šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dsrogers
    Participant

I have a 1 year old Bernese mountain dog. She has suffered from both a leg fracture and was in a cast then suffered from torn Acl and is 6 weeks post TPLO surgery. The fracture and tear have caused her to have muscle loss and hip problems to her one side. tShe needs a diet to support joint health. Currently she is on Go renew and shine with glucosamine supplements along with some dehydrated beef and vegetables. I notice that she has a red snout, reddened eyes and one reddened paw after eating so thinking probable allergy. Vet suggested royal canine mobility or hills j/d but I don’t see them rated highly here. She weights 80 lbs and should maintain this weight to alleviate further joint problems. Suggestions?

#24348 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

My best suggestion is to buy a good joint supplement instead of trying to find a food with it in it. The joint supplements in food are never at a therapeutic dose at an amount anyone would feed a real dog. To get a therapeutic dose you usually would have to feed double or triple the recommended amount, then your dog would be terribly obese and have all the joint issues that go with that, and need an ever increasing amount.

#24350 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I would make sure the formula you’re feeding is grain-free as grains are inflammatory. GO has three sensitivity and shine formulas – two are grain-inclusive (salmon, duck) and one is grain-free (turkey), I’m not sure which you’re feeding. If you suspect a food intolerance I’d suggest looking for a grain-free food with a single novel protein source. For her joints, I’d look into a joint maintenance supplement that contains at least two or three of the following: glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, hylaluronic acid, eggshell membrane, green lipped mussel, sea cucumber, velvet antler, shark cartilage or esterified fatty acids. I’d also recommend giving a natural anti-inflammatory such as turmeric/curcumin, omega 3’s, boswellia, yucca, bromelain or tart cherry. Human joint supplements are generally cheaper per dose and higher quality so I’d go with those over a pet specific joint supplement – I’d give an 80 lb. dog 1 1/2 times the recommended human dose for a week or two for loading then drop it to 3/4 of the human dose for maintenance as long as you’re still seeing results. It sometimes can take a bit of trial and error to find out which supplements your dog responds best to. Good luck.

#24381 Report Abuse
    Spiritpaws

I realize I am new here, and appreciate all the information on this site from so many knowledgable dog owners, but I would caution the use of MSM because, while it is labeled a “natural” element, it is actually made from petroleum waste and methane gas. The actions of MSM are from the sulfur component. You can get sulfur from kale, or garlic (personally I prefer kale).
    The body makes its own glucosamine sulfate: from the amino acid glutamine, a sulfur molecule, and a sugar molecule. You can feed the body foods high in glutamine: cabbage, for instance, beef, dairy, chicken.
    There are also the stabilizers used in supplemental glucosamine sulfate: either sodium or potassium chloride. These additives can be 30% of the weight of the glucosamine. If the label says 4,000 mgs you will need to subtract 30% to know the actual milligrams of glucosamine sulfate you are getting. There currently are no labeling laws requiring the elemental amount of glucosamine sulfate per serving.

#24388 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Grains & potato can be inflammatory. Go to the dog food ingredients sub forum here; there is a stickie with grain/potato free foods. I’d switch to one of these, in your case I’d go chicken free as well. I’d add salmon oil, a good joint supplement & green lipped mussel.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.