🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Omayra R

Hello there,

My family has a maltese/yorkie mixed 3 month old puppy. From what I’ve been reading online, it looks like yorkies are prone to liver issues.

I was told Science was the best but then I see on here that it is not. So much conflicting responses.

Idk what yo feed our little angel. 🙁 Please help.

Money isn’t an issue with us. We want the best for him.

#44885 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Some Yorkies are born with a liver shunt, which does mean that they have to watch their diet, but I haven’t heard about them, as a breed, developing liver problems later in life. Toxins contribute to liver disease, so keeping the chemical usage in your home as low as possible would help. Milk thistle is known to help detox and support liver health, but don’t use it for a few days after monthly heartworm prevention. Use heartworm prevention and flea meds as little as possible. Give antioxidants and consider making homemade food, so you know the quality of ingredients that go into it.

#44887 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

You’re right BC nut, people think that yorkies have liver problems because of liver shunts in the breed. I’m pretty sure shunts are genetic. I know I’m always afraid to get a real small yorkie because I’m afraid they might have a liver shunt but terrible breeders try to get them as small as they can because people pay more for these. Makes me sick!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.