🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 1,192 total)
  • Author
    meky6ra

Oh, sorry 🙁 So if it can’t be rated, then it can’t be included in the Editor’s Choice list?

#56026 Report Abuse
    Dori

NO! If they can’t rate it than there is no way that they can include it in an Editor’s Choice list!!!! How would they be able to include it in foods that they believe are the best if they can not evaluate it?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Dori.
    #56032 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Often these diets are a bit low in protein or use questionable ingredients, so on this site wouldn’t get a good rating, but they are for specific illnesses, and may need to be formulated in a specific way. You just can’t judge a food for a specific problem the same way you do for a normal food. I believe I’ve heard that, of the prescription diets, Rayne Nutrition is known to be one of the best, if not the best.

#56037 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I KNOW that I’ve seen that Rayne is one of Susan Thixton’s favorite foods.

#56059 Report Abuse
    meky6ra

Well, I thought that brands made it to the Editor’s Choice list for reasons other than their star ratings (cleanliness, reliable sources, transparency, etc…)

I feel like the ingredients in the Rayne products are not questionable and the guaranteed analysis of the kangaroo and sweet potato kibble says 28% protein. The Iams prescription food that Dixie was eating before has “animal fat” and the protein is 19%.

This is why I thought that it might be an Editor’s Choice brand.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by meky6ra.
    #56101 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

This is in response to Patricia B and Mom2cavs from Sept 2014, I fed my 4 yr old Blue Buffalo since we got her at 9 weeks and she did great (along with lazy half raw). Our new pup, chihuahua mix in Dec 2013, did better on the Purina Puppy Chow they fed her at the rescue (than the Blue Puppy-and we were fans of Blue!). After watching it come out both ends for a few weeks (a growing puppy!) we switched her to raw along with our older dog, and I will never go back if I can help it. I realize it’s not for everyone. We use Orijen kibble and freeze dried as we need to once or twice per week. I feel awful for feeding my older dog Blue for as long as I did. She has lost weight and her coat shines so much more than when she ate Blue kibble.

#56102 Report Abuse
    Dori

Can’t remember if explanation was given for Nature’s Logic not being on the EC list. 5 star kibble, readily available and many posters on DFA feed it. It is the only kibble in my rotation feeding. All other foods I feed are raw, freeze dried, dehydrated. Thx.

#56104 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

In reply to Kristin… After my experiences w kibble I too changed to raw with the help of several wonderful people here and I can’t imagine going back. For me it’s a bit of a job to find resources other than whole foods ( un medicated /chemicalized chicken) and the Butcher shop. I have been to a slaugther house, called local grass feeding farmers (who never return calls) and am networking to find a more cost effective source for the variety of raw food. Nonetheless I will continue the raw because I can SEE a difference in my dogs. My GSD’s teeth are so much cleaner from HARE TODAY’s great Turkey Necks. I am still anxious about feeding the BEEF RIB BONES (any suggestions?) In my head I know his molars can chew them but I keep being afraid he’ll swallow a sharp piece which could cause trouble on it’s journey through and out the other end. Anyone else’s dogs doing fine on chewing Beef Rib Bones? I am asking around and it appears they are not a problem, and are very healthy. Tom Lonsdale DVM writes a worthwhile book RAW MEATY BONES and has a website with that title. I know I need to overcome this concern. Best of Luck, Kristin!

#56105 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

Hi Nancy-I fed my dogs beef rib bones a couple weeks ago and it’s not for me. I’m not sure if you were on my DFA post that day. Once all the meat was gone they did not want to give up the bones. And my fear is that they’ll break a tooth, which my older dog did on a beef marrow bone which I no longer feed. We stick with the consumable RMBs, chicken necks and backs, and turkey necks, duck parts. I have to order them as I don’t find them at the grocer, other than occasionally turkey necks.

#56372 Report Abuse
    Robin B

i know that Nulo Grain Free is still relatively new, but what a great food. I tried many of Advisor’s 5 star dry foods, before successfully finding and loving Nulo. Nulo has to be a future consideration for Editor’s Choice!!!!

