🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,489 total)
  • Author
    theBCnut

I would have just let him keep playing with the wing in hopes that he would eventually eat a bit of it and then would accept some raw. And for the fountain, be careful that your behavior isn’t convincing him that it is a bad thing. Just turn it off part of the time so if it is the noise or moving water that’s bothering him, he can get used to the idea that it has good water in it without any other consideration. Try having it on for only half the day at first.

#38752 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I tore a piece off and he ate it. Didn’t seem too please about it, though. I would have let him keep playing with it, but he kept dragging it in my room, which has carpet. I also didn’t want him to get it up on my bed.

I just took the whole thing apart and washed it, so I took one of his metal bowls, added two cubes and some water, and locked him in the room with it. He took a lick, and flipped out, and got a disgusted look on his face. I’m not sure if it was just too hot (I melted the cubes with hot water, making it kind of warm), or if he doesn’t like it at all. I did drop some food in the middle of the bowl, and anything that is above the water line, he will eat it, but he will not go in after it. I may have to just go for fish water…. He did eat the treat off the fountain last night, though, so thats a good thing! I’m gunna keep trying to bribe him with food and treats before going for fish water.

On that note, is there something I can add to his food to make him actually want to drink water? Like, I know lots of salt makes you thirsty. But I’m pretty sure dumping salt into pet food isn’t the best idea lol

Do you guys think I should take him to the vet? Like I said, he pees often, unlike when he was treated the first time, but its in small amounts, like 2.5-3 inches balls. I’m wondering if its just from his new grazing tendencies and my adding more and more water to his food when I put it down, and when he leaves a half empty bowl. I can’t ever breath worth a crap, but mom says his pee does smell bad like it did when he had a UTI last time, so I dunno….

#38757 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Thanks, BC nut, I will check out the meat next time I go to the store. Do I need to freeze it before feeding it? Assuming we’re killing bacteria or parasites by freezing?

Akari, I know you don’t want to spend the money if you don’t have to but I’d probably run the cat back to the vet, especially if your Mom says the pee smells bad. Or could you get a sample and bring it to the vet?
    And give him more time with the new water bowl, my guys wouldn’t go near their fountain for a day and a half or so. I left it just sitting there, off, so they could check it out, then filled it. When they were comfortable drinking from it, then I plugged it in. He’s had an awful lot of changes lately, maybe he just needs more time. Who knows why he doesn’t like it, is it a plastic one? Maybe it smells a little funny to him? Or the motor’s making him a little nervous. Hang in there!

#38758 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Akari:
    I totally understand that you don’t have the best area to feed raw, me neither, but it sounds like Kitty may like raw to me. If you tore off a piece and he ate it, I would say he probably likes it or is at least curious. My cats do not even entertain the idea of eating something they don’t like. lol I would keep giving it a try, tearing the meat off of the bone might be more appealing to him, maybe even try a different meat. Try feeding a little peice of raw maybe once a week to start with and see how it goes. You can always freeze some portions so it doesn’t go to waste. I will be trying some raw for my kitties soon!

I have never used a cat fountain, but I would take the suggestions of Jake’s mom and Bcn and keep introducing him to it by leaving it off most of the time and turning it on little by little. Peaking his interest and getting him used to the fountain could just be a matter of more time and patience. I wouldn’t give up on it, give him time to get used to it.

I don’t know of any type of water additive.

Earlier in this thread you wrote you made his food almost soupy in consistency by adding water. Do you still do that? You can also try mixing the meat water into his wet food. That extra flavor might appeal to him. Did you make bone broth or did you boil the meat? Just wondering what you ended up making.

If he is not drinking enough water I would suggest doing anything to get fluids into him consistently (nothing harmful of course), so if it has to be fish flavored water then let it be fish flavored water! Look over the suggestions from catinfo for getting kitties hydrated. There’s also clam juice and Catsip too.

If you feel his urination habits have changed or seem abnormal I would not hesitate to take him to the Vet. You can’t fool around with UTI’s. I will add that the size of the litter balls you described are on average what I remove from my litter box; sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller. But what is normal for my cats might not be Kitty’s normal litter box habits.

