🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 1,489 total)
  • Author
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Bobby dog-
    Thanks for the list. I have to stay away from fish as my senior kitty has hyperthyroidism. She was not shown in either picture, but shes 15 and looks like a kitten still! I’ll try printing out some coupons and give the Purina without fish a try. For some reason, I think that the Chicken Soup is canned by Simmons. I was glad to see it on the budget friendly list. I haven’t fed either of the other two. They are out of my network (budget). Lol! Thanks, again.

#39166 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Right now the Pro Plan is 69 cents a can at PetSmart, till the 27th! Better grab it while you can! 🙂

#39174 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4c:
    Purina loves to put fish in everything. But at least there is the Pro Plan Finesse chic, One Turkey & Fancy Feast Turkey varieties to give a whirl with the coupons (every little bit helps). I feed something with fish once or twice a week because the cats go on hunger strikes if I don’t; they are such brats.
    Last Sunday I started giving my older kitty with hyperthyroidism kefir daily to see if that will help with his dry skin. He had a round of antibiotics about a month ago when he lost his tooth. He developed a small infection but had no other problems with the loss of his tooth and his bloodwork came back excellent. I don’t know if it’s my imagination, but I swear the dry spots don’t look as irritated. IDK…
    If I had to do it all over again my cats would never had eaten any dry food, fish, corn, wheat, or soy. They would also eat pumpkin puree’ and coconut oil without any issues. Oh well, now I know better. I am going to give Chicken Soup a try for my kitties since you and Jakes mom have had success with it. They are getting tired of Wellness and Merrick. I am going to see if I can find out where Natural Balance and TOTW is canned too.

Akari:
    I wish Petsmart was closer to me! ugh It just isn’t worth the gas even with the coupon because I just stocked up, oh well. They also irritate me because they don’t sell canned food over the Internet.
    I think you will be fine trying some dry food. You know what to look for as far as his litter habits are concerned. I think the dry with the fish ingredient will be fine also. I feed dry too just not as much as they would like to eat. I actually bought three small bags of the Wellness kitten that has fish meal in it for $3.24 each that were on the clearance rack to mix in with their regular food. I couldn’t pass up that bargain! lol
    See what happens when you give up on a cat!! Next thing you know they start doing what you wanted them to do; I’ll write it again, they are such brats. 🙂

#39177 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

BobbyDog-
    My hyper kitty does not, thankfully have dry skin. Her main issue is occasional vomiting. Which gets a little old cleaning up. But the meds have definitely helped. Also Nutro Max is another canned food I use for cats that is on the budget friendly list. It usually runs about $1 for the 6 oz can. I wish I could find as great of a deal on cat food as the Pure Balance or Cuts in Gravy dog food though.

#39179 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4c:
    Vomit does get a little old to clean up. My female kitty was vomitting here and there until I switched to food without wheat, corn, and soy so I feel for you!

I do feed Nutro here and there, but I keep picking the flavors they don’t seem to like too much. I haven’t tried all of them so I am going to keep experiementing.

I am going to check out Chicken Soup’s website right now.

Every time I shop for Bobby’s canned food I mutter to myself “why can’t I find a good canned cat food for $1.00 in a large can that they absolutely love like Bobby loves these foods” dogs are so much easier!!! lol

#39182 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to add! I bought nail caps and clippers for him. I bought the nail caps on eBay, and then the next day I bought the clippers on eBay. Both shipped from Hong Kong. The nail clippers I bought with Canadian money (I have no idea…. LOL), and they shipped out the day after I paid, and I got them today. The nail caps shipped out several days after I paid, and they should be here on the 22nd or so. But anyways, I clipped his nails just to get him used to it. He did it no problem! He was so good! On his front paws he did want to play with the clippers and bite them (he does the same with the brush, and my phone lol) but a quick “no” and shoving his head under my arm holds him off for a couple seconds. His back paws, he just sat there, belly up, like “yeah, whatever. I’m a cat.” Hopefully doing his nail caps goes that smoothly :p

#39184 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I don’t know anything about nail caps and I don’t know anyone who has ever used them. I have had plenty of experience with nail clipping and you are soooooo lucky he doesn’t mind. I only had to trim my cats nails when they were indoor kitties thank goodness!!

