šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Paola G

Hi, I have a 10lb Rat Terrier that I adopted from ASPCA at 2 years old, she is now 7. I had her on IAMS ProActive Health, that was the food she was on at the pound, for about 3 years after I got her and never had any issues. Then one day I decided to change her to better quality food and she was doing well until 8 months ago when she started having these small bumps on her skin on the back that would become dandruff and were very smelly,no flea/tick bites. Then eventually the flakes/dandruff stopped but she now has these red spots on her belly and on her “armpit” that look very dry and itchy and she still smells. Took her to the vet who put her on Hills Prescription Diet for two weeks, gave her a cortizone shot and changed her shampoo to a prescription one, she got a little better but the rash did not go away. I’m keeping her on Hills Grain Free food and I’ve been changing her food for the past few months to no avail. Her demeanor/energy level never changed and her appetite hasn’t changed either. The groomer suggested the I give her Benadryl but I don’t want her to be groggy. Does any one have any idea what this could be? Thank you!

#36825 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I don’t know too much about allergies, but I honestly don’t recommend Hills at all. It sounds like it’s probably some sort of food allergy. Dogs can get sensitive to the most inconvenient things like chicken, rice, potatoes, tomatoes, etc. I wonder if getting an allergy test or doing an elimination diet might help?

If the allergies at all seem seasonal, then there’s the slight chance that honey might help. It has to be raw and local, add a spoonful to her meal every day. It’ll probably only help if they /are/ seasonal allergies, but I’ve known people who had dogs with disgusting skin, and had miracle transformation after being on that!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.