🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer N

Hi all,

I am very excited that I am about to become the Mom of a fun 4 month old GSP. She is a rescue from TN…who unfortunately is severely undernourished (you can see her ribs and hip joints). So she needs to get her nutrition squared away ASAP so as not to cause life long issues.

I’ve been reading up on this site…but my question is, any food specific recommendations to help support a safe weight gain (along with the needs of a normal large breed pup)? Of course, this will be a topic of discussion for the first vet visit, but I want to make sure I get her off on the right foot from day 1. I live in a big city and I don’t mind spending good $$ to make sure she’s well taken care of.

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Jennifer N.
    #124769 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for making the decision to adopt this deserving dog. Please keep in mind, a 4-month old German Shepherd is considered a large breed puppy. To decrease her risk of hip dysplasia, she should be fed as a puppy (no adult dog foods) until she reaches adulthood (12 to 18 months).

Please visit our Best Large Breed Puppy Foods article for a list of our favorite large breed puppy foods.

Hope this helps.

#124792 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ Jennifer N

You may find this site helpful
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=large+breed+puppy+food

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/

Nothing is being sold at that site, no membership fees, nothing.

Good luck with your puppy!

#124815 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Quote: “Of course, this will be a topic of discussion for the first vet visit, but I want to make sure I get her off on the right foot from day 1”.

PS: You should find a veterinarian in your area and take the pup for an initial examination within 72 hours of when you get her. Bring a stool sample.

That will be your best bet. Depending upon findings the pup may need prescription food or may have other issues that need to be addressed right away.

Bring all paperwork received from the shelter with you. I know someone that adopted a pet from out of state she was told the pup was about 2 years old. Guess what, the vet (she took the pup right away) said the pup was about 5 and the pup needed a dental cleaning and extractions immediately.

Everything worked out and they still have the pup 5/6 years later 🙂

#124816 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“She is a rescue from TN…who unfortunately is severely undernourished (you can see her ribs and hip joints)”

If this is how the shelter is describing the pup. I would consider this a red flag. Please consult with a veterinarian asap. The dog may need more medical attention than you have been led to believe.

#124834 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,

great what you’re doing….has she been wormed? If she’s coming thru rescue they may have wormed her already?? this would be the first thing I’d be doing, make sure you give all wormer with her Dinner (a meal), Dinner is best time to give tablet then she goes to sleep..
    puppies should be wormed at 2, 4, 6, 8 and 12 weeks of age, and then every 4months for life with an all-wormer” or you can have poo tested for worms by vet…

I would avoid these new flea/tick chews – “Nexgard & Bravecto” as they are Neurotoxins, attack the fleas nervous systems also causing side effects to the poor dog.
    Do your research first…especially if she is malnourished..

Frontline Plus Spot On & Frontline Spray is the only flea/tick product that only penetrates the first 2 layers of the dogs skin & doesnt go into their blood, so less side effect for the dog…

I’d say her mum was also very malnourished, she’ll be right you’ve adopted her at a good age & the rescue people know the age of these rescue dogs that’s their job..
    if rescue has said she’s 4months old, then she is 4months old..
    I rescued a 18mth old Boxer she was a skeleton, it took a while for her to gain some weight, we had to feed 3-4 smaller meals a day, she had NO health problems except arthritis when she was older…

Look for a large breed puppy formula, then after she is fully grown start rotating her foods so she isnt eating the same brand of dry food…
    start feeding raw meaty bones as a treat…

also make sure you start puppy classes & socialize her
    The first 2 years are very important for socializing a puppy..
    I’d join a GSP f/b group….

#125030 Report Abuse
    Jennifer N

Thanks all…they are still having problems controlling her kennel cough (and it’s odd they didn’t quarantine her). So this, plus the undernourishment, have led me to the same conclusion as anon..and I have requested to be removed as the adopter. I found a happy normal weight male Germie, 8 weeks, that I get this weekend. Who hoo!

#125031 Report Abuse
    Jennifer N

Thanks all…they are still having problems controlling her kennel cough (and it’s odd they didn’t quarantine her). So this, plus the undernourishment, have led me to the same conclusion as anon..and I have requested to be removed as the adopter. I found a happy normal weight male Germie, 8 weeks, that I get this weekend. Who hoo!

Thanks for add the advice, much appreciated.

#125059 Report Abuse
    anonymous

You’re welcome.

Wishing you the best with your new pup.

And I hope that other pup get’s medically stabilized and finds a home too. Say a prayer for her.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.