I used to wrap the brother & sister kitties up like a tootsie role in a towel to trim them.

My other female kitty is the worst for nail trimming or taking meds. She only weighs 7 lbs but I would much rather give meds to my uncooperative 17h Thoroughbred any day of the week than that cat; at least I can trim his hooves without any problems! lol

#39186 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

I gave the cats and Jake some chix livers today, they loved it!! Also bought some chix backs, will give one to Jake tomorrow.
    Bobby dog, I agree with you, I wish my guys had never eaten dry food or soy, wheat, etc! But you know that old saying,” when you know better, you do better” Now that’s us, doing better for our kids!
    I keep forgetting to tell you and C4c about another DIY cat box. When I was a crazier cat lady and had 13, I used one of those plastic kid’s pools as a cat box. The sides aren’t very high so not a good choice if you have a cat that flings litter around but good for older cats or babies to climb in and out.
    I also have a hyperthyroid cat, he’s almost 19 and doing great. He still loves to play and holds his own with the other ones when we play with the fishing pole type toys.
    One more food to add to our list if you don’t mind “cheating” once in a while . I accidently grabbed a can of dog food instead of cat. My cats absolutely loved BB Basics turkey and potato dog food!

#39189 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Jakes mom:
    Yes, I agree we are doing better! 🙂

I love the kids pool idea!!! You were a crazier cat person. lol

I don’t mind cheating once in a while. I am always thinking of what to give them for a meal a few times a week, other then cat food, that is good for them for budget reasons of course. Only a few of them will eat boiled chicken.

My hypo cat (11 yrs) is doing well also, has energy, seems happy, always loveable, but I have been battling dry skin. Fish & coco oil has helped a great deal and it is much better now that winter is over. Fingers crossed, Kefir will help also.

Did you give them the livers raw? I am so jealous, my cats walked away from the gizzards and hearts, Bobby just played with his. Maybe livers will be next to try, I am not going to give up. lol Let us know how the chicken back went.

#39190 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Yep! He’s really good with it. Doing his front paws is kind of a trick just because his kitty A.D.D. kicks in and he’s like “ooooh! Something shinny waving around in front of my face! Must! Get! SHINY!” LOL But he’s not horrible, and doesn’t get aggressive or overly persistent about about getting it.

#39194 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

yes, the liver was raw. I just cut it into smaller pieces and said, “hey, look what Mom has!”.
    My 12yo girl Julie, was actually shrieking as I was cutting it up! I didn’t give too much, didn’t want any GI issues. I froze the rest in a freezer bag. Flattened it out and figure I can crack off a chunk when I want it.

#39199 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Are those the magic words, “hey, look what Mom has!”? Because I didn’t say that, maybe that’s my problem! lol

#39209 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

yeah, maybe that’s it! lol The liver is a whole different texture, maybe that’s something to consider, too. Not tough like a muscle. Did you ask the meat dept at a grocery for the hearts/gizzards or did you go to a butcher or specialty market?
    I guess I’m lucky with my 5, they’re not very picky, don’t fight with each other and Dustin, my thyroid kitty, even comes when called to get his meds.

#39212 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Actually, I was at Wal-Mart looking to see if they had beef tongue or turkey necks, which they didn’t, so I saw a large package of gizzards and hearts for $1.33. I haven’t ventured to a butcher shop yet. There is only one in my area and it is a very trendy butcher shop. They have wine tasting and cheese making demonstrations so I am not sure what their prices are like.

I am going to take a walk down to a sheep farm by my house. They sell meat, eggs, honey, wool, and some other things I can’t remember. I’ll see what they have to offer (if anything) that I could try feeding my fur babies.

