šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kathy J

Re: 9 year old lab/keeshond mix. This years summer scratching was worse than ever and turned into hot spots. Benadryl not much help. Then vomiting started. We discovered tapeworms, made our visit to vet and treated her for that, being careful not to med near feeding time so she wouldn’t lose the dose if she vomited. Weren’t able to finish antibiotics for hot spots because of the frequent vomiting, but wounds are healing nicely. Switched to home cooked rice and chicken a week ago and no more vomiting, no more scratching, healing and well. Tried to gradually add dry food back in the other night – maybe 20 kibbles in with chicken & rice and she threw up a little and showed signs of itching for the first time in days. Stuck on chicken and rice, but not sure that that is nutritionally sound for long term and not sure how to get her back on a regular diet – can they develop food allergy later in life and what should I do to figure out what brand to try? Could really use some advice. Thanks.

#51324 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Chicken and rice are both high allergen foods. I’d suggest a grainfree food and I’d probably try a fish based food to start. Nutri Source is said to be good for dogs with sensitive tummies. Might be worth a try.

#51334 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Kathy, sounds like she has a few things all going on at once, if she is vomiting the kibble, stop feeding the kibble.. try wet tin food instead, if you dont want to cook her meals, or do both cooked for dinner & wet tin for breakfast… Kibble is the hardest to digest, sometimes they need a few months for their stomach to get better & heal…
    When Patch was real sick with Pancreatitis, he kept vomiting up his kibble, vet said just feed him boiled chicken & a bit of boiled pumkin, I said but what about the vitamins, the vet said, dont worry about that yet, we have to get him better first, then after eating the chicken & pumkin for about 2-3 months, I started him on the Wellness Simple Duck & Oatmeal, it digest easy, there’s also the Lamb & Oatmeal, Wellness Simple is for skin problems & digestion problems, I soak the kibble in water for 2-3 mins to soften a little then I drain water then put drained kibble on a paper towel & pat dry, but if Patch could tolarate the fat in wet tin foods I’d be giving him wet tin food instead of kibble, just look at the fat% in the wet tin food & try & get one thats around 2%-3% fat as high fat can cause sloppy poo & put on weight being an Lab, she’ll get there, she is 9, she needs a bit of home cooked meals even if you add a bit of boiled pumkin, potato, carrot & make small meals & freeze them for her…

#51336 Report Abuse
    Kathy J

Thank you. What a relief. If I have to cook for some time then that’s what I’ll do – she’s definitely keeping it down, recovering, getting a little spunk back and even reminded me it was time to eat tonight which I haven’t seen in a couple weeks. Before you know it she’ll probably be back to trying to fool us into a second dinner. As long as she’s doing good I won’t worry about the bland diet and we’ll go at her pace I guess. I am surprised about the potato though – I thought I was told once that potato was no good for them. Man, she going to get so spoiled :), but she’s worth it. Can’t wait to see what she thinks of pumpkin. In the meantime I’ll check out the canned options and Wellness and fish based stuff too a while and see if I can come up with a plan for what we’ll try when we want to start weaning her over. Thanks again.

#51338 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Kathy,

It sounds like you don’t mind cooking for your dog, which is great! It sounds like the home prepared meals are working for her also. Balanced, home cooked meals are superior to kibble or canned food. Maybe take a look at Steve Brown’s book, Unlocking The Canine Ancestral Diet or Dr. Karen Becker’s book, Real Food For Healthy Dogs And Cats. Either, or both, would be great resources.

#51353 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Kathy, I forget itchy skin, yes Potatos are a high carb & can cause itch, see how she goes with the potato, as alot of the kibbles have potato now & the Wellness Simple has their Potato & Salmon, Turkey & Potato & they’re suppost to be for skin/stomach problems, but Potato makes my boy itch with his skin allergies, thats why I got the Duck & Oatmeal, & Lamb & Oatmeal kibble as it has no Pototes but all dogs are different… maybe try sweet potato first…you’ll see, as soon as Patch eats something that doesn’t agree with him he starts his scratching & gets his hive lumps all over his head & body…
    like 4FootedFoodie said there’s alot of good dog diet books, also Lew Olson has a book called “Raw & Natural Nutrition for dogs” it has cooked meals for certain illnesses, its an excellent book & easy recipes & what vitamins to add, like grounded up egg shell for their calcuim…its only $12.80 on Amazon…in the end home cooked ends up being cheaper & healthier & ur dog will be happier…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.