šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I have a 5 yr. old yorkie. He’s on canned merrick dog food. My vet says he doesn’t need anything added to his food but I disagree(wish there was a holistic vet near me)I give him fish oil,digestive enzyme because of high lipase,probiotic. I have been reading about coconut oil. Would he benefit from this? What supplements in ur opinion should I give him and how often. I know his food has some supplements but don’t know if they have enough. My vet says when u add to his food it changes the nutritional value. Advice please. U people know more than my vet about nutrition.

#23387 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Are you seeing any problems? I would add a dose of superfoods, and fresh fish oils.

#23391 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

What is a dose of super foods?He has elevated lipase so I’m using the digestive enzyme from mercola that u suggested weeks ago. I also use Nordic natural fish oil everyday.His crystals are gone since I switched to canned an I even add extra water. Water is the key to sturvites.

#23396 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Superfoods are things like kelp, alfalfa, berries. They have nutrients that are not required to be added back to dog food and in fact they are utilized on such a small scale that they aren’t sure how much of what is needed. They are also full of antioxidants.

#23408 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Synthetic supplements (vitamins/minerals) aren’t necessary when feeding a balanced commercial food however things like probiotics, enzymes, essential fatty acids and super foods are always beneficial. I would give coconut oil at the rate of up to 1/2 tsp. per 10 lbs. (you can give less as well). Nature’s Logic makes one of my favorite pre-made whole food supplements, it contains several supper foods (such as kelp and alfalfa) in addition to nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables and probiotics and enzymes. I actually make my own super food supplements, I find it’s cheaper this way. I buy the ingredients I want in large packages from Swanson Vitamins or Starwest Botanicals and combine them. I generally do something like equal parts kelp, spirulina, wheatgrass, alfalfa and bee pollen but I’ll sometimes substitute other ingredients for variety such as chlorella, barley grass, tart cherry, etc. If you use a pre-mixed whole food supplement designed for dogs there will be dosing instructions on the package. For my homemade supplement I usually do around 2 tsp. per dog (my dogs are 68 – 75 lbs.). There’s generally little concern with “overdosing” when feeding whole food supplements – especially if using a variety of ingredients in small doses.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #23415 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I was adding raw fruits and veggies when he was in dry but his PH was8.5 with crystals so I switched to canned and the vet told me not to add to this. His PH is still 8.5 but no crystals.should I try whole food supplements? I want his PH to get lower!

#23657 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Is nature’s logic all food fortifier the same thing as it’s whole food supplement that HDM was talking about? Any other suggestions patty aught?

#23661 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yes, that’s one of the ones that HDM likes. She also suggested 3 from Swansons that were low calcium and whole food based.

#23667 Report Abuse
    theBCnut
    #23668 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Wait are you feeding a homemade diet or canned? I wouldn’t give a multi with a balanced food – I’d do something like the Nature’s Logic. For homemade food, if not balancing with whole foods, I’d use a multi.

#24306 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

He’s on honest kitchen zeal and canned merrick. I have honest kitchen invigor would that work as a wholwe food supplement?

#26203 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

HDM is hk invigor a whole food supplement?

#26219 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

weezerweeks, THK Invigor is a whole food supplement. Other good ones, imho, are Longevity from Springtime, Inc. and Dinovite, and Missing Link, along with Nature’s Logic. Springtime has chewables that I love that are whole food based called Fresh Factors. I’ve used them for years, off and on. Oh, and I forgot another favorite of mine, Wholistic Pet Canine Complete. I order my Wholistic Pet supplements from k9power.com. They have quite a few good whole food supplements on the site.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by Mom2Cavs.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by Mom2Cavs.
    #26227 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

The Honest Kitchen also has Perfect Form. It contains slippery elm which helps sooth the GI tract.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/slippery-elm/

#27155 Report Abuse
    Whitney
    Participant

I want to get my puppy off of Proin. Does anyone know if cornsilk is good? She has spay incontinence.

#28288 Report Abuse
    dogspotindia

Are u seeing any problem with your Dog health if yes than you try any thing else, if no than why are you so worried about your dog diet. Once your vet says that their is no need of anything added to his food.

#28290 Report Abuse
    Spiritpaws

The super green foods are alkalizing, so if your dog’s pH is 8.5 which is extremely alkaline, you would want to add more acid foods: apple cider vinegar, beef, organ meats, salmon, sardines, turkey, flax oil, cheese, blueberries and cranberries (to name a few).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.