🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    James P

I have a 8 year old female boxer with a pretty good under bite. As such her teeth don’t line up properly and since she is getting older it’s becoming harder for her to eat a hard dry kibble. I recently started putting ” Moist and Meaty” dog food down for her and she doesn’t seem to be having any problems with it. I would normally not feed it as the primary food but don’t want her to go hungry. Between that and can ( chunk) dog food I guess that is where we are for now. Any suggestions would be welcome. What about Frozen soft version of Bil-Jack?

#50211 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Fresh Pet makes soft kibble. I’ve tried to feed it to my senior kitty, but she turned her nose up. My dogs loved it, however! They don’t mind eating the cats’ rejects. But, anyway, I highly recommend it for your dog. How about canned food? Hope you find something.

#50223 Report Abuse
    James P

I feed her caned food with soft chunks and she likes it but here again am concerned about that being her main food. I guess at this stage it’s better than her not eating at all or trying to chew hard kibble.

#50224 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Both Moist & Meaty and Bil Jac are very low quality foods. Feed a high quality canned, dehydrated or pre made raw. You can find reviews of them by clicking “reviews” in the red line above.

#50225 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Does she eat large or small kibble? My previous bulldog ate xs/small kibble with canned food without any problems. She didn’t have to chew any of it and was able to lick it all up from her bowl. Have you tried soaking the kibble for several minutes (10-20 min)?

#50227 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi James-
    I’m not sure why you are concerned about canned food being her main food. A four or five star canned food is healthier than kibble. I agree with the other two posters. Moist & Meaty and Bil Jac are not quality foods. Also tiny kibble, like Sandy recommended, with canned might work for you as well. I feed my dogs grain free Victor with various add-ins. It is tiny kibble.
    Also, there is also the Fresh Pet that can be found in both pet and grocery stores that might work. I bet your pup is very cute with her little under bite! Good luck.

#50228 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I am going to 2nd, or I guess 3rd, the Fresh Pet recommendation. I feed my dog that occassionally and she loves it. Also, you should look into a good canned food. Like C4C said, it is much better than kibble.

#50233 Report Abuse

Jasmes- remember-any dry food can be softened by soaking it for 10mins or so in warm water 🙂

#50242 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Oh yeah, good point! LOL!

#50247 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Canned food is much better than kibble. My yorkie never gets kibble, only canned which I rotate and freeze dried.

#50278 Report Abuse

Weezer-its the quality of the canned however, and not all people are going to pay 3-4$ per can for the higher quality ones. A boxer could eat 3 or even 4 cans per day depending on activity level 🙂 At that rate it would probably be cheaper to go with aa commercial raw.

#50279 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

You’re right Melissa. I forget I have a little yorkie and it takes him 3 days to eat one can so that is why I can buy the good ones.

#50281 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

The benefits or owning a little ankle-biter! 😉 No offense! Lol!

#50288 Report Abuse

Weezer-lol..I do miss the days of owning one or two small ones only!! How is your little man doing??

#50391 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

How about Honest Kitchen? More expensive than kibble but might work out comparably to good canned food.

#50395 Report Abuse
    Pat G

I use Honest Kitchen for my guys but they are little, the three of them make up one 35 lb dog. Again I have heard good things about Fromm Canned, I think its called Gold Naturals but not sure, you can look on their website

#50405 Report Abuse
    James P

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. She still picks at the dry kibble she is used to but I’ll augment that with a good can food.
    Thanks again

#50621 Report Abuse
    Robert R

What about Pure Balance canned from Walmart for $1 per can? It’s rated 5 star. I use this for my little poodles to supplement Orijen kibble and they love it. One can lasts for 2 days.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.