šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BeachBumBernice
    Participant

My dog’s latest checkup showed her sodium levels were elevated which the vet said could lead to kidney problems. We currently feed her Origen. Does anyone know of a high quality low sodium dog food and/or treats?

#14808 Report Abuse
    soho

Hi Bernice,

I make jerky treats for dogs and cats and they have less than 100 milligrams of salt per ounce. Please check them out if you’d like.

/forums/topic/homemade-chicken-and-fish-jerky/

#14817 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi BeachBumBernice –

I have never come across a comprehensive list of high quality, low sodium dog foods. You’re going to need to talk with your vet about what the minimum and maximum levels of sodium your dog should have each day are based on her condition. Your best option would be to formulate a balanced homemade diet so you are in complete control of sodium levels. Your next best option would be to start calling companies that manufacture quality foods you’d be interested in and ask for the sodium levels in their food – typically companies don’t disclose this information on packaging or their website so the only way to find out is to call. I’m going to assume you’ll probably be looking for a food with around 0.06% – 0.30% sodium as these are the minimum levels permissible by the AAFCO for maintenance and growth, respectively.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.