#56563 Report Abuse
    Terry G

“Small Batch” is a raw, frozen food. The company started in San Francisco, CA. I mix it with “Primal” brand goat’s milk.

#56691 Report Abuse
    Katherine R

You gave such a positive review of The Real Meat Company’s dry dog food that I don’t understand why it didn’t make your Editor’s Choice list.

#56701 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you read a number of different reviews, you will see that Dr Mike uses much the same language for many reviews. In an effort to be impartial in his reviews he uses the same wording for the same thing in all reviews. EC is the cream of the cream of the crop. Very few brands will make it.

#56703 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

The Editor’s Choice list gets updated periodically. Some companies will be added and some may be removed as the pet food industry is always changing.

#56740 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dr. Mike, is it possible to please highlight changes to the Editor’s Choice List every month? I never manage to see what the difference in the brand lists is… Thank you!

#56775 Report Abuse
    lauren t
    #56966 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Naturella –

That’s a good idea. I’ll ask Dr. Mike what he thinks! 🙂

#56967 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Katherine –

Just because a food receives a good review doesn’t necessarily mean it will qualify as an Editor’s Choice selection – if all the foods that had high ratings were EC selections there would be no purpose of having an EC. The star ratings are based on the ingredients list and guaranteed analysis only – so basically if the food looks good on paper it will receive a high rating. The Editor’s Choice Report takes into consideration several additional factors such as recall history, transparency, ingredient sourcing, customer service, availability, etc. The Editor’s Choice foods are held to a much higher standard than other foods. This is not to say, however, that a food is bad because it wasn’t chosen for feature in the EC. Some foods are fabulous and they just may not have been chosen for something as simple as not having a wide enough availability or, in some cases, it’s even possible that we are not familiar with the particular food (which is why we love suggestions!). I encourage you to check out our FAQ section to learn more about the selection process.

#56970 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Terry –

You can certainly mix a different brand of raw dog food with Primal’s goat’s milk. My dogs love raw goat’s milk, unfortunately I have a difficult time getting it in my area. 🙁

#57144 Report Abuse
    Linda P

Natural Planet Salmon and Rabbit

#57247 Report Abuse
    Renate W

Acana Light and Fit, is a very good dry food for dogs with weight issues. Why is it not available in the USA like all the other Acana formulas?

#57251 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

None of the Acana Classics are available in the states. My assumption is because of limited manufacturing capabilities from their plant. They are opening a plant in Kentucky sometime in the coming future, so that should make more of acana’s formulas available

#57688 Report Abuse
    Linda M

Nature’s Logic

#57775 Report Abuse
    Adam Q

HI –

I’d to know more about:
    BLUE Wilderness®
    Rocky Mountain Recipe™
    Healthy Weight Red Meat

It doesn’t appear to be listed on the site.

#57779 Report Abuse
    Karene H

I would like to see some info on choosing a good vitamin/mineral supplement. There doesn’t seem to be any recommended daily allowance on the labels, just the amount of each nutrient, but I don’t know how to tell whether it is a good amount, or not so good.

#57781 Report Abuse

Life’s Abundance dry Dog & Puppy formulas and canned dog food. Veterinarian formulated and never recalled. They ship direct to the customer so it’s super fresh and they know exactly where their products are if there ever were an issue. Thank you for your consideration! ~Melissa O’Bryan – Independent Field Rep of Life’s Abundance since 2001.

#57920 Report Abuse
    Jean R

What about Earthborn Holistic Puppy Vantage?

#58037 Report Abuse
    Linda P

Sportmix Wholesomes Chicken and Rice. I understand the other Sportmix formulas are only a 3.5 rating but this formula is rated by you guys as 4. I buy it because it is very budget friendly and yet is rated a 4. In addition, I show German Shepherds and have a number of dogs being fed this food right now and I’ve fed it long enough to see the condition, energy, and beautiful coats they have as a result. I’ve tried several different brands rated both 4 and 5 and so far, the best results on my dogs is this one. Also 40 pound bag is less than $30.00 at Tractor Supply! Another big plus is that the dogs really like it. What good does it do to feed a highly considered food that the dogs won’t eat unless they are starving and even then are hesitant? I’ve had that happen a few times also!

