šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dawne
    Participant

My boy is an adult, male, very small ( 11 lbs.) Bichon Frise. He was diagnosed with stress colitis a few weeks ago. He has been eating Purina EN Gastroenteric kibble that the Vet suggested and is doing well on it. Which kind of scares me. Not thrilled about it being Purina. He was eating Blue Buffalo small bites with a bit of Nutro Natural Choice Wet food added. That mix took me 5 yrs. to figure out. ( he is a very finicky eater) Sometimes boiled chicken. He seems to like the Purina okay. Not sure if he likes it or is just super hungry since I no longer give him treats. Since I continually train my boy, I was wondering if anyone knew of a very small training treat that would be gentle on his stomach. He loved Zukes and Bill Jack treats. I honestly think it was the Bill Jack treats that disturbed his stomach. Sometimes during training you forget how small little dogs digestive systems and stomachs are. I have found Nutro Natural Choice Sensitive Stomach Biscuts. My boy likes them but they are so large hence not conducive to training. Thanks!

#25691 Report Abuse
    lilyh

I use boiled chicken cut up into teeny tiny pieces for training.

#25732 Report Abuse
    dawne
    Participant

lilyh – I agree that boiled chicken is a great idea. I’m hoping to find a dry treat than I can place a handful of in my pocket. I take every opportunity to train and do so while we walk too. I’m definitely going to give this a try though. Thanks!

#25734 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Vital Essentials makes a freeze dried dog food that mine go crazy for. I use it as training treats. The chicken variety has chicken, chicken bones, and chicken organs in it. The beef has beef, beef bones, and beef organs in it. And the turkey has turkey, turkey bones, and turkey organs in it. They are dry like a kibble, but not as oily. I love it! On Fridays, we do agility and my dogs get about a whole meals worth of treats, but they have never even had a loose stool from it. And because it was meant to be a stand alone dog food, I don’t worry about unbalancing my dogs diet.

#25736 Report Abuse
    dawne
    Participant

Pattyvaughn – Vital Essentials sounds like something I really need to check out. Thanks so much.

#26169 Report Abuse
    Sallynova
    Participant

Dogs For The Earth Dehydrated Dog Food – if you buy the large bad and break off bits of the biscuits for treats. My dogs love this stuff and so do all my friends dogs and it is super healthy. They have I think 4 flavors and a couple different treats and my dogs go crazy any time they see their food packets. I know it’s all organic and they use human grade food and its grain free and its super healthy. I wish more people knew about this food because it has helped a lot of dogs with allergies and skin problems too. Best thing is to look on their site http://www.dogsfortheearth.com there’s so much information and it is owned by an animal nutritionist and they ship it everywhere. You can get it on amazon too but we get regular deliveries every 2 weeks. We love this food and try to tell everyone. I think your Little Bichon will love it too!

#26452 Report Abuse
    dawne
    Participant

Just wanted to let everyone know that I found PureBites freeze dried treats/food. So far he’s loving them! I feel great knowing that his tummy won’t suffer and they are very low in calories.

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions.

#26454 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Stella & Chewy’s makes small freeze dried treats as well (Carnivore Crunch and Carnivore Kisses). Fresh is Best has plain meat treats as well. http://www.freshisbest.com/products/pet-treats-chews

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.