🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    adi g

Hi, does anyone know if one or more of the brands listed on editor’s choice are vegan or vegetarian? is there somewhere a review about meat free nutrition for dogs?

#76920 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Adi- You won’t find vegan dog foods on the EC list simply because DFA puts a high value on high quantities of meat in dog food because of a dogs carnivorus bias and nature.

You can find reviews for different vegan dog foods like V-Dog however, they will always be low rated because they have no meat content.

While I disagree that dogs should be fed a vegan diet, I will suggest that you could speak with a veterinary nutritionist about vegan dog foods and see if they have any recommendations. Wysong makes a vegan dog food and it is formulated by a vet named Dr. Randy Wysong. I happen to really like his products and if I was completely backed into a corner with my dog and he had to be fed vegan thats probably the food I’d use.

#76926 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Adi,

I just searched on Pubmed and this is a recent publication looking at vegetarian diets for dogs and cats.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26225610

If you have a vet that is a member of AVMA you could ask him/her to get the article for you vs paying for it. Maybe it would be of help.

I’d approach vegetarian diets as I would any other diet. Who formulated the diet and what are their credentials. Is there a veterinary nutritionist on staff? Dose the company do feeding trials? What quality control measures are in place. etc.

You can find information on how to pick a diet here: http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/Recommendations%20on%20Selecting%20Pet%20Foods.pdf

#77044 Report Abuse
    adi g

Thank you guys. I have found a review of Natural Balance Vegetarian dray food
    /dog-food-reviews/natural-balance-vegetarian-dog-food-dry/
    Although it was given only 2 stars, i’m gonna give it a chance and hopefully soon the editor will discover the benefits of vegetarian/ vegan food for some dogs and give us a fair review of the options out there 🙂

#77045 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Glad you found something. Personally I would not use Natural Balance. It’s now owned by Smucker’s (yes the people who make jam). I would worry about quality control issues and possible recalls. You are more than welcome to give it a shot, I just think there are probably better vegan foods out there.

A lot of people like V-Dog and as I said I would use Wysong Vegan if I had to.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.