puppy vs adult food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition puppy vs adult food

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Denise W

6 month black lab…vet just advised us to transition her to adult food. She said she no longer needs that amount of calories due to her being a house pet. Her normal food is Merrick grain free puppy, with some Wellness Puppy wet food. We are feeding at recommended on the bag (4 cups daily), she weighs 49 pounds. Suggestions please, or a shove in the direction to find more info….

#65729 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Denise-
    I would keep your lab on puppy or all life stages food until she is full grown. She is still growing and needs the extras that are provided in the puppy food. You could always cut back on the amount you are feeding her to make sure she does not get overweight. Take a look at the following link for more information on feeding large breed puppies:
    /best-dog-foods/best-large-breed-puppy-food/
    Have fun with your pup. I bet she is adorable. 🙂

#65736 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Denise,

I’ve always had Labs, they do like to get heavy so I have to constantly watch intake. During growth I always fed a large breed puppy food, preferably one that underwent feeding trials
    until about 90% full grown around a year of age.

Dr Mike has an excellent article on large breed growth /best-dog-foods/best-large-breed-puppy-food/

and more information can be found here as well http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3501

Have fun!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.