🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Stewiesmom1
    Participant

Hello, I am new to this site and I am trying to find some recommendations on what I could feed a very picky eater. First I would like to give a little background. I started fostering him about 9 months ago. We think is about 2 yrs. old and a Spitz Breed. He looks just like the pictures I have seen online with a tail like a fox. When I got him he had been hit by a car and was thought to have a fracture that would heal. However about 2 month’s he still could not use his leg. I had to really be proactive to get them to have another Vet. to look at him and they found his leg was completely broken at the elbow. It was decided to have his front leg amputated. He’s has healed really good and is doing great with only 3 legs.

Now I need some help getting him to eat dog food. During his recovery I knew he had to eat and have protein to heal so we “doctored” up his food by adding baby food (suggested by the vet) he really didn’t like it much. Sometimes he will eat canned food, but I have not had any luck with any dry food. I don’t know what he was feed during the first 2 years, but I wouldn’t think they took good care of him since they pushed him from the car in traffic and someone hit him and the owners kept going.

I was thinking about making my own food, but concerned I will not get enough vitamins & minerals correctly. I am concerned that he gets the right vitamins & minerals to help his other 3 legs be strong and I need to kept his weight under control.

I have looked at a few places that sell homemade food, but $107.00 dollars for 21 days feeding is a bit more that I can afford. Can anyone give me some ideas as to my choices or cost in making his food or where to buy homemade food at a decent price?

Thanks so much and I look forward to your comments.

#12997 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Stewiesmom1 –

If you want to continue with commercial food I’d recommend mixing in some Tripett. Most dogs can’t resist green tripe. Just mash some up with warm water to make a “gravy” and make sure all the kibble is coated.

Homemade is great for picky eaters too and is – imo – the healthiest way to feed a dog. Pre-made raw/cooked foods are very cost prohibitive and making everything from scratch is much cheaper (and higher quality). It’s not rocket science to formulate a balanced diet, but it does take a little research. If you check out the recommended menus on the raw food topic area you can see what I feed my dogs. Dogaware.com is a great resource. Dr. Becker has a great book called “Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats” and Steve Brown’s book “Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet” is a great read as well – both books include AAFCO compliant recipes. There are also pre-mixes (such as THK’s Preference, Sojo’s, Birkdale, Urban Wolf, etc.) that contain all the vegetables, fruits and vitamins your dog needs and all you have to add it fresh raw or cooked meat.

#13019 Report Abuse
    DieselJunki

+1 for the Tripett! My puppy cannot turn it down and he will turn his nose up at kibble. I could put some on a piece of poop and he’d think it was the greatest thing on earth (of course puppies eat anything anyways… so not really sure that was a good comparison! 😛 ).

I’ve been thinking myself to try and get into the raw diet for my puppy but want to be sure I know the ins and outs before I take the plunge. So for now I will just keep adding Tripett to his food until I feel comforatble with my knowledge of a raw diet. I do Hound Dog Moms suggestion with a couple spoonfuls and some warm water and mixing. I bought a 12 pack at a store for 10% off because I bought it in bulk. After you try your first can look for deals like that. Most mom and pop dog food stores will have deals like that I’ve found in my search for foods.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.