🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Pepper1

Is there a high quality dog food with 3.5 or less fiber? Transitioning my pup from puppy to adult she’s 1year this month. Feeding grain free authority for puppy’s to grain free authority small breed. And she’s pooping like 5-6 times a day!

#34042 Report Abuse
    Leah12345

I am working on this issue with my dog too so I will be interested in the replies!

#34052 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

How about Victor Ultra Pro grain free or Earthborn Primitive Natural?

#34061 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Crazy4cats, are Victor Ultra Pro and Earthborn Primitive Natural low fiber? I just ordered the Victor and was planning on buying the Earhborn too? My pup doesn’t poop too often, but has really hard stools, so I was advised to add fiber to his diet, which I can still do with low-fiber food, but if it is good on fiber to begin with, that may help!

#34073 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Aleksandra-
    The Victor Ultra Pro variety has the highest protein and the lowest fiber in the line. It has 42% protein, 22% fat and 2.7% fiber. The premium grain free that I’m using right now has 33% protein, 16% fat and 3.8% fiber. As for Earthborn Primative Natural, the fiber is even lower at 2.5%. I think the other varieties in the line are a little higher also. I’ve only tried the Meadow Feast and my dogs did not do well on it.
    Both of these websites are very informative and easy to maneuver. You should check them out! Good luck.

#34098 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Crazy4cats,

Thanks for the info, I see the numbers now. I have Earthborn Coastal Catch and Great Plains Feast, both with 4% fiber (haven’t started them yet), but I really wanted the Victor and the Primitive Natural… I guess I can just add extra fiber when feeding those, because I like their nutritional profile otherwise. So hopefully Bruno will be ok with some extra pumpkin, carrots, pineapple, etc. I think he may quite enjoy it even! 🙂

#34107 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I’m sure he will enjoy them. You could also add psyllium or chia for fiber. Bruno is a lucky dog!

#34127 Report Abuse
    Naturella

crazy4cats,

I will look into both! And thank you! I love my little guy and want to do all I can to keep him around as long as possible, and keep him comfortable and healthy. 🙂

#34141 Report Abuse
    robertdee

I had the same problem with my puppy and we have used this with great success in the past: http://bestdogremedies.com/product/bionic-biotic-condition-and-digestion-supplement/

#34256 Report Abuse
    Naturella

robertdee,

Thanks for the link! I will definitely look into this product!

So, I looked up the guaranteed analyses of the current mix of food I feed Bruno (Dr. Tim’s, Nutrisca Chicken, and Vets Choice HHE GF), and their fiber contents are 4.5%, 7%, and 5% max respectively. So the mix is actually kind of good on fiber.

I have been adding all kinds of stuff to his kibble though, such as plain yoghurt, pumpkin, ground flax seeds, the usual coconut oil and once-a-week RMB, his first marrow bone (raw, and the bone is still around for gnawing and chewing on), cottage cheese, raw egg, and canned sardines, as well as the occasional dehydrated natural chews (ears, bully sticks, fish skins, chicken necks, lamb tendons, etc.). I am going to develop a schedule for adding all these in his weekly meals so that the additional calories, fat, fiber, and protein are somewhat evenly distributed in his diet. I am also cutting down his kibble to 3/4 cup from 1 cup because of the additives, but I will make sure the calorie intake stays about the same.

So far his poops have overall improved, and I have a feeling it is the additional moisture, and the yoghurt. I always keep plain yoghurt at home (love the stuff), so Bruno will have access to it too, just have to figure out how often. But yes, I feel like we are on track with fixing his stool and/or any digestion problems he may have had. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.