No big deal, I am going to lightly boil some and make who knows what else I can out of the gizzards and hearts. I am sure Bobby will eat them in a treat form. lol Three things he doesn’t eat raw carrots, gizzards, and hearts; I can’t complain about that!! 🙂

#39261 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Well, the chicken back was very well received! They had a lot of fat/skin globs so I trimmed some of it off. He was very interested while I was trimming. I gave him a bit of the meat and he ate it so I thought that was probably a good sign. He wasn’t sure about the back when I gave it to him. He kind of looked at it and licked it. I sat on the floor and encouraged him. He licked it and kept looking at me. I ended up holding it for him for a few minutes. Yuk. But he started to chew as I held it, I kind of played tug with him at first. Finally he settled down on the floor with it and happily chewed away for about 15 minutes. I actually cut them in half, they seemed kind of big for him so now I have 7 more in the freezer. Was happy to see that he didn’t go too fast and gulp it down, I was worried about that. The cats were all interested, too. Maybe I’ll get some wings for them to try, I think the backs would be hard to cut down to kitty size. I had enough trouble getting them cut in half. Thanks BCnut for the encouragement! I saw pork necks at the store too. maybe I’ll try those next time?

#39264 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Mine really like pork, lamb, goat and beef necks!!

#39285 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’m looking at oral flea preventions for the cat, and I’m wondering about this Program stuff. He currently weighs about 10.5 pounds, and he’s maintaining that very well. It goes from 1-10 pound doses to 11-20 pound doses. Cat apparently don’t weigh 10-11 pounds. Which one should I get?? Anyone have any other suggestions on cheap but effective oral flea preventatives?

#39290 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Never mind, I found Capstar for a really good price 🙂

#39324 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Bobby dog-
    I’m curious about what K3 means on your food list?

#39333 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It’s the “bad” vitamin K.

#39336 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi C4c:
    Among other things that is one of the drawbacks of Purina, not only do they add fish to just about all cat food, they also include the bad K3 in just about every recipe they make for cats and dogs. 🙁 I have found a few canned dog foods without K3.

Jakes mom:
    Sounds like he had a good day! What size of dog is he? I lightly boiled the gizzards and hearts and Bobby is happily eating them. I froze most of them.

BCn:
    I am going to keep an eye out for pork, lamb, goat and beef necks too.

Akari:
    Did the cat get fleas from your dogs? Or is this as you wrote a preventative measure?

#39351 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Our dogs have fleas from the neighbors dogs. They used to have like 8 dogs in their yard, and about 6 or 8 people living in their 2 bed 1 bath house, as well as several cats! So all of our pest problems are from them. The cat does have a flea collar, and he’s considerably better than Bentley is (Bentley is not currently on anything for fleas– he hasn’t had his Trifexis in about 4 months. I’m not paying for that dogs get bills or food anymore!), but I’d like to be flea free, especially if I’m moving out in the summer like I’m planning on. We used to have ticks. I’m glad it’s “just” fleas now! (Even though there’s a lot of them….)

#39358 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Akari, I used Capstar years ago, it worked really well. But if I remember correctly it’s not a preventative, it just kills adult fleas and used mostly for an infestation. You’d still need Program or something monthly.
    Bobby dog, Jake is a beagle basset mix. He’s 9 1/2 years old, 30ish pounds. He’s the only dog I have left, lost my other 2 in the past year and a half, one to heart failure at 13yo and the other to lymphoma last fall when he was 11. Hoping these changes will help keep Jake with me a lot longer. I’ll give him another hunk of chicken tomorrow, see how he does second time around. Seems like a couple of the cats have changed their minds about the liver, or maybe just not interested tonite. Who knows with them, right?

#39363 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

My understanding is that Capstar is only effective for about 24 hours. It works great while you are waiting for something else to take effect, but it doesn’t continue to act.

#39365 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Akari:
    I was thinking what Jakes mom just wrote, that Capstar wasn’t a preventative but I am not positive. Maybe the Cedarcide mentioned on the other thread will work for you.

