Pedigree Dog Products (dry & wet)

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Pedigree Dog Products (dry & wet)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ronald
    Participant

I have looked at a few articles, and I never see any Pedigree dog food articles..
    Is Pedigree not a suitable dog food product..

I have been using Pedigree now for almost five years, dry and wet food.

Just wondering if I can get some information on these products.

Thanks.
    Ron..

#65325 Report Abuse
    Diana B

Out of curiosity, I just looked that up for you. It’s listed under one star dog food on the Dog Food Advisor website. There are plenty of better choices and a wealth of information on the site. If you if I were you, I would change to a better quality food. Good luck!

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Diana B.
    #65330 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Ron,
    Up above, in the red line, click “reviews”. Then, go to “P”, find Pedigree and you will find the review.

#65340 Report Abuse
    Ronald
    Participant

Thanks folks, I spent some time on here last night. I found a lot of good information..

I was reading the label, and I am a label shopper, but not for dog food I guess. Anyways the label say by product of of sorts..

Also talked to the wife about the dog food.. I am going to get a better quality food, probably dry..Wet food is to fattening.

I have a black lab she is roughly 8 years of age, and a little over weight..

What are some of the dry dog foods would you’d recommend I get her on…I would appreciate some feedback on this..

Thanks

Ron..

#65352 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Ronald, I fed my dogs Pedigree for about 4-5 yrs as well…. until I can to this site!

They’re now eating Pure Balance. All of the recipes both dry and can, are rated 3.5 – 4 stars. My dogs LOVE the Salmon & Pea grain-free recipe and most of the can, except for chicken. But they didn’t like Pedigree chicken either, so I guess they just don’t like chicken.

BTW, you can get Pure Balance at Walmart.

#65354 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Ron,
    Since your lab is a little overweight, you could try a reduced fat food. I had luck with Wellness Core reduced fat or Annamaet Lean. If it was me, I’d go with the Annamaet but you might have to order it. Wellnss is more readily available.

#65355 Report Abuse
    Ronald
    Participant

Thanks Peggy, I’ve been on the site most of the morning reading, and reading, gets confusing.. I like to see answers as to what others have done and used..
    Pure Balance has a 4 star rating..
    I have a few pet stores around me I’m in South Lyon Michigan..
    There is a Walmart in the next Town from us..I will check Pet Supplies Plus first before heading over to Walmart..
    Thanks for posting the info. I appreciate this..
    Abby has put some pounds on, I was reading the label this morning and Pedigree is loaded with by products..
    For years I always thought Pedigree was a good food..How wrong could I have been..

Ron..

#65357 Report Abuse
    Ronald
    Participant

InkedMarie, thanks for your reply.

I checked out your selection, both look good and have a high rating..

Wellness Core has different products..

Annamaet is not in my area, but I travel back and forth to Canada and I see locations and stores that I know..

I have many selections now, going to be hard to make a choice..

Will try one at a time and see if Abby likes them..She is not a picky eater.

She is a rescued dog who was abandoned and on the list to be euthanized, so we stepped in and took her home two years ago..she has been the very best little girl, but is too friendly..I live in a senior’s complex and can’t get out of the parking lot for a walk without her visiting everyone on the way..She must have made friends over the last two years with a million people..

Ron..

#65360 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Ronald, no more wrong than I was, or 75% of the US population, so don’t beat yourself up.
    After leaving Pedigree, I moved to Blue Buffalo Basics which my Tebow liked – a little too much. He gained weight like crazy. LadyBug vomited.

I think she has food sensitivities, so we switched to Wellness Core grain-free reduced fat.
    They both hated it, lol. Would not eat a single bite. I was discussing other brands with members here, and how being a single mom I can’t afford the high-priced stuff. Someone mentioned Pure Balance, which I looked up here and saw the good ratings. So I googled it and discovered you can only find it at Walmart.

I was floored that a food sold at walmart had such a high rating. And except for the chicken recipe, they love it. Especially the can lamb and dry Salmon & Pea recipe. And although it’s at the very top end of my budget, I can still swing it. Carefully. 🙂

#65362 Report Abuse
    Ronald
    Participant

Peggy thanks, just rechecked and yes Walmart only, I guess I’ll drive over later and get some..

Right now we are having freezing rain..I drove a big truck hauling steel, and I don’t like this kind of weather..

Ron..

#65364 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Ron, we have freezing rain, ice and snow here in Youngstown too. The roads are a slick mess.
    Anyway, I started off with the smallest bag of dry and a few tubs of wet food, to test the waters so to speak. They love it.

Good luck!

#65366 Report Abuse
    Ronald
    Participant

Thanks..Your probably getting the same storm we are, snowing now..

I’ll do the same also..

I see your a web designer..

I run two seniors web forums Love working in the back grounds, playing with the css and other files..

