šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cdubau
    Participant

Just got a puppy from the pound. Vet says its not mange and believes its was either the outside environment she was in or the food (probably human scraps) that caused her skin to be irritated. She is on benedryl and that has helped the redness but she still itches and cries when itching. She scratches her front elbows a lot, chews her back paws a lot. Her stomach is dried out and scaley as well as her front elbows.

I considered coconut oil topically to help soothe the dry/scaley stuff?

#66242 Report Abuse
    Hanna J

Try adding some fish oil to her diet. The Omega 3s are good for inflammation. I’ve got a foster puppy with some skin issues and a fish oil pill a day has helped a lot. I’d also try a single protein L.I.D. like Nature’s Variety rabbit meal kibble, which can be given to puppies.

#66247 Report Abuse
    Naturella

cdubau, coconut oil both topically and internally will help a lot! Make sure to use the unrefined, raw, cold-pressed stuff! Costco has a 54-oz jar for $17, great stuff and a great deal! I also second the fish oil as well – maybe you can alternate – one day give fish oil, the next – coconut oil. I think the coconut oil amount was 1 tsp/10 lbs of body weight, not sure about the fish oil.

And trying a novel protein, as Hanna suggested, may help too. Just make sure to transition her slowly – over at least a week – from what she’s currently eating to a new LID food. You can add some canned plain pumpkin (not the pie filling stuff) or plain yoghurt/kefir, or probiotics/digestive enzymes to aide her digestion during the transition.

#66249 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Since you mentioned mange. you can find information here. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=616

“Mites prefer hairless skin and thus the ear flaps, elbows and abdomen are at highest risk for the red, scaly itchy skin that characterizes sarcoptic mange.”

#66578 Report Abuse
    cdubau
    Participant

Aimee….you were right! I took her in wednesday AM. Before I even read your post I knew she had it because we started having BITES! So now Banfield is paying to treat all our animals as we had her in quarantine but weren’t changing clothes between her and our established pups.

#67289 Report Abuse
    Susan M

It could be a yeast problem as well so maybe pick the food that doesn’t have grains or potatoes. My Weim has terrible skin problems and she gets really easy so I have her on a green free and potato free food.

#67290 Report Abuse
    Susan M

I add virgin coconut oil to their food and apple cider vinegar.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.