Jakes mom:
    That sounds like an adorable dog! I am sure the changes you have made in his food will help keep Jake around for quite some time to come! 🙂 Bobby is 44 lbs and he is a rescue dog from a Tennessee shelter so I am not sure what he is. I (and many other people) have guessed some kind of Cattle Dog, Blue Heeler (he has the coloring of a Blue Heeler), Border Collie, Terrier mix or not, who knows… Maybe even some sort of hunting dog is in him because he points and he is obsessed with birds. I don’t hunt and have never been around any type of hunting dogs so IDK.

I was asking what size Jake is because I thought I would copy from Jakes dinner menu since it seems to be going well for him. Bobby isn’t a gulper and he doesn’t eat his meals fast so although I will monitor him when I try out chicken backs or other things, it sounds like they would probably eat about the same size in raw selections.

Cats are just terrible sometimes! lol Do you think they would appreciate their meals more if they knew the thought we put into it?

#39367 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Aw crap! You guys are right! I emailed them to cancel the order. After it goes through and I get my money back I’ll get the Program stuff. So back to that, which should I get? The 1-10 pound or the 11-20 pound? He’s 10.5 pounds…. Lol

#39368 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I am not sure Akari, I have never used it. Do they have a website for FAQ’s? Or maybe call them or ask your Vet for advice? Maybe someone else on the forum has used it before. Sorry, not much help.

#39380 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I weighed him again tonight and he’s up a pound. I’m not sure if it was the scale being stupid at some point (i changed the batteries tonight because every time I stood on it I got a different weight!) or what. I’ll weigh him every few days until my cancelled order is worked out.

I think I’m actually gunna try this instead, though.

It’s also sold at Sears, but it’s much cheaper on Amazon. I’ll be getting the $19.49 one. It’s the same seller, just the one linked has an option for free shipping at $35. I read the reviews and the bad reviews are from people that don’t understand how it works. They were expecting something that killed adult fleas and kept them away when really what this does is kill young fleas and eggs. And I think it makes the adult fleas infertile, basically. But I’ve been looking at a bunch of flea stuff tonight, so maybe not LOL Don’t feel like looking. I also told mom she needed to get Bentley back on his Trifexis. The poor guy looks like he’s been swimming in fleas.

#39397 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Guysguysguysguys! I found something this cat won’t eat! (Besides raw chicken, but I’ll work him on that lol) Whitefish. Yep! I made up his food yesterday and since it was small cans I had to mix them to get the right amount ( I mix canned and dry together so that he doesn’t get picky on me). He’s never cared about what I mixed together and some of his wellness cans are tuna, but I had a can of Blue Buffalo weight management whatever and it was whitefish. In the morning he ate it, but he was like “what the crap is this?” And then after I got home from work (around 6:30), I was immediately shoved off to my grandparents for dinner and we didn’t get home until like 9 or so, so I couldn’t feed him his 3 meals, and had to give him a big meal before bed.

Usually he just munches all night, but this morning over half of it is still there LOL The BB did have a strong fish smell. I don’t think he liked that to begin with. Fine by me, but don’t waste the food, you brat! You could at least pick at it Lol I woke up entirely too early this morning, and he came up and bothered me and tried to eat my fingers, then decided he’d go back down and eat the food anyways, but I took it up since I want him to actually eat his food today and it’s been sitting out all night.

So there we have it! A food he actually won’t eat. I’m so proud LOL

#39403 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Wow, I wish my cats hated Whitefish!!! If he never eats it, he won’t like it! lol

I don’t know anything about the flea med you found. My suggestion is to look up the active ingredients and research them to see if they are effective or have any reported side effects you need to be aware of.

I hope your mom listens to you about Bentley’s HW/flea med. She may need to get him a blood test to check for HW since he hasn’t had any protection for three months. Keep putting the bug in her ear. Maybe she/you can pick up the Frontline Plus or PetArmor from Wal-Mart to at least keep the fleas at bay in the mean time. 🙂

#39406 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Akari, I would be very careful about ordering flea meds over the web. Lots of imitations and fakes out there and who knows about the active ingredients and their concentrations. Cats are so sensitive to chemicals! I got Capstar at PetSuppliesPlus. You could still give him a dose or 2 while waiting for the preventative to kick in. I don’t use preventatives any more since I moved from the country and all the cats are strictly indoor. I’d go with one that kills all stages so you’re covered when eggs already laid on pets or in the house hatch.
    Bobby dog, maybe Bobby has a little GSP in him, they have a blue /gray/brownish coat too and that would account for the bird obsession! lol! He might be OK with a whole chicken back instead of a half. I cut mine in half longways because it seemed kind of big for Jake but you can see what you think when you open them. I imagine every package will be different depending on the chicken and the butcher, lol!

