🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Roger D

Hi, My rescue dog tries to chase passing cars, when I walk her on the street. She was doing great until today. She’ll jump and bark at cars going by. Anyone have advise on this problem? Thanks, RD

#106352 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Keep him on a short leash, when you see the car/bike/truck approaching make him sit, kneel down with him, make eye contact and say No in a firm voice. Don’yell at him. pat him, try to comfort him.
    When he stays calm (after about a hundred times). Praise him profusely. Maybe give him a treat.
    He should do it less and less, but if he is startled, all bets are off.

Some dogs do this, other than working with a trainer. Don’t know what to tell you.
    Keep him on a leash at all times.
    I hope it’s not a deal breaker. :-/

#106353 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Hope this helps.
    https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/car-chasing-break-dogs-habit

I think of it as a form of fear aggression. If your vet thinks it is anxiety related, there are medications that may help, at least while you are trying to train him and he gets adjusted to a new home.

#106393 Report Abuse
    Roger D

Thanks, I’ll try these things. RD

#106396 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Good 🙂 Give him some time, he probably thinks he is protecting you from those big evil cars. He may always be a car chaser, but it should decrease with some time, patience and training.
    Let me guess, he is a terrier or a herding breed? How old is he, I ask because the younger he is the more receptive he may be to desensitization and training.

#106442 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Make sure you get her a harness/halter that fits snugly, otherwise if you have the leash attached to a collar, she could hurt her neck when she decides to chase.

Get a quality leash too, lobster style clasp is best, the regular standard type clasp can malfunction if you have a rambunctious dog. I think I paid $10 for a Lupine Pet one that has been working out well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.