fact that they’re mutts and have the least worry about genetic problems. You’re making up a reason when the reason is clear as day right in front of you, all the while being an irresponsible pet owner.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by hamish.
    #139299 Report Abuse
    HoundMusic
    Participant

<i>She has never eaten anything but Rachael Ray Nutrish, Just six, Zero, and now Peak. That’s what all my kids are on. None of them get shots.</i>

I feed my dogs a steady diet of Alpo (dry) with the occasional soupcon of Kibbles N Bits to break up the monotony. Most of the dogs I have at this point have eaten nothing but Purina (Dog Chow, ONE, Alpo), Le Bits, Science Diet or Iams/Euk. Most of them are getting to be older than the hills. My Vet recently examined one of my bitches before a routine spay. Went out of his way to compliment me on what good condition she was in, didn’t need bloodwork before surgery because of her obvious excellent health, etc. Left it off by saying he hadn’t seen a five year old dog in such condition for a very long time. Some genius must have mixed up a file, because the dog was actually over ten years old. Vet had a stroke without flinching.

I also vaccinate, because I’ve seen how fast viruses can spread and take down a dog in agonizing pain.

#139300 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Quote “Went out of his way to compliment me on what good condition she was in, didn’t need bloodwork before surgery because of her obvious excellent health, etc”

Sounds good. However, as my vet said “We can’t tell by looking.” Lab work/blood tests are the best diagnostic tools that veterinarians have.

Skip labs if you want, but know that you are taking a risk, you may find something in the early stages that will respond to treatment, if you wait, well you know…

#139306 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hmmm? Anon, I thought you were against meaningless asymptomatic screenings. 🤔

#139307 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I have absolutely no clue as to what you are talking about.
    Btw, you are off topic.

Is this a personal attack?

#139312 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Oh, you must be referring to this post.
    /forums/topic/grain-free-diets-and-heart-disease/page/3/#post-128603

Annual routine labs are often recommended. If you can afford it.

Taurine levels, echo’s, cardiac workups are not routine and usually not recommended unless other anomilies are found during a routine exam and lab work or if the veterinarian has specific concerns.

#139414 Report Abuse
    anonymous

And these two:

/forums/topic/should-i-be-feeding-large-breed-food-or-regular/#post-136247
    /forums/topic/should-i-be-feeding-large-breed-food-or-regular/#post-136175

Just opinions like the rest of the comments.

#139424 Report Abuse
    anonymous
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.