šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Naturella

Hey, guys!

So, recently (sort of gradually) Bruno’s eyes have become exceptionally watery. Is this a reason for concern? The liquid is clear, his morning eyeboogers are brownish, but don’t seem abnormal. But he gets wet circles under his eyes a few times a day and when I wipe his eyes, there is always kind of a lot of liquid on the tissue.

#63756 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Bumping you up!

#63764 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Does Bruno have allergy issues? Has the wind been blowing a lot? If you peel his eyelid back does the white area show blood vessels in it?

#63782 Report Abuse
    Naturella

C4C, thanks!

BCnut, no known to us allergies, maybe I should get him tested? His food has duck now, which is sort of new for him, idk if that may be it?

Also, no blood vessels showing, and it has been kind of windy here in GA but his eyes water a lot even inside. Another thing, Bruno and the roommate’s dog lick each other’s eyes all the time, maybe they put too much bacteria on each other? And maybe my wiping irritates his eyes more, though I try to be super gentle. Maybe I should just dab the corners of his eyes with a Q-tip and let it suck the moisture like that?

#63805 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It can be that the wind has stirred up dust and it has irritated his eyes. I wouldn’t expect it to be a bacteria problem, if it is clear. It could be the food, but I wouldn’t assume that to be the case unless it stops when you change again or you see something else. Don’t use a q-tip. Use a washcloth. Damp it down and wipe from outside corner to inside corner. Then go back the other way and smooth the hair back down again. If he seems sensitive to light AT ALL, take him in to have his eyes stained, just in case he has scratched his cornea. If it continues for long have him looked at, just in case it’s an inward growing eyelash.

#63832 Report Abuse
    Naturella

BCnut, it may be the wind, but I would have thought that a particle would exit his eyes by now, and it is both of them pretty uniformly watering. It MAY be the food, not sure, we have about 1/3rd bag left of Castor & Pollux Grain Free duck and other meats, and next up is Wysong Quail. We will see if/what changes.

I won’t use a Q-tip then. I have been using soft bathroom tissue so far, but I can switch to washcloths. I usually go from inside corner out, but I will try both ways. So far he hasn’t exhibited light sensitivity, but I will watch for that. And if it persists after we finish the C&P food, I will take him to be checked out. It doesn’t seem to bother him too much, but he does paw at it when it gets really wet, so I try to keep up with the wiping.

#63833 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If it’s the wind, I’m thinking more along the lines of pollen or mold irritation, rather than a particle. That sort of irritation can last for days. If he’s pawing at it, it is irritating him. You might want to get some eye wash and use it.

Why not just seal up the current food and go ahead and change to the next one, then if it clears up, change back again and see if it comes back. That way you will know absolutely that it’s the food, or not.

#63834 Report Abuse
    Naturella

BCnut, I will take you up on the food idea and see how it goes. Also, what are good eye washes? Do I need a dog-specific one? I know nothing about that, but I’d love to try it! I will change his menu up and report in 2-3 weeks about the food, or sooner, if the eye-wash helps. I will try the food change first. Or should I do the eye-wash? Or just do them together?

#66469 Report Abuse
    BeachDogs

That’s been a constant issue with my Yorkie. His vet said it could be clogged tear ducts or the ducts/drain tubes didn’t form correctly. He said the fluid can’t drain and that they can do a procedure to open them up. Hoping it’s an allergy for your pup. I just dampen a cotton pad with warm water, wipe the eye area and let it sit. A few minutes later I can remove the junk easily.

#66474 Report Abuse
    Naturella

BeachDogs, I see. Hm… Well, hope it’s not that with Bruno either, but I have determined (so far) that it must be the wind and/or the dust it brings up, and/or the cold itself, cause the colder and windier it is, the juicier his eyes are… We use a wet washcloth and just clean his eyes up. Usually there is little to no gunk, and if there is any, it is mostly clear.

#66518 Report Abuse
    BeachDogs

That doesn’t sound so bad. Glad you’re isolating the cause. It’s such a good feeling when that happens!

#66523 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hey Naturella. Sweetie, I’m sure it’s the wind. All three girls eyes are watery here and so are mine and hubby’s. It’s been crazy windy as you known. I’ve been keeping the dogs inside more often than not but I know you walk Bruno outside so it’s probably even worse for him walking in the wind. I’m sure when the wind dies down he’ll be just fine. Wednesday and yesterday were crazy windy day weren’t they and today’s not much better. I thought I was going to blow away walking through Publix parking lot last night. I’ve been putting eye drops (not medicinal…just regular type I use on them) in their eyes a couple of times a day just to rinse out anything little particles flying around outside. I’ve been using eye drops in mine also.

#66538 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dori, I totally think it’s the wind! I just can’t with this weather here… Warm, chilly, cold, freezing, freezing, then right back at warm again! Ugh…

And I can get some eye drops too. Like, Visine (regular ones)? Or doggy-specific ones? But wiping his eyes at least gets the water out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.