#38759 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I don’t know Akari, I think Jakes mom might give you a run for your money in the coupon department!!!! 😉

#38760 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I don’t think he liked the taste of the raw chicken. He doesn’t really like those Temptation treats, but I can still get him to eat them when he’s hungry, and he was hungry when I tried the chicken wing with him. He took the bit off my finger, and got this “what is this stuff??” kinda grossed out look on his face LOL I don’t think he likes the chicken broth either.

I don’t think its the bowl or even the pump that bothers him, I think its just the fact that its water that puts him off. He was very interested and checking it out when I plugged it back in tonight, and watched intently as the pump started working and poured water. As soon as the water started flowing, he stalked off. Not without turning around a few steps later to see if it was still spewing out water and if it was coming after him lol

I am still adding water to his food, yes. What makes me think that he doesn’t like the chicken water is that I made his food just like I normally do, only I added a cube of broth instead of some of the water. Mixed it all up like normal once the cube was melted, and he snubbed it. There is a tiny bit more liquid than usual, but its not *that* bad! Most of the food is submersed, and like last time, he won’t touch it if its under the broth. We’ll see how it go through out the night. He still has a little more than half a can to eat tonight, so I dunno what I’ll do about that if he doesn’t eat whats out.

I don’t know whats normal for him! When we got him, he was peeing in about the same amount, but less often, and there was blood in it. After his treatment, was peeing A LOT. Like 4 or 5 balls, larger than my fist, a day. Then I changed his litter the other day, and he’s back to small pee’s, but there are a good amount of them. Like I said before, I can’t tell you if theres blood in there or not because this crap is brown. The whole laundry room smells like cat pee since changing to this walnut stuff. Lots of people complain about that. So I can’t say if its the litter not doing its job in deodorizing that makes mom think his pee smells stronger, or if it does actually smell stronger. I am getting rid of this litter little by little, every night after I scoop, I add in some tidy cats to replace it. Never ever again! I’ll call the vet in the morning and see what they think I should do.

#38761 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4c:
    You’re welcome. It sounds like you had an enjoyable weekend crafting!! lol You one upped me with the jig saw, never thought of it. One time I was cutting stall mats at a place I was boarding my horses at and my father stopped by to say hi. When he saw what I was doing he asked me why I was cutting the mats with a box cutter. I answered “how else do you want me to cut them, tear them apart with my hands?” He laughed and then explained that he thought it would be much easier to cut them with a jigsaw and boy was it!!

My tote is not smooth on the two corners on one end because of the two wheel wells, so I know what you mean by making sure you have a smooth bottom.

Next one I make, I’m using the jigsaw! 🙂

#38762 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Akari, maybe he’s just not a chicken kind of guy? Try turkey?
    I agree with Bobby dog, if the litter box habits have changed, that’s troubling. On average the clumps in my cat’s boxes are 2-3 inches. Fist sized sounds large to me.
    As far as getting him to drink more, my 5 like clam juice and canned clams in broth. Clams are naturally salty so maybe that will make him thirsty,too.

#38763 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I dunno. He likes any kind of canned food I throw down at him. I guess he likes how ever its cooked in canned foods, rather than raw or broth.

I’ll be weird and take a picture of what I scoop out tonight :p Why is fist-sized too large? What would that mean? Anything bad?

#38765 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Bcn:
    I have a few questions about raw for my kitties too, if you don’t mind sharing. Honestly, I have not researched feeding raw to cats so please excuse my ignorance on the subject. I want to feed some raw to enhance their commercial food diet and help clean their teeth. I was looking for something I can pick up at the grocery store to experiment with.
    Is dicing up beef or lamb a good choice? Or are their better options?
    What types of meat on the bone are good for cats?
    Would ground meat be okay to feed?
    What other cuts/organs are good to feed? For example, are gizzards or hearts good for them?
    Does the raw need to be frozen before feeding or can it be fed straight from the store?

#38767 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Gizzards and hearts are considered muscles. Hearts might actually be a good starting place because they’re small (chicken hearts, anyways). You’re giving me ideas, now. Hm….

#38771 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Akari:
    I have one more suggestion. I would just switch the litter over completely. If you are not sure about the elimination amount and any possble color change due to blood because of the litter, dump it out and put the Tidy Cat in the box.

