🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan K
    Participant

I’m looking for a low fat food for my little guy. He’s been on science diet low fat I/D prescription food for a couple years now. He needs a super low fat food or he gets bad reflux. Does anyone know which foods are both high quality and have a fat % under 9%?

#164735 Report Abuse
    jeanne e
    Participant

I use the HILLS PRESCRIPTION. RD . My dog went from 60# to a
    Normal weight of 42#. Also in losing weight Vet told me not 2 gi e big dog treats. Break it up. Dogs don’t know the difference in
    Size. As for digestion, in switching foods blend at 1st with current food. My dog had no digestive issues. HTHs 🐾

#164744 Report Abuse
    Ryan K
    Participant

Oh yes I meant to say HILLS and said Science Diet. That is what my dog is on but I really want to get him off of it because I feel that it is overpriced for something just full of filler and nothing truly healthy. I’m wondering if another food has a similar fat content with a low omega oil content too? He gets acid from a lot of foods due to the oil content. He can’t take any supplemental oil or he gets super sick. It’s frustrating since so many foods are jam packing their kibble with omega oils now. I understand it’s good for them but it’s so triggering for my dogs reflux. 😭

#164779 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hill’s is a great company. All of their ingredients have a purpose. You will probably have to stick to prescription food to find the low fat food you are looking for. Royal Canin and Purina also make Rx diets. Ask your vet about them.

#164820 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Ryan,
    I feed Patch – “Canidae Pure Senior” its has 10.80%max- fat, high protein-30% & low/med carbs around 30%carbs, also the lower the fat% & lower the protein% kibbles are higher the carbs, same with HIGH fiber diets can also cause Acid reflux, too much Omega oils, NSAID, steriod medications, joint, Arthritis, skin supplements, can also cause acid reflux…

Look at Canidae Pure Weight Management kibble its 9%-fat, has same or very similar ingredients to the Canidae Pure Senior kibble & the fiber is 5% alot of Weight Management kibbles are low fat but high in fiber.
    https://www.canidae.com/dogs/canidae-pure-grain-free-weight-management-dry-dog-food-chicken/

I try & stick with around 10-13%max- Fat, 30%-Protein & 30%-Carbs, fiber-5% & under & the kibble has to have Potato or Sweet Potato or both.
    People don’t realise the dog also needs low/med carbs & try & avoid fermentable grains as they ferment in the gut causing acid reflux – wheat, barley, oats and rye, most vet diets contain these grains Patches acid reflux seems to get worse when eating grain Gastrointestinal vet diets .
    What I’ve found over the years, dogs who suffer with Acid reflux seem to do better on a Grain Free Potato diets, when the dog is having a acid reflux attack- I boil Sweet potato in small pieces & I freeze – take out 1 piece sweet potato, put on plate in Microwave to thaw then I mash the sweet potato give to dog, the potato settles dog or human esophagus, throat & stomach…
    For Lunch I buy Tin- Yellow Fin Tuna, Tuna is the lowest in fat & low in omega oils, Sardines & Salmon are too strong for Patch, he mouth licks, I add boiled mashed White & Sweet Potato also add the white of a boiled egg sometimes, the yellow egg yoke is high in fat.
    For his Arthritis he’s 12yrs old now, I’ve been doing Physiotherapy twice a day as he cant take NSAID drugs, his vet said Physio will extend his life as alot of dogs get Put To Sleep cause they become so stiff & cant walk in the end, he takes Panadol Children Chewable 3+years 120mg when in pain, 10mg per kg..
    I do the Sausage Roll Massage as your massaging & rolling dog skin you’ll feel dogs skin flinching stop & hold the twitching roll/skin for 5-10sec it will be a bit uncomfortable at first so offer the dog treats or his kibble after 1 week its not as painful & Patch rolls have stop twitching.

Have you joined F/B group called “Acid Reflux in Dogs” I cant believe how many poor dogs are suffering with Acid Reflux.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1635198406751056

#164821 Report Abuse
    a c

I rotate between Annamaet lean and Candiae less active dry food. I also add fresh vegetables, sardines, chicken tenderloin, 1% cottage cheese, and occasionally a small piece of liver to their diet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.