šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Sheltie_Pom

Which canned dog food is the best to feed my 8 1/2 week old Pomeranian Ty? I would prefer to feed something that my local Walmart sells. I know they sell Purina (Alpo, One and Might Dog), Ol’ Roy, Iams and Pedigree.

#35951 Report Abuse
    Sheltie_Pom

I am hoping they carry Pure Balance canned food because it is rated at 5 stars on here.

#35954 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

while there are a lot of options NOT at walmart, the only one I would even consider is pure balance

#35956 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I will have to agree – the only Walmart brand I’d ever trust is Pure Balance. Although I believe Ol’ Roy tubs are rated 3.5 stars on here. If you can’t find PB, possibly try finding a nearby feed store or even try online shopping? I really would avoid anything by Purina…

#35957 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Pure Balance is very reasonably priced. It also has a puppy formula in the canned version.

#35958 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Sheltie Pom:
    I recommend you check out DFA’s canned food list for 3.5 – 5 star canned foods to start with and for the DFA ratings of the brands I have listed below to help with your decision. If you are looking to purchase food from Wal-Mart I suggest you look at Pure Balance stews & 95% canned selections, Rachael Ray Nutrish tubs, Freshpet, Newmanā€™s, Variety, Natural Life, and Evolve. Not all Wal-Marts carry all of these brands.

If you are looking for budget friendly canned foods also look into Kirkland Cuts and Gravy from Costco (you have to buy a case, they are about 75 cents/can) or 4Health from Tractor Supply $1.00/can.

Since you are feeding a puppy, look for puppy or all life stages to be listed on any brand you decide to feed; not adult only food. I am not sure which brands meet the puppy/all life stages criteria out of the brands I have listed.

I also recommend you look into rotational feeding for your pup. Here’s a link to a DFA article about rotational feeding:
    /frequently-asked-questions/diet-rotation-for-dogs/

I feed Pure Balance along with some of the brands I listed above to my dog; he loves the taste, and does well on both Pure Balance varieties and all flavors.

#35960 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Sheltie Pom –

Pure Balance made by ‘Ol Roy and carried by Walmart – it looks like a great food for a great value. Some other decent quality canned foods available at Walmart are Variety, Newman’s Own, Natural Life, Ol’ Roy Healthy Mix (tubs), Rachel Ray (tubs) and Iams Woof Delights (tubs). I believe all of these products are rated 3.5 stars and up. Another product available at Walmart that you may want to check out is Fresh Pet. It’s a refrigerated product that is available in tubs (similar to canned products), nuggets in a pouch and chubs. The price is comparable to most canned foods.

#35963 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Is there a reason you have to buy food at Walmart? Feed Pure Balance if you’d like but it’s a good thing to feed more than one brand, especially that brand in particular since it’s only available at Walmart. Nothing else they sell is worth buying.

#35964 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

HoundDogMom: wow, our Walmart doesn’t carry any of those foods you mentioned.

#35968 Report Abuse
    Sheltie_Pom

Thanks guys. The reason I want to switch to canned is just until he gets his adult teeth, because he literally fried two of his back teeth and it’s painful for him to chew. The reason he fired them was partially my fault and I feel HORRIBLE!! I had a small heat pad in his crate to make sure he didn’t cold or chilled since our house is cooler than what he’s used to. I had the heat pad stuck in the crate and the cord was running out and wedged under the opening gate, I didn’t think he could pull it into his crate but he did and chewed it up. He got electrocuted and I found him in the morning and we rushed him to he vet immediately. He fried his two back teeth and his the part of his tongue by those two teeth and ruined the heat pad in the process, I’m not sure how long he was without the heat pad but he is doing alot better now.

I feel so horrible and I’m blaming myself for this happening, I had thought about him chewing the cord but I wedged it in the door when I closed it and I thought ‘Oh, he won’t be able to pull it out.’ But the little booger did, he had 5 toys, some food, water and chews and he had to go for the heat pad. I just feel so bad for letting it happen, I wonder almost if I should even have him, but my life would be so incomplete without him. I have vowed to NEVER EVER let it (or something similar) happen again (to him or another dog).

#35971 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Unfortunately, with puppies whatever you are trying to prevent is exactly what they will do. A hot water bottle wrapped in a towel may do what you need and would be much safer.

I’m glad your little one is OK.

#35972 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Oh my goodness! Puppies always manage to get their selves in trouble don’t they? Wal-Mart is stocking alot more healthy foods for pets now so you have a pretty good list to look into that are 3.5 – 5 star foods at affordable prices. PB is $1.00 for stews and $1.25 for 95% meat and I believe all others mentioned are between $1.30 – $1.80 each. I am not sure on their price for Freshpet, but that is a 5 star rated food and Wal-Mart’s price was comparible to the price I pay for it at BJ’s. Goodluck!!!!

#35975 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi-
    I’ve been feeding the Pure Balance beef, veges and rice to my dogs as a topper, along with the Kirkland cuts in gravy for some time now. I think it’s a great value. It is only $1 per can and it is full of meat and hardly any rice at all. Although it does say adult on it, so if it is only food feeding, like someone else mentioned you would have to get puppy or all life stages which I believe they also carry. I have also bought Variety and Fresh Pet Select at Walmart in the past. Congrats and good luck. As you are finding out, pups are a lot of work and they will chew and eat anything!

#35984 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

If you’re on a good kibble, maybe you could just soak it for a few minutes in water to soften it up (you can even mush it up). I’ve known many many dogs to get picky when they get canned – then they won’t want to go back to dry once they’re mature.

Be sure that when you switch, do it gradually – mix just a little canned in with the dry at a time.

#36069 Report Abuse
    Sheltie_Pom

Thanks guys. I have been soaking his food in water and mushing it up then mixing it with a bit of canned. I picked up two cans of Pure Balance Chicken and Brown Rice Puppy formula and I have started mixing his food with that.

#36083 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Sheltie Pom:
    Glad you found what you needed for your pup! I have three Wal-Marts in my area and it never fails that the one I happen to be shopping at is always out of one of the Pure Balance varieties I am looking for. And to make it more frustrating for me they don’t offer the site to store ordering option for the Pure Balance canned food. My dog really likes it though, does well on it, and I don’t think he really cares which flavor/variety I am giving him, he just wants his food.

#36615 Report Abuse
    Sheltie_Pom

Thanks everyone. The vet gave me a 5.5 oz can of Science Diet and on the bill it shows that it was $2.20 for that tiny thing and then Ty (My Pom) didn’t even like it so I tossed it out to the other dogs that will eat almost anything.

I have been feeding him Pure Balance Chicken, Vegetables and Brown Rice Puppy and mixing it with his Purina Pro Plan canned that the breeder gave me. He is starting to eat hard kibble again and I think he prefers that so I am going to see if I can slowly move him back over to hard kibble. The breeder was stuck on Pro Plan, but I think it’s a bit over rated and expensive for the quality so I was thinking something along the lines of Purina One Smart Blend or Diamond Naturals.

I don’t know we’ll see. I have 2 $5 dollar off coupons for the Pro Plan so I may use it for my Sheltie and Shiloh my Sheltie pup in particular.

EDIT: I do like the Purina Pro Plan Sport Training Treats. Ty really likes those, but they are a bit expensive.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Sheltie_Pom. Reason: Added more
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.