Okay, two suggestions. If he hasn’t eaten what you put down earlier today make his food like you normally do to keep him hydrated. I am sure Bentley wouldn’t mind a snack of leftover cat food! lol

I have never used clam juice before, but it sounds like a good option.

#38773 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Akari, didn’t mean to worry you. Just saying the smaller sized clumps are normal for my guys. If he was older I’d be worried about large urine clumps (possible sign of diabetes) but he’s a young guy so probably not an issue. We’re all going round and round with the smell and the size of the clumps, etc. I think you’ve got the right idea, call the vet in the morning and see what they say. Better safe than sorry. And I’d just toss the rest of that brown litter so you can see if there’s any blood in the urine. Or clean it and leave the empty box, see if he’ll pee in there and you can bring a sample to the vet.

#38775 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Yeah, maybe I will… This Blue Buffalo stuff smells so bad…! Wet coffee grounds mixed with cat pee just smells so yummy *rolls eyes*

Bentley already eats the cat food if we don’t watch him LOL The cat has learned that if he doesn’t eat it (and no one is paying attention to the dog), he doesn’t get it! He’s adamant about not eating the food with the broth in it, though. I guess I’ll strain it out over Haley and Dweezle’s food, and just give him water in it. At least he likes the water lol

I’ll call the vet in the morning and see what they have to say. I don’t have to leave for work until 1:15 tomorrow, so if I call first thing in the morning they may be able to see me before then. If not, it’ll have to wait for friday or next tuesday or thursday :/ Oh, or saturday! I actually have days to do things this week 😀 Omg, I don’t know how to handle this o.o Anyways… lol

#38776 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Bcn:
    BTW, I don’t know anything about chickens and I kept him about two months before I finally found a home for the rooster. I am a little sick in the head, having a bunch of chickens gathering, gobbling, and strutting around my door at dinner time would crack me up, I would love it. lol

I didn’t know the plight of roosters before I foolishly took him in. No one wants a rooster! He was a cool chicken though. He was so lonely and I felt bad for him so I would spend my afternoons outside studying. He would lay at my feet for hours. If I was doing yard work I would feel bad for him running after me and I would pick him up and carry him like a football, he seemed to like it. The horses didn’t bother him and he hung out with my dog. He was a little leary of my one cat that would stalk him but he would just quickly walk away from him. He was too big for my cat to do anything to him anyway.

I finally found a home for him at a winery near my house. They wanted a rooster for their hens. And if he didn’t work out at the winery, their grounds keeper said she would take him home to her house for her hens. Someday when I have more time I would consider getting some chickens just to have around. Maybe get some old hens that stopped laying eggs. lol

#38777 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi jakes mom

You freeze things that might have parasites, They are killed by freezing. Bacteria are not. I always freeze pork, wild game, and fish.

Hi Bobby dog

Other than shooting for an approximation of a whole animal, the thing to remember with cats is their need for taurine in their diet. Taurine is water soluable, so when you freeze meat then defrost it, it is important for the cat to get the fluids that seperate out, because it may have taurine in it. Hare Today has a supplement to add to meat and bone, but I always buy whole prey grinds for my cats, because they don’t like the supplements. I also tried Darwin’s cat food, but mine didn’t like the texture.

#38779 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Akari:
    If he drinks the water after you strain the food from it, then just keep making a little meat/food water for him to drink in a separate bowl. And make the food like you normally do to keep those liquids flowing. But keep that fountain around and slowly work on introducing him to it.

Jakes mom:
    I never had to get a urine sample from one of my cats, thank goodnes. That’s a clever way to gather a sample. I am going to keep that tip in mind for any possible future issues (hopefully no future issues)! 🙂

#38780 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Nature’s Logic makes a whole food supplement called All Food Fortifier that contains taurine.

#38782 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

He will drink the water in his food dish that is mixed (and covering) his food. If i do the same with the broth, he wont touch it. You’d think the broth tasted better than just water…. Oh well lol So I strained out the broth that I put in earlier, and added just water. One bowl I left some of the broth in, and the other I strained as much as possible. Put them both down, guess which one he won’t touch? LOL He’ll get hungry later, he’s just being a brat lol

#38795 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You are probably putting enough water in his food that he doesn’t need or want more.