#39407 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Right? LOL

It’s comparable to Program, apparently. And yes, Bentley does need to be tested. They have to test yearly here, regardless. Frontline doesn’t work down here, neither does advantage. Our vet has actually stopped selling them. The only thing that even remotely worked (besides the Trifexis, which is the only thing that works at all) is the cheapy Sentry stuff from PetSmart. It was 10 bucks for 4 tubes lol

#39408 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’ve heard all the bad stuff about ordering meds online. I’m not just jumping in all willy-nilly, don’t worry. This company also has a website, and sell at Sears. I’ve been eyeing it for a few days, and I’ve read over all the reviews and did a quick search for them online to see if I could turn up any bad info on them. Nothing so far! The only thing that confuses me about it, and I’ll email them when I have a chance, is that the box I’m looking at is for much larger dogs than cats. I’m sure it just has to do with how cats and dogs react to the chemicals used, but it still seems weird. I’ve gotta look into that a bit further.

#39427 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Jakes mom:
    I was thinking GSP too. His obsession with birds is unreal. Even in the pet store he gets so engrossed looking at the birds in cages a circus could walk by and he wouldn’t even notice. If you didn’t look at his head or tail and just saw his body markings you would definately think GSP. Then, you see his head and think hmmmm what kind of dog are you? From the day both ears stood up the first comment out of everyone’s mouth was “awww, his ears are too big for his head…” lol. His tail is not quite long enough for his body type, but it is not too short either; he’s a riot.

I just did my pet run earlier last week so it will be a while before I have to venture out and get more food. But, I’ll let you guys know how Bobby did when I do try it out or anything else with the cats.

Akari:
    So that’s a normal procedure where you live, HW blood test yearly? Not just if you missed a dose? I don’t think Frontline works too well where I live either but it does help a little. I haven’t tried Advantage and hopefully I won’t have to, but you never know.

#39430 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Yep. Yearly no matter what. Probably because it’s such a problem in Florida, and they want to make sure they aren’t becoming immune to any certain med.

#39440 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Wow, didn’t know that. At least they are on top of things, that’s good.

#39455 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Here in Ohio we only do HW meds june-nov unless it’s been an unusually warm year. Seems to vary from vet to vet whether dog gets tested every year.
    Bobby dog, Jake had his second piece of chicken back and it was about like the first time. I gave it to him and he just kind of looked at it, then me, back at the chicken, gave it a lick. He played with it for a couple of minutes, kept glancing at me. I told him he was on his own, I wasn’t going to hold it again! After playing with it he settled down and chewed it up!
    I wish I knew what he was thinking. He likes it obviously, since he ate it, but he doesn’t go crazy, all bouncy and excited, like he does with other treats. Bobby sounds like a cutie, that’s quite a combo! I love it when the ears don’t match the body! Or ears so long it looks like they’ll trip over them! lol
    Jake found a bunny nest on our walk in the woods today! He was sniffing under a log and lifted his head, had a tiny bunny in his mouth! Really tiny,eyes still closed. Lungs worked, tho! Was squealing like crazy! I put my hand out and told Jake to drop it and he gave it to me. Seemed ok, wiggling all around , no blood. Jake has a pretty soft mouth. So I put it back into the nest and we’ll stay away from that area for a while! I’ve read that bunny moms don’t care if there’s human scent at the nest, they’ll still care for the babies. So I hope that’s the case anyway! It was so tiny, I could have fit 2 in the palm of my hand! Just adorable!

