šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gmcwy
    Participant

My dog was recently diagnosed with stomach ulcers and is refusing to eat the sensitive digestive dog food my vet suggested. She is now on famotidine but is losing weight because she will only eat enough to curb her hunger. She is currently on Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and stomach dog food. I think its the fish she isn’t fond of. Has anyone had luck with any other sensitive stomach foods?

#23363 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

There are lots of other foods available for sensitive stomachs. Like sandy said I would try to find a holistic vet and work with them. I would check out this sites list of hypo allergenic foods and start there. However, with a dog with stomach ulcers, it might be better to feed a homemade diet or canned food. Just remember, if you use a homemade diet to work with a nutritionist to get the right balance of nutrients.

#23365 Report Abuse
    Gmcwy
    Participant

I live in Wyoming and there are no holistic vets without driving 4 hours to Fort Collins, if there is one there. I had her on a Raw diet which she did fantastic on but I can’t feed her anything with hormones so it was horribly difficult to get enough wild game and free range without going broke. I think I’m going to try the Avoderm Lamb and rice, it has a 4.5 rating on here and is designed for sensitive stomachs. And I have learned the importance of finding a high quality breeder sigh…

#23366 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I understand, I drive 45-60 mins. to my holistic vet. It took years to finally decide to “bite the bullet” and go. I’m glad I did, but it’s a lot closer distance than you have. Even though I LOVE them, sometimes I just wish they were closer, especially for the emergencies. When I have one, thankfully isn’t often, I go to the local Med Vet, which is just 15-20 mins. away. It’s always so hard when you have a dog with a compromised digestive system. I feel for you, for sure.

#23443 Report Abuse
    Gmcwy
    Participant

A new vet opened last month about a 10 minute drive from my country home and i did a bit of research. They are a holistic Vet!! I’m excited.

#23451 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Wow…that’s awesome. I’m sure you’ll check them out. Let us know how it goes.

#23472 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Here is a vet that does phone consultations. I’m sure there are others out there but I wanted to mention her since she just came down to Texas for a week long visit doing housecalls. She’s really good and knows homeopathics and herbs. I found her through my local raw feeding group.

Consultations

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.