#38806 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Would I need to add a taurine supplement if I was just feeding something raw once or twice a week at most?

#38810 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

No.

#38811 Report Abuse
    Molzy

My cat has been on a raw diet for the past two years. He was on canned with water mixed in previously, and has been on the Natures variety chicken medallions since then. I can feed him (9lb, 4 year old male) for less than $1 a day (I get 48 medallions for $17, would be even cheaper if I did the parties or chubs but the medallions are SO convenient!).

I mush his food with water the same as I did his canned food. He was easy to convert, but I’ve heard cats can be extremely difficult. He won’t touch the Honest Kitchen trials I bought him. He will still eat canned and dry (he only gets that when I have to travel overnight).

I started him on raw after he got a UTI. He has gotten one since then, when we moved last year (his are definitely stress induced), but the raw seems to help and his coat and teeth are great!

I think commercial raw might be a good way to start and try to transition, and I think you can usually get a $3 coupon on the natures variety website for new customers.

I also have a fountain…he doesn’t really use it much, I think because I add water to all of his meals (3 a day). But I keep the fountain since I have seen him drink from it occasionally.

#38816 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Molzy:
    I like NV medallions too! Only one of my cats will eat NV. Another one will eat the beef occasionally but not a whole meal of it. I do give my one cat that likes NV a meal or two a week of the medallions as part of his rotation. Darned cats just don’t make it easy on us do they!! 🙂

#38831 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’ve been looking at Natures Variety for him, actually. The canned, and sort of the raw lol About how much do the different raw diets cost? I’ve got three or so of those $3 off coupons they just mailed me, so that’s a possibility.

Here’s a picture of one of the things of pee I pulled out tonight. This one is how big they usually are, much larger than how they’ve been the last few days.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/740D3329-D7AA-45D0-90DB-F88C23A9B971_zpsvknjujts.jpg

Does this mean that maybe he doesn’t have a UTI, since he’s apparently able to produce this amount of urine?

#38849 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Akari, I would say it means he’s not blocked if he’s producing that much but could still have a UTI or cystitis. Some kitties are prone to cystitis and it can be stress related. He’s had a lot going on lately! You’re giving him plenty of opportunity to drink and get water in his food so I’d stop worrying about that part. You mentioned that he was peeing big clumps after his “treatment”, I wonder if the vet gave him any fluids? If he got some subQ fluids that would account for the big clumps you saw at that time and now he’s making regular sized clumps?

#38853 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

The vet never gave him any fluids, that I know of. For his UTI, he gave him a shot and some antibiotics, and when I got him fixed, nothing was shaved but where they cut., so there was no way they gave him an IV or anything. After his antibiotics, he was peeing in softball sized clumps, like above, and before his antibiotics and now he’s peeing in clumps a little smaller than tennis balls. I did pull one out of the litter box like that last night but the litter crumbled and it broke so I couldn’t get a picture. I’ll see how it goes tonight though.

#38864 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

They might have given him subq fluids, they don’t shave anything for that. Or he might have just been peeing more for whatever reason. His current clump looks like a good size to me.

#38871 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

The one picture up there is closer to how big they were inbetween his UTI treatment and me changing the litter to the BB walnut stuff. Still not quite as big as they were, but better than the teeny little ones he was doing after I changed the litter.

I took some more pictures last night, but they are all bigger again, which is good. One was still sorta small, but not too bad.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/CA2A422E-802E-43E4-9493-E52B3009C10C_zpszwoevvps.jpg

The bigger two not in the scoop are bigger than they look, but whatever lol The smaller one is in the scoop. I think he was just on litter strike, because once I started adding normal litter back in there, he started peeing more. I dumped that litter last night (was waiting for garbage day, since he was doing better), and as soon as I got clay litter back in there, he was in the box doing his thing (I haven’t dug around in there yet, though). I guess I’ll just use this walnut stuff to spread out the clay a little bit.

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by Akari_32.
    #38881 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Broth and other additives that contain salt may be causing him to retain water until he has enough in his system to eliminate all of it, which would cause him to have higher volume sometimes.

