šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Patricia
    Participant

Hi:

My JRT/Chi mix had some blood work recently and an elevated ALT showed up. Among other recommendations, my vet asked that I put my dog on a “Low Residue” diet. His recommendation was Royal Canin which from what I’ve read doesn’t seem to be a very high quality food. So, I’m trying to figure out what would consititue a low residue diet … high protein? low protein? Once I know that I can find something that I think would be a better choice for him. Any insights wouuld be much appreciated.

Thanks.

#17860 Report Abuse
    soho

Hi Patricia,

The elevated ALT (alanine aminotransferase) refers to a liver enzyme that along with AST (alkaline phosphatase) is an indicator of liver disease when elevated.

The “Low Residue” diet refers to eating foods that are easily digestible. Fiber is one type of food that is restricted in a low residue diet. It is sometimes recommended for dogs with digestive issues.

#17865 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

How old is your dog? Two of my dogs had an elevated liver enzyme at one check up and then normal the next. It is not just diet that can affect it but also things like medications and pesticides (ingested or topical like heartworm/flea/tick meds) that are filtered through the liver. Ask you vet about milk thistle and have the enzymes rechecked. What are you currently feeding your dog?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.