šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Debbie G

After reading Dogfoodadvisor, I now have my 11 yr old 91 lb lab on Orijen senior food and my 12 week old 15 lb puppy (have no idea what breed) on the Orijen puppy food. I was in a pet store and the were trying sell me on feeding them raw food and said that dry kibble is hard on the dog’s kidneys and actually worse for their teeth since the starch turns to sugar on their teeth and that’s what creates plaque! Since I wasn’t sold on switching food brands again, they convinced me to buy a carton of raw goat’s milk to add to their dry food. They said dry food should be soaked in a liquid (even if it’s only water) because then it’ll expand the food before the dogs ingest it. I saw that the Orijen dry food didnt expand at all (which I’m thinking is good?) I’t’s expensive and I want to know if this is just a new thing to sell to customers.

#86188 Report Abuse
    Michael C

I have read a few articles saying dry food is harmful to your pet (whether dog or cat) and recommend adding moisture to it of some type. I have never heard about goat’s milk. I use some unsalted chicken cooking stock (Swanson’s) with water (about 3 parts water to 1 part chicken stock). I think dry dog food is hard on the kidneys if it doesn’t have any added moisture. A dry dog food with a higher carb content than Orijen would probably swell up with added moisture, so perhaps the pet food store was not familiar with Orijen. Here’s an article I just received today that talks about the dangers of dry dog food without any added moisture. http://products.mercola.com/healthypets/bladder-health-for-pets/?utm_source=petsnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20160512Z1&et_cid=DM105047&et_rid=1479439814

#86249 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

You do not add any liquid to any kibble as a softening agent. It may cause bloat which can be fatal. Tell that store to stop giving out dangerous tips just to sound knowledgeable and elevate sales.

#86255 Report Abuse
    Sherry A

We learned from a researcher that Goats milk was good for dogs with diabetes, ibs, and other type of diseases. We started using it, and found remarkable difference. Our dog had allergies, and his hair was falling out. The goat’s milk helped with the yeast infection type in the colon and skin. it worked.

#86531 Report Abuse
    Debbie G

thanks for taking the time to answer my question. After I posted this, my puppy had a vet appt and I asked my vet. She said he didn’t need raw goat’s milk, she had never heard of this and to save my $$.

#86885 Report Abuse
    Mick M

I thought about adding Colostrum to my 8 month old GSD. She has been having trouble with stools and allergies. Has anyone used it. I’m feeding brothers complete. I’ve tried orijen,acana singles,nutrisource and fromms. It’s been hard to find a good food that helps her with normal stools.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.