Ongoing diarrhea nightmare

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Ongoing diarrhea nightmare

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    houndraptor
    Participant

Okay, so for starters this is my first self-owned dog ever. He’s a retired racing Greyhound, and I’m a pre-veterinary college student who overthinks like everything and worries constantly about my dog.

My hound came home in January, and I first started feeding him ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach salmon & oatmeal… he had loose stool & pretty bad dandruff, which the vet chalked up to being due to stress. I switched him to ProPlan beef & rice, and he continued to have loose stool but the dandruff became literally horrific like it looked like it was snowing on him. NOT allergies, and he weirdly wasn’t itchy? He just had ridiculously dry skin.

Then, I switched him to Taste of the Wild Ancient Grains (the lamb one) in hopes of trying to curb his dandruff (omega-3 supplements weren’t helping), and he had HORRIFIC diarrhea, I mean like straight up he had the runs. I took him to the vet the next morning and we did a course of metronidazole & probiotic paste. The probiotic paste gave him some temporary relief.

Because of his reaction to TOTW, I switched him to Canidae beef & oatmeal. And honestly? he was doing really well for awhile. I was also supplementing fiber through Olewo Carrots for awhile, but we ran out and have been issues ordering another bag until yesterday. We were still having 50/50 loose stool and good poops, my only qualm was that he seems to have a duller coat. And now we are here…. Aaaand he is having liquid shoot-out-the-butt poops again- I bought him Fortiflora, but I don’t think it’s doing much to help. I made him an appointment to see the vet again but they couldn’t squeeze us in until Thursday. I’m kind of at a loss lol… I feel like total garbage and I don’t know what to do 🙁

He doesn’t have any other symptoms than the diarrhea either! It’s not parasites (I’ve had him tested twice), he’s not lethargic, he isn’t in pain, he’s not itchy, he’s not vomiting, he’s eating & drinking like normal, there’s no blood. He’s totally normal other than having horrific diarrhea!

#172385 Report Abuse
    Mark D
    Participant

Maybe try a food with beet pulp…Natural Balance makes one or Jinx….it def made my dogs poops much firmer.

#172387 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Maybe stick to one food without the lamb or beef. Might be too high in fat. Stick with ONLY the food and no other supplements. Any change in food will give diarrhea for mine. So maybe just boiled white meat chicken with skin cut off before boiling and some white rice. Mix in a high quality kibble with only a few kibbles in bowl to get used to. Mine do well with Stella Chewy’s grain free chicken with no stomach problems. Or look here on DFA for 5* proteins/flavors/brands because I believe those are lower in fat. But I think key at least for mine is give new kibble a chance for her digestive system to get used to so you don’t start over and switch again thinking it’s the food each time . This way you can get up to a full bowl in maybe a week or so and if diarrhea again then start process over until find one that agrees with him.
    Hope this helps for your pup.

#172921 Report Abuse
    Tammie B
    Participant

How is your baby? Have you found a food that works for him? I know of a kibble that is high quality, nutrient dense and contains probiotics. I’ve been feeding it for 3 years. Let me know if you’d like more info.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.