đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christina T

I need a list of quality, affordable senior foods and am incredibly overwhelmed. I trust THIS site. Can someone recommend a reputable site since this one doesn’t list senior foods?

#131734 Report Abuse
    Sanne

I don’t know about sites as I do not follow what any ratings say, that is just not how I choose my dog food.

Everyone has different budgets so it is hard for me to say what is affordable without knowing yours. An adult food could work for your dog though. Seniors don’t really have special dietary needs. Some less active ones could do with less fat and calories but there are also adult foods that are not high in those. Glucosamine and Chondroitin added to most senior foods is pretty useless. The amount the dog would have to eat just to get a reasonable amount is ridiculously high.

That said, Victor Senior is IMO a pretty affordable food with a good nutrition analysis. Good level of protein for a senior, lower fat without being too low (not enough could cause skin problems), phosphorus and sodium levels are good, good amount of L-Carnitine, and calories are quite low.

#131735 Report Abuse
    Christina T

My budget is a little lower (teacher salary) than I like so thank you for that. I have been looking for a food with glucosamine and chondroitin because I didn’t know about the food levels being too low. I’m ordering that separately. I haven’t heard of Victor Senior. I’m learning a lot from you! Still overwhelmed and not sure why this site doesn’t list for seniors unless it IS because, as you say, they don’t require it. You are MUCH appreciated. I’ll check out Victor Senior, too.

#131737 Report Abuse
    Sanne

No problem! Yes adding those separately is a great idea. It really is quite overwhelming as there are hundreds of brands out there, some offer senior foods, some do not. Currently, there are no requirements that a food has to meet in order to be labeled a senior food. You will see all senior formulas will say something along the lines of “formulated to meet all the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO for adult maintenance”. That is the exact same thing an adult food will say. It may say for All Life Stages in place of Maintenance which means it also meets the minimum requirements for puppies.

There are established requirements for puppies and adults but not seniors so feel free to use an adult food or all life stages food. What I typically look for for my older dog is 25-30% protein, 10-16% fat, 3-6% fiber, phosphorus preferably no higher than 1.5%, sodium around 0.3% no higher than 0.4%. These are just some levels I find works for my older dog and the levels I have talked over with my vet. These protein, fat and fiber levels are just what works personally for my dog, yours may need higher or lower.

The reason I do not like to see high phosphorus for an older dog is because it can be hard on the kidneys and it is not exactly rare for older dog’s kidney health to decline. I stick to foods that do not have too high of sodium to keep the heart healthy as heart health also often declines with age. My dog now has a murmur so I am careful about that.

And I am rambling lol hopefully that little guideline will help you find something suitable for your dog that is reasonably priced. I find having an idea in mind on what to look for in a food can help narrow down all the options

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.