šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cindy q
    Participant

I have started feeding my Standard Poodle and also my Toy Poodle orijen regional and they love it, but someone told me its not good for a Toy Poodle. any one know

#43862 Report Abuse
    Case

It’s fine. Think about it…thats like saying a particular dish is good for full sized humans but isn’t good for midgets.

Can someone explain the rationale behind this misconception to me?

#44168 Report Abuse
    Robert R

My toy poodle, Her Royal Highness, Princess Poodle Puppy, Coco Chanel (who’s been to Paris 3 times) loves Orijen 6 Fish and Orijen Puppy. I also feed her Pure Balance canned about 4 times a week and has sardines about once a week. She has lots of energy and looks great. My mini poodle Jefferson eats the same food and is also doing well.

#44191 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Thanks Robert, my toy is 8 years old and more of a couch potatoe now thats why I was told it was too much protein for her.

#44195 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Couch potato has nothing to do with what protein level a dog should have. It does have everything to do with how many calories a dog should have though.

Case
    With breed specific diets, it’s a marketing ploy, nothing more. There are a few genetic issues that are helped with a good diet, but breed specific kibbles don’t qualify as a good diet.

As for the rest of it, it’s pure malarky, in fact, dogs that are extreme athletes and in some cases lactating mothers, are the only groups of dogs that may require carbs. All the rest, barring specific medical problems, would do just fine on high protein, moderate fat, no carb diets.

#44199 Report Abuse
    MeMe B

I’m so glad to see this question! I am about to order food for transitioning from a not so great food (thanks to finding this site!) to Acana or Orijen for my couch potato 7 yo toy poodle. So Robert R I’m glad to see your poos are doing well on this food!

#44203 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

I feel so much better now feeding this to my toy, I wanted something that my 8 mos old Standard Poodle and my 8 year old toy could both eat. They both love this food. When I was feeding Merrick neither of them were that interested in it and my Standard was very gassy, she doesn’t have that problem on Orijen. I am trying to find a canned food that they will both eat also, one that is just as good as Orijen. I am going to try Go fit & free, does anyone use that or have a opinion on it?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.