Stella at Bridge

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Stella at Bridge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mom2Cavs

Hi all. I just wanted everyone to know that my oldest Cavalier, Stella (blenheim) who would’ve turned 12 yrs. on Feb. 23, went to the Rainbow Bridge last night. She had begun to have seizures a little over a week ago. They became to close together and she couldn’t use her legs anymore. We made the decision and she went to sleep in my arms last night. I will miss her greatly. I know she is not suffering now, but it’s still hard as she was a family member. She was the best dog in the world, very special, and I’ll always love her.

#12136 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear about Stella. Bless her sweet little heart. : ‘ (

#12137 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Thank you, Betsy. With a Cavalier of your own, I’m sure you understand the hurt….of course, losing any loving dog hurts. Stella had Syringo Myelia (SM). She was on meds for it, but it seemed to be just too much for her in the end. She was such a special dog!

#12138 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Jan,

I recall your recently mentioning that she was on medication. She hadn’t been medicated for very long, had she? I was familiar with the condition only after coming across it shortly after I got my Bella. I was in tears watching YouTube videos that people had posted about it.

Having held my black lab in my arms when she went to sleep was so incredibly painful that it was nine long years later before I decided to get another dog. Cavaliers are just the sweetest ~ you know that though ~ it would be unbearable to watch her suffer.

I’m so sad for you today.

#12139 Report Abuse

Jan-

My deepest sympathies are with you. Having recently lost one myself, I know its not easy to go through. Hugs to you and yours and know that you made the decision that was best for her-

Melissa

#12142 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Thanks Melissa and Betsy…..your thoughts are appreciated more than you know.

#12143 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Betsy….Stella had mild symptoms for some years but all of a sudden they increased to the point of needing meds. They did help her, but the seizures just came on (my breeder that I adopted her from said SM can end up with seizures) kinda sudden. They also increased in duration quickly with a slow recovery time between. That, and her age, is why we decided to send her on to the Bridge. It’s always the hardest decision, but she is not suffering now. Thanks for your comments.

#12144 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Jan –

I’m so sorry to hear about your Stella. Losing a best friend is rough. My condolences. 🙁

#12146 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Melissa, I’m so sorry for your loss, too.

#12156 Report Abuse
    billhill
    Participant

Dear Mom2cavs

I’m sorry for your loss. Most of my best friends have been of the 4 legged variety. Try to make it up in love to the dogs who remain.

Bill

#12159 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Dear Jan,

May the treasured memories of the life you shared with Stella help ease the sadness you must now feel. With deepest sympathy; I’m so sorry for your loss.
    aimee

#12160 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Thanks, everyone. Your comments are so appreciated. I know you all understand the loss of a pet (a family member). It’s the other dogs that are helping me get through my grief for Stella girl.

#12178 Report Abuse

Dear Jan,

I just heard about your sweet Stella. And I know I speak for many others when I say how sorry I am for your loss. Please know we’re all here for you. And I’m so happy you have the rest of your family (pets and people) to help get you through this difficult time.

#12180 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Thanks Dr. Mike! It’s kinda sad and weird around here right now and my family (human and canine) is helping with my grief. I took the other 2 Cavs on an outing today and we had a good time. I find that I keep looking for Stella in various places at home, though, and it just makes me tear up. We will always remember her and love her! Everyone has been so kind, it is very appreciated.

#12193 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Jan, I’m two days late but I am so very sorry for your loss. Run free Stella, you were very much loved

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.