#39456 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I hate it when Bobby finds bunny nests!!! I have put my fair share back in the nest. Bunnies don’t seem to hide their nests too well from him. If I remember correctly bunnies only come by for feedings a couple times a day. The first time Bobby found a nest I thought it was abandoned until I checked it out on the Internet. The bunnies looked okay so I put them back and kept Bobby away until they were gone; that was quite a task.

That is exactly how Bobby acts with a new type of food, not too thrilled but usually eats it. I hope I can get him into the swing of things with trying and liking raw. If I could even find a few things, hopefully with the bone, I would be a happy camper.

#39460 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Bobby dog, that’s exactly what I had read, to not worry if Mom’s not at the nest, they only come a few times a day. But I was so surprised that he actually gave it to me! With my other dogs I would have had to pry their mouth open!
    I’m hoping Jake will do well with the bones. I would like him to do the bones if nothing else to help with his teeth. He had it this afternoon, before dinner. I gave him a little less kibble but I have no idea what the chicken would equal as far as calories. Maybe BCnut can advise us on that aspect?

#39491 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I found this to be an interesting site an article regarding cats’ and dogs’ diets: http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/why-dry-food-is-bad-for-cats-and-dogs/ Enjoy!

#39537 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

C4C, thanks so much for that article, I recommend it to everyone. Very informative.

#39562 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Very interesting article! I kept the window open on my phone so I could read the other ones at the bottom of the page lol

Oh! And I tried some more raw with the kitty today! I found a 1 pound tub of frying chicken gizzards at Publix for $1.79, and I always grab a few when they get them in (someone must order them because they aren’t always on the shelf). Since these were for frying, they were already in little pieces (and smaller). Kind of in quarters. I put a few pieces over his food tonight, and he went straight for them, and loved them! My roommate also said that she has left some chicken out to thaw on the counter, and he had it on the floor playing with it… LOL

#39574 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4c:
    Enjoyed the article, thanks! I also bookmarked the page and added Dr. Dodds book to my reading list; it keeps growing.

Akari:
    Sounds like Kitty is getting a taste for some raw!! Yeahhhhhhh :p

#39575 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Bobby dog-
    While I thought the article was very informative. It makes me feel bad that I feel any kibble to my cats and it is the majority of what my dogs eat. 🙁 Moving forward, I have been working to improve all their diets over the past year. 🙂 You guys actually have me thinking about trying to add some raw to the cats diet. I do worry about their teeth. There is no way I would be able to catch 4 cats to brush their teeth! So, chicken gizzards, huh? Hmmm, gonna look in to it. I was wondering about the K3 in the cat food. Is that how it is listed in the ingredients? I don’t really know what it is.

Akari-
    Yes, you are definitely turning in to a crazy cat lady. You are laughing at the cat taking food off the counter. Non cat people would be mad. I’m so proud of you! 🙂

#39577 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Since he apparently liked the chicken breasts the roommate had out, I’ll try some of those when the gizzards are gone. I let the gizzards thaw for a day in the fridge, then portioned them out into 4 bags last night for all the critters eating pleasures, and refroze three of the bags. I expect one bag will last me about 2 days, if I’m stingy on giving them out lol I’ve gotta spread a pound out between 210 pounds of dog and cat, so I can’t be too liberal with it :p

He really seemed to like the gizzards, though, so thats something I’ll give him again. These ones were mostly nickel sized, but some were still whole or mostly whole. I gave Bentley a half one, but the other dogs got pasta with chicken (the chicken the cat played with lol) and some egg drop soup I didn’t eat the other night (I don’t think egg drop soup would be very good reheated, but the dogs sure loved it!). They got my pasta and chicken because the cat was being a butt. As always LOL I was sitting on the couch eating, and put my bowl in my lap to take a drink, and he just HAD to see what I was drinking, and jumped on my lap to investigate. His foot landed right in my food! Stupid cat lol Luckily it was my second serving, so I wasn’t really that hungry anymore. I just took it as a sign that I didn’t need to eat any more lol But I still only took like two bites out of it….