#58050 Report Abuse
    Saig
    Participant

Hi Linda, do you feed your Gs puppies this food as well? Do they do well on the sportsmix chicken? I’ve been wanting to try this. Thanks.

#58051 Report Abuse
    Linda P

I haven’t had a litter this year but I might when I do again. I have a really nice girl I’m ready to start showing. Once she is a Champion, I will probably breed her. GSD puppies need to grow slowly so I often will raise them on an adult formula as long as it is a good one. I’ve been so impressed with this one, I just might do that.

#58141 Report Abuse
    Jamie M

Victor grain free and victor select

#58143 Report Abuse
    Shiela F

Newman’s Own Organic

#58145 Report Abuse
    Alexis H

I know that you have reviewed Orijen Dog Foods, however I would love to see you evaluate Orijen’s new product in the United States, Orijen Tundra Dry Food (It contains different meats). Thank you

#58996 Report Abuse
    Pamila G

N & D Farmina is now available in the United States. I would like to see that one and also Natures Logic. They both seem to be excellent food. I do feed Natures Logic but would like to alternate between Farmina and Natures Logic.

Pam

#59175 Report Abuse
    Loraine J

How about Wellness Core GF Ocean Formula? My 3 dogs are diong very well on it. Haven’t seen any reviews though.

#59187 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Wellpet is on the editor’s choice list

#59197 Report Abuse
    joe d

canine cavior dry, chicken formula. its been great for my dogs. i rescue and foster. its just too exspensive when you feed 4-5 dogs. and reccomends for same quality but lower price.

#59337 Report Abuse
    Deborah B W

I would like to know if you ever researched flint river ranch dry dog food lamb and rice
    Or the fish formula by them ? Supposedly they have high quality ingredients and have never been recalled. Is that brand in lamb and rice ok for a 3 month puppy?

#59340 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Go to the review side and look up Flint River Ranch. It’s there.

#59359 Report Abuse
    Deborah B W

Flint river ranch lamb and rice, fish, or chicken dry food is rated pretty high with no known recalls. What is your opinion on this food ? Please let me know by e-mail

#59680 Report Abuse
    rose g

WHAT ABOUT ZIWIPEAK

#59733 Report Abuse
    Regina D

Why are Blue Buffalo Stews not on this list? They are 5 star rated. My dog loves them.

#59743 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

This is the cream of the cream of companies, not every company that makes 5 star foods will make it. If the brand, Blue Buffalo, doesn’t make the list, then the individual foods they make certainly won’t be listed.

#59752 Report Abuse
    Chase

Hi Mike.

Only Natural Pet Canine PowerFood (Poultry Feast).

Only Natural Pet PowerFood Chicken and Poultry Feast Grain Free Dog Food

#59753 Report Abuse
    Judy M

I cn’t find Darwins it was listed 5 star on regular DGA site…has it not het been rated or is it now not recommended? need to know because using it for my dog Thx Judy

#59754 Report Abuse
    Judy M

oops typo DGA should be DFA, …am sure u knew that tho?

#59756 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

One of the criteria for EC is widely available. Since Darwin’s is only available directly from the manufacturer, it isn’t considered widely available. It is still a great food.

#59761 Report Abuse
    Judy M

Ohhhh , didn’t read criteria carefully enough, Thanks for the info BCnt; I guess I will stick with it since it wasn’t omitted due to quality.
    (I feed the more expensive free range “no additive junk’ version) of Darwins and conveniently pkg’d and easy to use .

#60145 Report Abuse
    MARICAR H

How about Evo grain free dog food. I am seriously considering buying it and rotate the different main meat ingredients.

#60337 Report Abuse
    Jennifer N

Why isn’t Halo on here? How do you know who uses the 4 D meats? I don’t see that info in the ratings, that’s very important to me.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 1,192 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.