🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    weimlove
    Participant

Hi folks,
    I currently have my two year old weimaraner on Trifexis for fleas, heartworm, and other parasites. After doing some research, I am realizing that this medicine could be doing more harm that good. I am also about to switch to a raw diet. I have heard that many people who feed raw dont use any preventatives. Since I live in FL, there are always mosquitos so I plan on atleast using heart guard. Do any of you have an opinion on flea treatment? Do you think I need to continue treating for fleas? If so, do you know of any natural alternatives? Thanks!

#11297 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi again!

I use Sentry Natural Defense topical monthly and give Earth Animal No More Ticks tincture orally 6 days per week during flea season. I’ve had no issues with fleas or ticks. I think you’ll find that once your dog has been eating raw for awhile, he will be more resistant to parasites such as fleas.

Here’s the links to the products I use:

http://www.earthanimal.com/flea-tick-program/earth-animal-no-more-tick-drops.html

http://www.sentrynatural.com/products.html

#11298 Report Abuse
    weimlove
    Participant

HDM-
    I am so impressed with all of your knowledge! Thanks for always helping! I have been given trifexis, but the last time I gave it to shadow, he threw up 🙁 I have been trying to find natural products. I looked at the ones you listed above, and they seem like a great alternative to conventional preventatives. I have also found another natural flea-prevention: http://leerburg.com/82.htm if you would like to take a look at it and tell me what you think, that would be great! I think I will definintly try the sentry for sure!

#11299 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Heartguard has lost some of it’s effectiveness in Florida. There are some heartworm positive dogs every year that have been on Heartguard at the proper dose. My vet will no longer prescribe it.

#11300 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi weimlove –

I’m a fan of flea free, I used it two summers ago. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it, I believe some other posters here have said they use it as well. This past year is the first year I’ve gone chemical free for fleas and ticks, the year before I had my dogs on Trifexis as well. My male never had a problem with the Trifexis but on two different occasions my female puked and I had to redose her. Knowing what I know now I regret giving them something with so many chemicals! It covers fleas, heartworm and it’s a broad-spectrum dewormer in one – kinda explains the puking, all those medications in one pill must be stressful to the system.

#11303 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi guys, PattyVaughn was wanting to get a message to Weimlove. Patty is having trouble posting in the forum so I’m hoping this message reaches you on her behalf.

Pattyvaughn
    My posts are disappearing on the forum right now and there is a poster there, Weimlove, that lives in Florida that is asking questions involving heartworm prevention and flea prevention that I would love if someone would relay info to. She is planning on going with Heartguard and there are a few dogs every year that turn up heartworm positive at the proper dose in Florida. Heartguard is losing its effectiveness, so she should discuss that with her vet too.

#11339 Report Abuse
    weimlove
    Participant

Patty & Betsy-
    That is good to know, thanks for sharing! I will definintly discuss other alternative options with my vet. It can be difficult to find a low dose medicine that only prevents heartworm.

#11346 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I use the Flea Free during the warm months and also use Halo Herbal Dip with some added neem oil, Mercola flea/tick spray, and Only Natural Pet Herbal Defense Oil. I alternate. I like the different smells. Last summer was the first one without chemicals and I did not have any problems in Dallas/Fort Worth Texas. I also used garlic spray alternating with a neem oil spray on the yard every couple weeks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.