Nah, I’ve got all kinds of stories of the dogs and rabbits and fish being brats that I laugh about after the fact too lol I’m just crazy whatcha-gunna-do-about animal lady LOL

#39578 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey C4c:
    K3 can be listed several ways, one way is Menadione sodium bisulfate complex. It is one ingredient that is a pet peeve of mine (among others). A few years ago in one of my anatomy classes my Professor discussed K3 and I guess it just stuck in my head. Here’s some good info about it being included in pet food recipes (they explain it better than I ever could). There are many other sites that have info too, but probably the dogfoodproject IMO explains it a little more in depth and keeps it simple.

/choosing-dog-food/menadione-in-dog-food/
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione

My cats do eat some food with K3 in their rotation; Purina being one of them. If I could get them to eat better quality canned food all the time I would, but they are stubborn and we all know you can end up with terrible health problems if you starve a cat. One of the reasons I researched the food ingredients for my “grocery store list” of pet food. If they are going to be addicted to Purina, the least I can do is find the best recipes out of all of their lines.

I do feel bad about kibble ingredients, but not near as bad when I first found this site. I feel I am making more informed decisions about the quality of kibble I am feeding and now it is only half of Bobby’s diet and the cats are only getting at most 1/8 C /day of kibble. So as Jakes mom wrote, “when you know better, you do better.”

Come on the raw journey with us!! lol At least I have Bobby the garbage disposal when my raw selections don’t go over well with the cats. Me and him will be finishing up the Kefir. lol

Also, on that Little Big Cat site I found an article about probiotics for cats. My kitty is starting to turn his nose up to Kefir. So I am researching what human probiotics I can supplement him with, nice site. 🙂

#39580 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Bobby dog-
    Thank you, I think? Wow, will pay more attention to that nasty ingredient. Yes, I don’t feed much kibble to my cats anymore either. Mostly just my big boys. The smaller girls mostly eat canned. My dogs, however, are a different story. I have two 80ish pounders that will eat anything. Their diet so far is mostly kibble. But I have it down to about 75% of their diet. I’m going to poke around that Little Big Cat site as well. I haven’t visited it for quite some time. I kind of forgot about it. Mostly refer to the cat info site. BTW, I don’t blame your cats. I don’t think kefir tastes very good either. LOL!

#39617 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4c:
    I just dug up this article, couldn’t find where I saved it earlier. Just a little more info on K3:

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-only-approved-vitamin-k-supplement-in-pet-food/

Off the top of my head Rachael Ray includes K3 in alot of her recipes but not Zero Grain, the tubs, or the two chicken wet foods. Purina adds it to most dog & cat food (wet & dry); I have found a few of their canned dog foods w/o it. Nature’s Recipe includes it in most of their recipes for cats & dogs and some of the Soulistic cat food contains it. Basically, pet foods considered lower to mid-tier quality might include K3 in their recipes.

Just another ingredient to add to the list of undesireables and another reason a rotation diet makes sense.

#39631 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Alright! Nail caps are in and I have the front paws done! Well, all but one nail. I must have put too much glue in one of them, and now the only nail I haven’t done is all glued in to place. The cat isn’t very happy with me LOL Luckily the roommate has nail polish remover, so we are slowly working on getting that nail worked back out. He’s chewing on it and I’ve soaked in nail polish remover for a few minutes. He started growling at me so I let him have a break after a few unhappy noises lol I’ll work in the back nail later, as well as working on getting that one glued in nail back out of it’s hiding place. It comes out a little bit, but we’ve still got a ways to go lol

#39633 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Akari:
    I didn’t know you had to glue nail caps on. I used to do the artificial nail thing, all kinds, gel, tips etc. Nail polish remover is probably very irritating to his skin regardless if it is acetone (sp) or non acetone.

I never experienced it, but fungus also tends to grow between the glue and nail bed whenever you expose your hands to water such as hand washing and showers. I know cats don’t wash their paws but they can get moisture on their paws when they use the litter box.

Just suggesting you monitor Kitty closely to make sure they don’t hinder the natural movement of his nails or that they cause any irritation or infections to happen. 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 1,489 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.