Wet/Canned Food for Dog with Cancer and Bladder Stones

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Wet/Canned Food for Dog with Cancer and Bladder Stones

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jen T

Hi, our Westie has been battling TCC (bladder cancer) for almost a year now. Our holistic vet switched her diet to dehydrated raw (Stella & Chewy’s and Primal) which she was doing well on. Recently, she is not interested in any dehydrated food/treats but will eat homemade foods (http://westierescueoc.com/the_westie_diet). We’re not looking to feed her this for long but since she’s been diagnosed with TCC, she’s had issues with crystals and bladder stones as well. Up until last year, she has been the healthiest dog with no issues other than skin allergies.

Does anyone have suggestions on a wet/canned food that is low on carbs for a dog with cancer and who is prone to bladder stones? She doesn’t digest chicken or lamb very well, and has rather soft bowel movements when the protein is too high (from what we’ve seen). It’s been hard trying to get the right food for her due to her soft bowel movements, cancer, and bladder stones. Thank you so much!

#120024 Report Abuse
    Sheila H

So sorry for your trouble. Our dog has long had occasional diarrhea and loose bowel movements, so apart from other ingredient changes to our home cooked food, (protein change from boiled chicken to cottage cheese) I bought “G.I. Balance Digestive Blend Supplement for Dogs and Cats” on Amazon. It is working very well for her. I make a three day (3 meals each) supply for her and add 1/8 tsp to it. She has done quite well since June. Good luck.

#120029 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

Did the vet specify what type of bladder stones, specifically, she is having, as if I recall correctly there are a few different types that require (in some circumstances) different therapies.
    If you’re unsure, ask your vet for more specifics!

#120031 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

Also, I’m no expert but I did give a glance to the (http://westierescueoc.com/the_westie_diet)
    and I would be OK feeding these diets short term but not long term, as there’s no real balance, no calcium, and a lot of stuff is optional so I do think you’re doing a good thing by noticing a not so well balanced long term diet when you see one.
    We wish you and your Westie all the best. I wish I had ideas for canned foods but I don’t. I’m hopeful that some more seasoned members here will add to your thread.
    All my best…!

#120043 Report Abuse
    Sheila H

Acroyali:
    I agree with you. The home cooked diet I use includes potassium chloride and calcium powder with rice and cottage cheese. To that I add the G.I. Balance Digestive Blend Supplement for Dogs and Cats due to her issues.

#120157 Report Abuse
    Jen T

Thanks Sheila for your response and your current routine. Will have to try cottage cheese and see how she does.

Thanks for responding Acroyali. Our vet sent the stones to Minnesota Urolith Center and they came back as Struvite and Osseous material (vet believes it’s from her tumor). The only therapy everyone has suggested (multiple vets as well as Minnesota Urolith Center) is switching her diet to a prescription diet which may not prevent the stones.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.