šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Karen D
    Participant

Thanks to this forum I am happy with this new food & so is Pnut, no more messy poops, I noticed this food contains Glucosamine & Chondroitin, should I stop giving her the chewable joint supplements or cut back?
    Thanks,
    Karen

#80925 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I personally would not add any supplements to this dog’s food unless a veterinarian that has examined the dog recommends it.

For example: Some supplements can increase the tendency for bladder stones to develop, especially with older dogs that are sedentary and don’t drink enough water.

More info here: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=glucosamine

#80927 Report Abuse
    Karen D
    Participant

Thank you, very informative…..I will stop giving her the Cosequinā€Ž.

#80930 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Karen- Personally I disagree with Anonymously on that advice. While its nice that foods contain glucosamine and chondroitin, they don’t contain a theraputic amount. Especially if you have a senior dog that is showing signs of stiff joints. The only time I’ve ever heard of additional supplements causing any of the problems that Anonymously mentioned is when they were overfed. You can certainly still double check with your vet, but most of these supplements are safe to feed along with a food that contains glucosamine and chondroitin.

#80934 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Karen, Personally I also disagree with the advice given to you from Anonymously regarding the addition of glucosamine and chondroitin for the exact reasons that Pitlove has stated. There is not enough glucosamine and chondroitin in any food to be of any real relief for arthritic issues. Yes the ones they say contain it do but not enough and also a lot is burned off when the kibble is made. As Pitlove suggested, you can run it passed your vet but I personally would continue to give your dog the supplements.

#80937 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I just looked up Orijen. Wow, expensive! I’ll stick with my Nutrsica Salmon and Chickpea šŸ™‚

#80938 Report Abuse
    Karen D
    Participant

Thank you all for your input, I had second thoughts about stopping the Cosequin & will continue till next Vet visit & ask her what she thinks since she recommended it in the first place but was before food was changed. I agree Orijen is pricey but so are vet bills, I paid $81 a month ago when she had mushy poop & vet didn’t know why, other than a food issue, so yeah I will gladly pay for the Orijen senior….I think since it is such a good food you end up feeding way less in the long run & so price evens out. I am feeding Pnut 125 grams per day in addition to 1/4-1/3 can of Newmans Own Turkey & Chicken, split into 4 feedings (yeah she’s spoiled) & she weighs 30 #s so using the chart on back of Orijen bag I added the 2 close weights(22 & 44) & amounts to feed & divided by 2 to get 150 grams, then took away 25 to make up for the canned…close enough.
    Karen

#80950 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Did you check out Wysong Senior: http://www.chewy.com/dog/wysong-senior-dry-dog-food-5-lb-bag/dp/50242
    My senior was doing very well on this, however, I had to switch to one brand of food that agrees will all 3 dogs (Nutrisca).

#80951 Report Abuse
    Karen D
    Participant

No I didn’t, my son feeds Now also from Canada so I felt good going to Orijen on advice I got from a forum member. I love the way it’s made & shipped with the air sucked out & everything in it sounds good to me & Pnut is very happy with it. Also got some samples of Acana, 3 different types…I give her one little piece as a treat.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.