The best Liver Diet Dog Food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition The best Liver Diet Dog Food

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sheila A

My Bedlington Terrier has just been diagnosed with a decrease in liver function. she will be having a liver biopsy next week.

However, as much as I read the internet I have not found a good solution on what to feed her. For example how much protein and how much fat or a ration????

Until recently I had been feeding her Orjen dry kibble and Wellness Shredded chicken pouches.

And to add to that she is an extremely picky eater.

Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

Sheila

#108406 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Stop reading on the internet and ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary nutritionist.
    Otherwise I would suggest prescription food/therapeutic diet as I assume your vet has recommended.

#108407 Report Abuse
    Sheila A

Yes, our Vet has recommended Hill’s LD …. but our sweet girl refuses to eat it…

#108408 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Pour a little bit of plain chicken broth (no onion) over it.
    Try canned and kibble.
    Feed meals twice a day (or whatever your vet recommends) pick up if she shows no interest after 10 minutes, store in the fridg and offer at the next meal time.
    It’s okay if she skips a meal or two as long as she is drinking water. If she goes 72 hours without eating solid food I would call the vet (something else may be going on).
    Try to wait her out, it’s not mean. Most dogs will only skip about 2 meals.
    PS: Poor appetite, nausea could be a symptom of liver disease. Talk to your vet about meds that may help.

#108415 Report Abuse
    Jenna

i am sorry to hear about your pup. I don’t think you have enough information as this point. Generally speaking liver diets are reduced protein, but Beddlingtons are prone to copper storage issues, and often a reduction of copper helps. “In many cases, elevation of liver enzymes alone does not warrant a dietary change. In some instances, if the liver enzymes are consistently elevated, the pet may benefit from supplemental antioxidants. Liver cells may be partially protected from further damage when additional antioxidant precursors or antioxidants beyond those found in the diet are given. Some veterinary nutritionists and veterinarians recommend supplementation with Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Sadenosyl-
    methionine (SAMe) and/or silymarin (Milk Thistle), but it is important to note that the
    exact mechanism of action, dosing and efficacy of these supplements are still under
    investigation.” http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/small_animal/nutrition/client_info_sheets/encephalopathy.cfm
    This is really a conversation with your vet, based on the diagnosis.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.