This is my busiest one: http://seniorsworldwide.net/index.php?action=forum

Ron..

#66033 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Ron, I’m a little late to this topic but I suggest you start slowly when you change the food. Some dogs can’t handle an abrupt switch of a low quality food to a better one. Some people suggest going from a 1 or 2 star product to a 3 star and work up to 5 star food. Hope your girl is doing well!

#66054 Report Abuse
    Ronald
    Participant

Thanks jakes mom for replying.. Abby took to this food like a duck takes to water..

Abby was a rescue dog, when I got her she was around 6 or 7 years old, was abandon by her owners in an apartment.. They just moved and left her behind..

But getting back to the food, I was wondering if maybe she was fed this food with her previous owner..As soon as the wife put a bowl of salmon and peas dry mix down, she ate like she had missed it all these years..

She has had no problems with the switch at all..

I did notice the difference in her bowel movements though, with the new food an easier bowel movement and much more than normal, sometimes when we are out walking she’ll go sometime twice within minutes..

I was in the dog store today looking at the different brands of dry food, what are your thoughts on Natural and Diamond..

Ron..

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Ronald.
    #66066 Report Abuse
    RethaCarole

Ron,

Thanks for starting this post. Again, you are not the only one feeding Pedigree. I have been feeding it to my rescued Lab (Miley) for 8 years now and she was recently diagnosed in November with diabetes (420 glucose level) and immediately started her on insulin (11 units) 2 x per day. While a lot of her symptoms have subsided and she went from 80 pounds to 70 pounds, her glucose level will not drop below 300. I have been researching different dog foods for a few days now and was appalled by what I have read about what is in Pedigree and the low nutritional value. No wonder her glucose level will not drop. I feel like such a horrible doggie mom. Because there are so many dog foods on the market it is so difficult to find one for a diabetic dog that is low carb, low fat, low on the Glycemic index, less than 20% of the calories are from the carbs and costs less than $50 a bag. The brands that have a specific line of diabetic products do not get very good ratings either. Because of all this research, I found this website in the hopes of finding something better to give Miley. So if anyone has any experience or suggestions, I would truly appreciate the assistance. My head is swimming right now.
    Thanks in advance,
    Retha

#66067 Report Abuse

HI Ronald. Some people love Diamond products. Due to the extensive recalls, I personally will not use anything made by them, nor could I recommend it. There are budget friendly good foods out there. Pure balance, Victor, Hi Tek, Nutrisource, propac are just some of them.

#66080 Report Abuse
    Ronald
    Participant

OK thanks for replying Melissa, I also heard a lot about Diamond, so it’s out..

I did go to Wal-Mart and got some dry and wet Pro Balance. Abby loves it..

Retha thanks for the response.. I did use Pedigree for years and even recommend it to others, no more though..At the top of the page check out the Reviews.. on types of foods..

If there is a Wal-Mart close to you go the pet section and give Pro Balance a try, you can buy small bags. Salmon and peas seems like a good start..This food is all grain free.

My first dog Eddie was a Pedigree dog, who got sick and ended up having two shots a day for diabetes, this never stops.. He ended up passing away because he was just too sick. Been three years now and I still see him walking with me..even though he’s not..

Ron..

#66081 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Ronald, did you get Pro Balance, or Pure Balance. 🙂

#66085 Report Abuse
    Ronald
    Participant

I had to go look to make sure..

Pure Balance is what I got..

#66086 Report Abuse
    Ronald
    Participant

<quote>Retha thanks for the response.. I did use Pedigree for years and even recommend it to others, no more though..At the top of the page check out the Reviews.. on types of foods..

If there is a Wal-Mart close to you go the pet section and give Pro Balance a try, you can buy small bags. Salmon and peas seems like a good start..This food is all grain free.</quote>

Retha I meant to tell you “Pure Balance” you can get it at Wal Mart.

Ron.

#66098 Report Abuse
    Peggy

haha, ok just wanted that to be clear, because you’ve been saying Pro Balance. 🙂

#66099 Report Abuse
    Ronald
    Participant

Signs of old age setting in..Good thing your keeping track of me..

Ron..

#66100 Report Abuse
    Peggy

LOL. I know all about those signs…

#66101 Report Abuse
    Ronald
    Participant

Ain’t life gorgeous getting old..I have no regrets..

#67291 Report Abuse
    Susan M

As much as I like Purina for horsefeed I do not like them for dog food. I feed my dogs, one of which is very sensitive a grain free and potato free dog food. I love horizon legacy salmon and pea. I also like the Orijen adult. The Orijen is human grade food. All of their food is locally grown, they raise their own chickens, they pay fisherman to go out and catch their fish etc.. It is a very expensive dog food but well worth it. Horizon is a great dog food at a very reasonable price! I don’t think either have ever had recalls.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.