#38915 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Akari, I mentioned subq fluids in my comments last nite. That’s subcutaneous, under the skin, you wouldn’t see any shaved area. They just put a needle under the skin, the fluid gets absorbed. It might have all disappeared by the time you picked him up. But I would think they would have told you or at least it should have been noted on your bill if they itemized. Anyway, it was just a thought, trying to think of a reason for the bigger clumps at that time. Sounds like he’s doing ok with his regular litter again. I really wouldn’t worry about trying to get him to drink broth and extra water. Keep adding the water to his canned food and that should be fine.

#38949 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

OH MY GOD HE DID IT!!!!! HE DRANK FROM THE FOUNTAIN!!!!!!!!!!! *dies*

#38952 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Betsy Greer:
    Thanks for the Nature’s Logic product name. I am slowly looking into adding some raw food to everyone’s diets and this will be helpful. In the meantime, I have added this to the list of products pertaining to raw diets that have been mentioned on DFA. 🙂

BCn:
    Thanks for the info. Although I will not be feeding raw to my kitties for their meals (yet), thanks for the explanation on frozen meat. I started looking around for sites with info for feeding raw to cats. I would like to start introducing them to some raw just not a whole diet at this time. I plan on purchasing Steve Brown’s book in the near future, in the meantime I had downloaded the PDF from his site a few months ago. I wish I could find something written as simplistic for cats.

Akari:
    Too funny, was it on or off?
    I conquer with BCn and Jakes mom; he seems to be getting enough liquid at this time. I would continue with preparing his food as usual and not add anything else. It may have just been the new litter. Some cats just don’t like change! He’s had allot of change lately so you can’t really blame him. 😉

I bought a huge package of gizzards and hearts today for $1.33. Two of my cats just sniffed it and walked away. lol Bobby snatched a few chunks from me, ran out into the yard, spit them out then began playing with them. I am not discouraged. I am going to chop them up a little finer and see how that goes. If they still are not interested, I am going to cook them lightly and see how they like that. I have a bunch of them to play around with so if nothing else I will be making some kind of dog treat out of them.

#38954 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

It was on. I think he must have seen Bentley drinking from it and decided that maybe he should do it too. I’ve not seen him drinking from it, but Bentley hasn’t touched his own water bowl in days, yet the fountain is missing about an inch of water (though I’m sure some of that is from evaporation). The cat sure hasn’t gone through that much water in just a day! Lol

Haha, if nothing else, you got a $1.33 package of toys LOL I was watching the cat eat tonight and I think I’m gunna try a ground meat with him, just so he gets a taste for it. I think I’ll try beef, since he didn’t seem to like the chicken. I’ll get a thing of stew meat (it’s on sale!) and have the store grind it up, that way I can work on getting him to take chunks of stew meat so he gets some chewing action. Once I get him going on that, I’ll start trying other cuts and meats.

Random question: he gets a really greasy spot on his tail. I brush it out every few days, but it just comes back. What is it??

#38958 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Akari:
    I don’t know about the greasy spot maybe someone else will have some info for you. Do you see him licking the area? I just started giving my cat some Kefir daily on Sunday to see if the probiotics might help with his dry skin. I have been mixing it in his food, he has been eating it with no problem.

Bentley found a new toy and it sounds like he may be training Kitty to drink out of the fountain. 🙂 What a good big brother!!!

Give us an update with your diet trial. I was checking out the stew meat also, but I foolishly decided on the toys I mean gizzards and hearts. lol

BTW, Purina has some new coupons up and has reset the pro plan canned cat food coupons.

#38967 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hey Bobby dog-
    I’m curious about the purina pro plan coupons. I have never bought that canned food for my cats. I thought it was kind of expensive. Plus I’m not really a Purina fan, but I think that Fancy Feast and Friskies are made by them and I feed that occasionally. Lol! So, anyway, where would I find these coupons? I’d like to check it out. Is it better than Fancy Feast? Thanks for your help. Deanna

#38968 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Oh boy, I love coupons! I’ll check them out :3

C4C, the Pro Plan coupon is for buy one get one. I’ve come to the conclusion that all Purina products are pretty much the same, especially the canned foods (both dog and cat) and the litters (they all smell the same!!!!! How can it be unscented when every packaged smells like flowers???). Lol That’s why I don’t have much of a problem with my select few flavors of Friskies compared to the rest of the Purina stuff. It’s cheap, and it looks pretty much exactly the same as Fancy Feasty, Pro Plan, etc. I think the biggest difference is how the food is packaged. Pro Plan is like little tiny sheds, similar to Fancy Feast, and Friskies is Pate, “shreds” (more like noodles lol), and a few others. I say to for it! What’s a few cans gunna hurt?

