šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Octopus B
    Participant

We are looking for food recommendations for a 2 year old mixed breed indoor dog. Her overall activity level is low to medium – both of her owners work during the day but she is walked 2-3 times per week and is relatively active indoors (playing with toys, chasing balls, etc.) She does not attend Agility or any high-activity sports.

Our primary focus is her anal gland issues – she will begin licking herself consistently and will emit a foul smell if she has not been expressed in a few weeks. Our vet suggested that this was due to a lack of grains in her diet and suggested a grain-inclusive meal. The vet did not specify which type of grains were needed and if gluten was a good or bad ingredient.

She was eating Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken dry food (1/2 cup twice daily). She would also receive supplementary meals of Solid Gold wet food (an assorted variety) replacing a meal about 3-4 times per week. We have since replaced the Solid Gold dry food with Lotus oven-baked chicken small bite food, which contains grains. She still receives the Solid Gold wet foods, which are grain-free.

Her daily treats include CET veggie-dent dental sticks, Tartar Shield sticks, and dried sweet potatoes. She also occasionally eats (organic, whole) dried fish, chicken necks, and other rare treats from our local pet shop.

Her breed info is as follows:

21.6% Chihuahua
    12.9% German Shepherd Dog
    12.5% Chow Chow
    9.7% Australian Cattle Dog
    9.0% American Eskimo Dog
    4.9% Rottweiler
    29.4% Supermutt

#153597 Report Abuse
    Kathryn D
    Participant

Does your dog have soft stools or are they firm? I know you said your Vet suggested you feed her a grain inclusive food, but I believe Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken dry food which you said you were feeding her, is grain inclusive. You also mentioned you were feeding wet food, which I know if I give any of my dogs just a small amount on their kibbles, my Pug who had anal gland problems in the past would have soft stools. I know longer let him have any.
    Anyways, usually it is high fiber diet that you want when a dog is suffering from anal gland issues. Earthborn has a grain inclusive food with 8.5% to 10% fiber depending what protein source you choose. It is their Unrefined Ancient Grains and Superfood line. I personally have not tried this dog food, but a friend has and her dog is doing well on it. It comes in turkey, rabbit, salmon, and I think they recently came out with lamb. If you do switch to any dog food, it must be done slowly to avoid any gastric upset. Maybe call your Vet and ask him/her about the fiber.

#153598 Report Abuse
    Kathryn D
    Participant

I forgot to mention, the Lotus oven-baked chicken small bite food that you switched her to has 3% Crude Fiber and the Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken dry food she was on had 4% Crude Fiber and is a grain inclusive food.

#153599 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Hund and flocken is a grain in food. Did your vet explain how more grains would help her anal gland issues? Iā€™ve never heard of such a thing. Sometimes dogs just need help expressing their glans. A groomer or a vet can do this.

My friend has a shepherd whom has the same issue. Sheā€™s been giving her dog a table spoon of pumpkin at each mean for a few months now and she says the dogs anal gland issues have all but dissipated. So maybe try upping her fiber intake with some plain canned pumpkin.

#153604 Report Abuse
    Kathryn D
    Participant

Octopus B, I think I know why your Vet said grain inclusive. Since whole grains are unprocessed, they are a great source of fiber and nutrients.

#153612 Report Abuse
    Birdie30
    Participant

Octopus B –
    You mentioned that your dog already gets chicken necks? If you happen to only give her one, can you increase that to 2 (given that she’s over 35lbs)? Or one every day?

I ask because I always found that anal gland issues involve the dog not being able to express them naturally because the stool is usually too soft. My dog had to get her glands expressed once a month, and if I’d know to give her foods that would produce firmer stools, I wouldn’t have wasted so much money getting them expressed at the vet’s!

Since I’ve switched my dog over to raw this past year, her poop is way firmer, and I know this is gonna sound so gross, but I can actually SEE the gland fluid dripping as she goes…not always, but occasionally. It’s a few drops, and then her actual poop. Also, no more butt scoots as well.

You can try other foods first or try what your vet recommended, but really, I think it’s a matter of firming up the stool so that the glands express naturally. Pumpkin, owelo carrots, and raw meaty bones help firm up poop.

And lastly, giving the chicken necks works as a natural toothbrush for dogs – if you give necks often, you may not need to give her the CET treats, which have ingredients that look a little ugh, IMO.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Birdie30.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.