đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leah D
    Participant

We have a (approx) 2 year old 50 lbs female spayed Foxhound mix named Riley. We adopted her December 2019.

When we first got her from the rescue she was underweight and had no problem eating dry dog food. When she gained a little weight she got fussier, so we stopped feeding her just the dry food and switched to dry mixed with a little bit of wet, but more often then not we’d end up throwing it away because she wouldn’t eat it.

Now we feed her Rachael Ray Nutrish wet food with something mixed in — lean ground turkey, or cooked gizzards usually. But recently she’s become less and less of a good eater, we’ll have to add more mix-ins or warm it up a little in the microwave before she’ll eat. The problem is if she doesn’t eat, especially in the mornings, she always throws up.

So I think it’s time to switch her food. I was thinking Merrick (honestly just because I really like their packaging and marketing of their wet food), which would probably be at the top of our price range, but does anyone have any other recommendations?

As a side note, Riley likes food with a very strong smell—when I make Cesar dressing she licks the anchovy oil from my fingers and ate a piece of blue cheese I dropped on the floor once!

#168007 Report Abuse
    rick M
    Participant

Your dog is kind of different from mine because mine doesn’t chew her food in fact my dog just swallows it whole

#168132 Report Abuse
    rick M
    Participant

Did you try to use dog joint supplements, those are some of the best available on the market.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by rick M.
    #171826 Report Abuse
    Anna L
    Participant

So you can feed her nuts again, my dog is quite picky and I also feed him a moderate amount of nuts and meals at a slightly longer interval, choose fragrant nuts separate.

#171832 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Just be careful of feeding nuts to a dog prone to pancreatitis. A lot of fat in most nuts.
    Nuts Have High Fat Content That Can Cause Pancreatitis
    Symptoms can include decreased or no appetite, vomiting, lethargy, and sometimes diarrhea. Some breeds, like Schnauzers, are prone to this condition, and a high-fat diet in sensitive dogs can sometimes trigger the irritation.
    Could try to add in diet VERY SLOWLY freeze dried food. I prefer Primal. Turkey/Sardine being their favorite. Just add some warm water to rehydrate and it becomes a nutritional meal that most dogs love.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.