#38970 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi C4c:
    I don’t know if you read all of this thread, but I made a “grocery store” food list. We discussed it before how our cats can/are addicted to Purina foods for various (mostly unhealthy) reasons, what are we gonna do? So I have a list of the less offensive varieties from Fancy Feast, Sheba, Purina One, and Pro Plan. The difference between Purina’s Friskies and other lines is basically you will find a named meat first in allot of them, some don’t add fish, some may contain artificial colors/flavors and some don’t, all have K3, and maybe some other undesirable ingredients. If you want I can share my list and you can see what I have weeded out solely on ingredients and carb values.

I get frustrated paying almost $2.00/can for good food only for my cats to snub it. So I am now rotating in some Purina foods. After figuring out the carbs for each recipe, then eliminating recipes that don’t have named meats first and are high in carbs you are pretty much left with the pate varieties. I have a few fish recipes in there also because my cats still crave their fish.

Go to the Purina website and at the top of the screen you will find a button for coupons. They have a buy one get one free of the Pro Plan canned cat food. This month there are also Fancy Feast and Purina One coupons along with some others that I don’t use for dry dog and cat food. Sheba offers coupons on their Facebook page.

#38971 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hey Bobby dog, thanks! I’ll check out the website. Yes, I have bought Merrick, Soulistic and Cats in the Kitchen (Weruva) to rotate in and they just usually walk away. LOL! Sometimes it is gone when I go to feed them their next meal, but the problem is that I’m not sure if all cats are eating their share or if one comes back and eats it all. I really have to make sure that my senior kitty eats. They will at least eat Authority, Nutro Max and Chicken Soup foods which are a little better. But, they LOVE their Friskies and Fancy Feast! I have not tried Sheba. I’ll go back through and find your “list”. Thanks, again.

#38973 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey C4c:
    I never posted my full list, just bits and pieces. I will post it later today. I have some hay to unload before my horses eat it all! So don’t waste your time weeding through all the posts! lol 🙂
    Cheers

#38974 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’m actually pretty happy with Sheba, as far as over priced, cheaply made foods goes. One can of most varieties feeds 4 pounds of body weight. So my big fatty only eats 3 cans of it. I buy it when its on sale for 50 cents a can and have coupons. Makes it about the same as Friskies, I think. Haven’t worked it out exactly. And the ingredients aren’t all that bad compared to other foods you can buy at grocery stores. Some meats aren’t named, but, you know… lol

#38976 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hey, how do I add a picture?

#38977 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I use photobucket and use the direct link option.

#38980 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you mean an avatar, you go to gravatar and register and many minutes later it will just appear here.

#38982 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

No, I was meaning an attached picture. But, I already posted my Easter “bunnies” on the review site. Thank you, though.

#39015 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Akari, yay! I knew he’d finally try it. I bet seeing the dog do it was the push he needed. He wouldn’t want to let the dog have anything just to himself! lol!
    I’ve tried several flavors of Sheba and my cats won’t eat it. I bought some wellness food, dry and canned and they weren’t thrilled with that, either, brats! They do like chick soup, Merrick, TOTW and Natural Balance. That’s why it’s good to have a dog, too, he’s more than happy to clean up the unwanted cat food.
    BCn, I bought chicken backs and chicken livers today, will let you know what the kids think about it. Also saw pork necks, would that be good for Jake?

#39020 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hello All:
    Happy Easter to all who celebrate!! 🙂 Does anyone know who cans Chicken Soup, Natural Balance, or TOTW? You both (C4c & Jakes mom) mention you feed them and I have not tried those yet.

C4c:
    Love the Easter photos, they are precious!
    I think the Pro Plan and One are overpriced as well, but if you catch a sale or have coupons the prices are okay. Their ingredients are a little better than Friskies and my cats certainly eat it like it’s Friskies. Gives me a few more choices for their rotation.

