Help! Newfoundland,170lbs,10yrs old,need food suggestion please

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Help! Newfoundland,170lbs,10yrs old,need food suggestion please

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    David P

Help! I have a Newfoundland, 170 pounds, 10 years old. Need food suggestion please 🙂

Over the past few months he whimpers a bit while getting up after he’s been lying down for a few hours.
    I’ve been on this website for several hours and I’m having a difficult time navigating and searching for an ideal food for him. Fyi – no allergies.
    His name is Dewey. I love him with all my heart. I know and I knew when we brought him into our family that his breed does not have a very long life longevity. I want to feed him the best food I can afford and to make his last few years as comfortable and happy as possible for him. I don’t know why am having so much difficulty filtering through the reviews of the dry dog foods to find a 4.5 or 5.0 dry food for him, but I haven’t been able to do so. I’d greatly appreciate any help 🙂 😓

#93725 Report Abuse
    Christi B

David I’ve been where you are several times and watching a beloved pet fail is so very hard. I joined this page but found in my research they do get paid commissions from Chewy.com when pet owners purchase from links here (that said there is still good info here and I like the forums). I spent the best $10 ever to find a better food from my dogs at this page: http://truthaboutpetfood.com/the-2017-list/
    I went on every single page of the 19 foods and did hours of research. For mobility my dogs have greatly benefitted from laser and acupuncture it sounds like there is pain going on. Sending prayers!

#93726 Report Abuse
    David P

Christi, I was hoping for a reply! And you came through for me 🙂 thank you. I will follow that link and learn what I can. Thank you so much for your concern, very kind of you!!

#93727 Report Abuse
    Paula G

We are using Dr Tim’s Grain Free Kenises and love it

#93728 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hi David,
    First, what joint supplements are you giving your dog? Second, you’d do well to eliminate grains and white potato. They can be inflammatory.

#93729 Report Abuse
    David P

I read a lot of great things about Dr Tim’s! I’ll try it. Thank you 🙂

I don’t give Dewey any supplements. I’ve asked my vet and she said to be cautious? Regretfully, I did not pursue the issue. I ‘believe’ I should be giving him a supplement for his hips & joints. Glucosamine? Is that what you would suggest? Would you advise I take note of how much of that is in the dog food (if any) when determining how much of a supplement to give him? Guess what I’m asking is, if that supplement is in his food, how do I determine how much more to give him? Sorry to sound so foolish.

#93730 Report Abuse
    David P

My wife was told by a friend that works in a vets office that it is OK to give Dewey 500 mg of Tylenol per day. What does everyone think of that?

#93732 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Start the below routine right away for Dewey. And of course, run all blood and fecal tests. I spent thousands of dollars and 4 years of trial and error research to figure out a non-raw diet that actually works. Still learning new things every month.

ZiwiPeak air dried formulas in beef, lamb or venison. Their canned wet food is equally top rated. Reverses ailments, proven. Dasaquin with MSM for large dogs daily. Prescription Previcox before bedtime. You’ll see a difference within days.

#93733 Report Abuse
    David P

Wow. This is my first day being part of this website and forum. I am extraordinarily happy and feel fortunate to have come across this site. Everyone has been so kind and helpful. I welcome all the advice and I appreciate it immensely. Thank you! I wish there were something I could do for all of you that have taken the time to help me, help Dewey!

#93734 Report Abuse
    Blkdoodle

Caster Pollux, Natural Ultramix Grain Free Red Meat Recipe with Raw Bites has Glucosamine and Chondroitin, which helps with arthritis. That might be an option. PetSmart carries a limited supply but I also know Natural Foods carries it. It is a 5 star and since I have switched to it, our Golden Doodle loves it and has no trouble eating it dry without a topping of canned food.
    It is pricy but I think well worth it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Blkdoodle.
    #93736 Report Abuse
    David P

That ZiwiPeak is incredible too. Very expensive. What’s your thought about mixing some of the Ziwi along with my current food (Eagle – large breed)? I am planning to slowly change his ‘primary’ food to Dr Tim’s or one other I’m considering.

#93737 Report Abuse
    elaine c

Hi Dave, as a trainer with years of experience and having talked to many dog nutrionalist, personally I wouldn’t recommend anything else but Answers Pet food. You can find it in review at dogfoodadvisor.com… so you can understand this exceptional raw food. Personally, I wouldn’t feed any kibble to any dog… too processed all the goodness is cooked out of it.. and the synthetic vitamins and minarels they have to add back in have proven, long term, to be more harm than good. I PROMISE you, once you start this food you will be telling people about it like I do… I have two Pits and it changed their lives… as any good raw food would… But this one is fermented… there is the difference!!!

#93738 Report Abuse
    elaine c

Callie K did you know that canned food is raw food cooked in the can and all that metal is NOT good for your dog.

#93740 Report Abuse
    Paula G

You can message Dr Tim from his website and he will reply. I know many people use Cosequine and Dasuquin and see great results

#93742 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I wouldn’t bother with joint supplements in food, By the time it’s cooked, the supplement is gone. I use In Clover Connectin for my senior dog. I’ve also used K9 Glucosamine but better results with the Connectin. Green Lipped mussel is also recommended.

Dr Tim’s is a great food. If you are on FB, he will answer questions on his FB page.

#93745 Report Abuse
    Blkdoodle

Elaine c that is one reason I would like to not give her canned food.

#93812 Report Abuse
    elaine c

If you give real uncooked foods, folks you will not need supplements… check out answerspetfood.com….

#93950 Report Abuse
    Susan W

Hi David!
    I have two suggestions for you. First, contact Krystle at VeRUS Pet Foods (there’s a contact form), tell her what’s going on. She will help you out. She has a wealth of knowledge and she’ll send you free samples. I have a 12 year old Golden who has been eating VeRUS for well over a year. She has energy and enthusiasm, so I know she’s getting great nutrition.
    Second, if Dewey is trying to get up & around on hardwood, tile, linoleum – anything but carpet, try putting PAWZ on his feet. You can get them at Petco. My mom’s dog groomer used these with her aging dog and it helped with stability.

#95775 Report Abuse
    Deborah H

Hi David – just joined the forum, I have a 6yr4mo Bernese Mt Dog, neutered at 5, s/p last breeding, big weight gain & I’m researching best foods for weight loss – Nike’s been doing the same favoring of his rear R leg, whimpering at times getting up – vet put him on food I really would never in my life use, so am spending hours researching; my breeder fiends have told me brands not listed on dog food advisor; I used Acana Canada based, (Orijen bison as pup)- Nike’s lost 5lbs in 3 weeks, walks & play with his 18 month daughter help too. Still am searching for lower calorie, good protein & lower fat balanced GF dry dog food I feel good about; I also use ground shark cartilage – may sound crazy, but It worked with my 30 yrs of raising golden retrievers when they got older.

#95801 Report Abuse
    elaine c

I wonder if the cartilage would work for my knees!! Let me know .

I would recommend Answers Pet food. It is raw. easy to feed and really the fantastic. All the kibbles you are feeding are bound to not be great because they are PROCESSED and limited. This is very low in carbs. It is fermented and truly wonderful. As far as I am concerned all dogs should be on a diet like this. You can feed just the meat which is complete and that will keep the calories down ( depending on how much you give him) and it will be so good for him. Contact the company and ask they about the Fermented fish stock they sell this may help his joints a lot. I know the owner drinks it herself because she had a broken back at one point. Good luck and keep me informed!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.