🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Naturella

Hey, all…

We have been trying Bruno outside of the bathroom and letting him roam the apartment freely, and sometimes he is good, sometimes not. Well, today he had knocked over our trash can while we were gone and was licking at a chocolate wrapper when our roommate found, disciplined, and put him in the bathroom where we used to keep him while away. Issue is, I had left a small bowl of a homemade sugar-and-coconut-oil body scrub, with about 1/8th cup of sugar and some coconut oil in it that he had found and cleared UP.

I know coconut oil is fine, but sugar is not, so… what do we do/expect? It is now 12.30am, and this must have happened around 4pm or so. Bruno is 13lbs. Does he need a vet visit?

#35079 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Honestly, I wouldn’t get too concerned. Just keep an eye on him, and if he acts weird then go ahead and take him in. I never give my dogs sugar, but I honestly don’t think a couple tablespoons would /kill/ a dog, as they make TONS of dog treats w sugar (it really annoys me – why the heck do they make strawberry and peanut butter flavored dog treats, complete w a sugary cream filling that smells good enough for me to eat? Dogs seriously have different tastes than people, ugh.) and I know many dogs who eat them daily and are still alive.

I’ll be perfectly honest though, I really don’t know what sugar does that’s hazardous to their health (other than the horrid breath lol).

#35080 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Thank you, Shasta!

He was completely normal yesterday, no vomiting or anything of the sort, and no hyperness – he was actually pretty calm and lazy-like for his usual terriery self. But, he did refuse to eat his kibble. As I have been adding goodies to it, he only slurped up the egg with ground flax seed from lunch and the yoghurt from the dinner. His only real meal he had was his breakfast kibble with something, probably pumpkin. I thought he was being spoiled by the additives and becoming picky, but I think it was the sugar that he was probably still craving or something…

He has been eating normally today, especially since I added a free sample of Nature’s Variety Instinct GF to his usual mix – he loved it. I have a few more samples to add and will definitely include this food in his rotation.

And a big YAY for free samples – I found this other pet boutique nearby that has free samples of almost everything, and, my favorites so far, Nature’s Variety Instinct GF and Victor GF. This store is my new addiction, lol.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Naturella.
    #35082 Report Abuse
    dogspotindia

Hey their is misconception about that sugar is harm full for dogs health but the realty is that when the dogs eat the sugar/sweet and lick the injury or any place of his body than there is the chances of bacteria infection is increased thats all. Just clean his face and jaws and give some water.

#35141 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dogspotindia,

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, he has been having water and eating just fine so I think he should be alright!

#35153 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Glad to hear he’s still doing fine 🙂 I don’t get concerned whenever my dogs get into something sweet, and they’ve even consumed small amounts of chocolate accidentally without any side effects. I wouldn’t get concerned until he eats a vast amount of sugar (like he gets into a whole box of cookies or something).

Best wishes! Hope you survive the “loss” of an hour’s sleep this Spring Forward xP I barely manage every year!

#35165 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Thank you, Shasta! And yeah, even Bruno has eaten a chocolate chip once and survived, lol, so he should be fine! Thank you for the support and responses though!

And, dang, is that tonight? 🙁 I don’t like this time of year… Sleep is a precious commodity I need more, not less of… Sigh…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.