šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gerritt A

I joined looking for some advice on senior dog foods. Our senior is about 12 – 13 years young and is a 14 lbs poodle/bichon mix – or something thereabouts. She is used to walking 3 – 5 miles per day and is out in front, not being pulled along so she seems to be enjoying it. She was eating a dry Wellness adult dry and wet mixture. Vet suggested she get on a senior diet and we did this about six months ago – again Wellness. Since then she has had two UTI’s. Urine pH was 8.5 on the current one. Vet was concerned that we were perhaps not getting a good urine sample so we had some draw from he bladder and it was consistent with the “caught” urine. Also had her bladder ultrasound to check for stones or a tumor. Nothing (good news!) Granted this is my first day of looking around on the site but i see nothing specific about selecting a senior food. Did I miss it?

#94739 Report Abuse
    elaine c

check out Answers get food… seems like your dog food now is too high in carbs.. this food is extraordinary.I would recommend it for everyone’s dog.

#94745 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I personally don’t like senior food. Senior dogs need good quality high protein and just about all of them are too low in protein. Orijen is the exception but if you’re in the US. They opened a plant in Kentucky and there seem to be some problems.

If this was my dog, I’d go back to what she ate before, water the food & see how it goes.
    Good luck!

#94746 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Increase moisture intake, allow to urinate as much as possible. Fast track is to switch to grain free canned food only (for as long as you can) and low sodium broths between meals. Add some flavor to water bowls. Make popsicles. ZiwiPeak and Lotus make superb wet food; worth the cost since high ph can lead to many more complications.

#94765 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Senior foods are actually not a recognized label according to AAFCO. A food can be for adult maintenance or growth and reproduction. The majority of senior foods are made to have less protein and fat and calories and may contain joint supplements. That being said, healthy seniors don’t require less protein and thus increased carbs. They actually benefit from increased quality protein and quality fats. And a serving of a food with joint supplements would not have a therapeutic dose. You’re better off giving a separate joint supplement. If your senior was doing fine on her previous food regimen, you could go back to it.

#94780 Report Abuse
    Christine W

I have my adult Pug on Wellness low fat food.She has done well with it,still needs to lose a pound,but runs with my other pug no problem.
    The one thing that stood out to me,is has your vet thought Lyme? i know that they usually check it if a dog is having bladder issues,and since her ultrasound was normal,i’d mention it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.