There are several lines under Pro Plan, One, Fancy Feast, and Sheba. I chose the recipes below based on having a named meat as the first ingredient, ingredients, and low carbohydrate content; no recipes contain wheat, corn, soy, glutens, or starches. Of course Friskies Poultry Platter is listed! 🙂 I have fed everything listed except the Pro Plan Savor and Focus lines, and my cats loved it all. I listed the undesirable ingredients included in each brand or noted if a recipe did not include them. Most of the Purina lines contain fish; Sheba doesn’t unless it is in the name of the flavor. Here’s my “grocery store” list of cat food:
    Pro Plan –
    • Finesse – K3, artificial flavors, meat by-products
    • Chic & Liver Entree Classic
    • Savor – K3, artificial flavors, fish, meat by-products:
    • Beef & Carrots Entrée Classic
    • Chic & Spinach Entrée Classic
    • Salmon & Wild Rice Entrée Classic
    • Turkey & Veg Entrée Classic
    • Focus – K3, artificial flavor, fish, meat by-products, added color:
    • Chic & Beef Entrée Classic
    • Kitten Chic & Liver Entrée Classic

One – K3, artificial flavor, fish, meat by-products, poultry by-products, added color, corn oil, sodium nitrate
    • Classic Turkey (no fish)
    • Classic Beef
    • Classic Chic

Fancy Feast – K3, artificial flavors, meat-by products, poultry by-products, added color, and fish
    • Turkey and Giblets Feast Classic (no added poultry by-products or color)
    • Tender Liver & Chicken Feast Classic (no added color or fish)
    • Kitten Tender Turkey Feast (no added poultry by-products or fish)
    • Fish & Shrimp Feast Flaked (no added poultry/meat by-products or color and contains sodium nitrate)
    • Kitten Tender Ocean Whitefish Feast (no poultry by-products)

Friskies – K3, meat-by products, poultry by-products, artificial flavors, and fish
    • Poultry Platter

Sheba – K3, meat by-products, poultry by-products, added color, Sodium Tripolyphosphate
    • Beef entrée
    • Beef & Chicken entrée
    • Chicken entrée
    • Chicken & Liver entrée
    • Cod & Shrimp entrée
    • Salmon entrée
    • Salmon & Shrimp entrée
    • Turkey entrée

#39103 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hey guys! The cat is drinking really well now (another inch gone from the fountain over the last day!), so I’ve decided to add dry food back into his diet. I’ve got a good deal on Simply Nourish Source, so I’m gunna get a small bag of the Rabbit and a small bag of the Kitten Chicken and Turkey. The rabbit one does have fish, but it’s 12th on the list, so I don’t think it matters too much, but I’d still like to hear thoughts on that. Still an hour before I get there, at least. I’m also gunna get two free cans of the Source. Not sure on the flavor yet lol

#39145 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I think that would be fine. Just remember how important it still is to keep feeding some wet food everyday. I’ve never given my cats rabbit. I’d like to give it a try. Is Simply Nourish a Pet Smart brand? Where did you get the coupons? As far as the fish being the 12th ingredient, I personally don’t think it is an issue. My senior, 15 year old cat has developed hyperthyroidism, but I fed her the fancy feast fish variety pack for probably 4 or 5 years along with her dry food everyday. Oh how, I wish I knew better! I thought I was feeding them really well. I caught it early and with a tiny pill daily, she is doing fine. So point being, I don’t think a little fish now and then will hurt. I believe it is the high level of iodine that can lead to the condition. Sounds like you are turning in to a crazy cat lady. Welcome 🙂 lol!

#39159 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Oh I know! I plan to do half the recommended amount of dry and half the recommended amount of canned, and still add water to his canned.

I did not use the SN coupon that PetSmart has out, but if you go here… -> http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/allthosethingsilove_2?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.allthosethingsilove.com%2Fpetsmart-5-off-simply-nourish-pet-food-coupon-2-free-cans-with-purchase-2%2F&dm_redirected=true#2494

… It tells you how to get it. I used a $5 off any Natural or Specialty food coupon that prints out on the receipt. It would have worked the same either way lol

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,489 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.