šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 1,192 total)
  • Author
    Michael B

Vital Essentials has no website and I can’t find any information about how it is handled or the origin of its products. I am beginning to not trust the company and will switch raw diet brands to Stella & Chewy’s.

#50177 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Their website is vitalessentialsraw dot com.

#50397 Report Abuse
    Rene F

I will nominate Nutrisca (Dry).

#50457 Report Abuse
    Sheryl M

Just joined! Getting a new champion line puppy.
    Breeder recommended Blue Life Protection.
    Why is this brand not seen on this current Editors
    List?

#50458 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Blue Buffalo is questionable at best. Too many co-packers, too many quality control issues and far too little transparency from the manufacturer. I’d never feed my dogs a Blue Buffalo product.

#50461 Report Abuse
    Sheryl M

Waiting for Mike’s reply and worried about blue Baffalo.

#50462 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Feed something else. Tell us what kind of puppy, age etc.

#50464 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

Blue Buffalo has not used co-packers for a long time. They lease facilities all over the country and are building a huge facility in Joplin Missouri to aid the town after the devastating tornados. It’s an easy target because its a fast growing company, but I haven’t had problems getting answers from them.

#50472 Report Abuse
    Diane W

Saw this on TV. I have German Shepherds which have a short intestinal track and can have a problem with loose stools when given wet food. Can you give me your opinion of the lucky dog food….website: http://www.luckydogcuisine.com/ This is suppose to be great.
    Thank you, Diane

#50489 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Sheryl –

I urge you to check out the FAQ section as well as our Guide to Finding Superior Dog Food Brands .

From the FAQ:

Why isnā€™t my favorite company on the Editorā€™s Choice list?

There are many reasons a particular brand may not be included on our lists.

For example, a company may not have met all our guidelines. Or its agents may have been unwilling to reveal important manufacturing information.

In some cases, we may be aware of unfavorable information about a company. Or we may have received tips from industry insiders that disqualify certain brands from inclusion on our lists.

#50504 Report Abuse
    Deborah M

Sheryl,
    You just have to do your own homework and really research the food you’re using. I had a lot of trial and error, even with the the best quality foods. But, just because your breeder recommended a food, doesn’t mean it’s the best. Even with champion dogs. My breeder is excellent. Produces top notch puppies (many champions) and takes superb care of them prior to them leaving her home. I would NEVER go to another breeder. However, I also would not feed my dogs what she does – I won’t mention the food, but it’s an inferior food. After all of my mistakes, and pulling my hair out, I ended up switching to a freeze dried raw that is: 1) excellent quality, 2) sits very well with my dogs, and 3) they LIKE!!! I won’t go back to kibble. I would recommend that you just start out with the 5 star foods on the Editors list, and go from there. Btw, in terms of transparency, I’ve been able to take a virtual tour of my manufacturer’ facilities (very very clean), and making the food, showing the ingredients, mixing it up into various batches, and packing it. I’ve been able to talk to people at the plant personally because I had a lot of questions about switching to raw and they are always extremely responsive and helpful. Of course not suggesting you go raw, but just to expect no less from the manufacturer for what ever you choose.
    Good luck.
    Deborah.

#50530 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Here’s current information dated March, 2014, regarding Blue Buffalo’s co-packers.

Who manufactures Blue Buffalo?

Located in Wilton, Connecticut, the Blue Buffalo Company owns and produces Blue Buffalo dog food. However, they outsource their manufacturing to a number of different food production companies, including CJ Foods, Ainsworth, ProPet, Triple T Foods, Tuffyā€™s, and ANI/Vita-Line.

Source: http://dogfood.guru/blue-buffalo/

I emailed Blue Buffalo earlier today for an update to this, but they haven’t responded. If they do, I’ll post their reply.

#50533 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

Sheryl:
    My suggestion is to spend time on this site. It is a great place for a new dog owner (which I was in January). I discovered by reading these posts how clueless I was and how MUCH there is to learn and Know in order to feed our dogs the best way possible. This is a necessity. These people here know a LOT and they are generous and gracious with their time and are happy to reach out and help you. They have helped me through some rough transitions and have opened my eyes and shined LIGHT. There is information available here to get you going and see you through it. Welcome. And, thank you to all you precious old timers. You are truly wonderful!
    Nancy Calloway

#50568 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

4FootedFoodie, thank you for the update. The person I talked to from corporate told me they have taken over the facilities due to the rapid growth of the product while building their own facilities. This would qualify as a copacker though they are making only food for Blue Buffalo according to their standards. That being said, I feed 80% raw and 20% rotation diet between several of the 5 star brands Blue Wilderness included. It’s easily accessible at Petsmart and petcos in my area and the price is within reach.

#50692 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I just received a response from Blue Buffalo this afternoon regarding who their co-packers are; this was their response:

Thank you for taking your time to contact BLUE. I appreciate the opportunity to help you. In addition to our own manufacturing facility located in Joplin, MO, we partner with various certified pet food and treat manufacturers in the US. They include CJ’s, Triple T, Simmons, Tuffy’s, American Nutrition, Pro Pet, Hampshire Pet, Healthy Partners, and Mountain Country.

Thank you again for contacting BLUE. Please feel free to contact us back if you have any further questions.

Take Care, Tracy Blue Buffalo Co.

#51267 Report Abuse
    Patricia T

The Honest Kitchen?

#51301 Report Abuse
    Paul B

Origen or Primal quail frozen raw
    Paul b

#51302 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Paul B –

Primal and Orijen are both already featured on the Editor’s Choice.

#51313 Report Abuse
    Jennifer C

I don’t necessarily want to nominate, but I wanted to see if anyone could check into the ingredients of the new Abound dog food I’ve seen at Kroger. It seems to good to be true but I am still curious. At glance to me it looks okay but I am a member here because I have value the in depth opinion and summary of each dog food.

Jen

#51397 Report Abuse
    Tera M

Honest Kitchen

#51477 Report Abuse
    Lana D

Have you considered Zignature Limited Ingredient brands?

#51494 Report Abuse
    Mike W

I was wondering if NutriSource is capable of becoming an E.C.? It is rated 4 stars on your website. Also, American Natural Premium (Endurance Plus) is rated 5 stars on your website. I was told it was made in the Fromm facility???? Thank You for your time.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Mike W.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Mike W.
    #51514 Report Abuse
    AL D

Blue Buffalo seem to have higher grades/stars than some of your EC foods. Why is it not an EC?

#51564 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi AL D –

Questions about Blue Buffalo not being on the Editor’s Choice have been brought up numerous times on this thread – please scan back through and read my previous responses. Thanks. šŸ™‚

#51566 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Mike W –

NutriSource did not want to be interviewed for Editor’s Choice consideration, so unless they change their mind sometime in the future there’s no chance of them ever appearing in the report.

Thanks for suggesting American Natural. I’m not super familiar with the brand but I’ll look into it. Just remember, one of the criteria for the Editor’s Choice report is that a food has a high availability.

#51582 Report Abuse
    AL D

Thanks,
    A website that was mentioned:
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html
    has a lot of new reviews and thought others might be interested.

#51971 Report Abuse
    LMM

Mike, I would like more information on Nature’s Logic. I have 2 labs and am urgently using grain free lamb. I would like to know what your research has found on this food. Its not bad but there is something I’m not quite sure about concerning ingredients. Like where does the protein come from and where are the ingredients sourced? thank you for your consideration.

#51974 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Nature’s Logic is very transparent regarding their ingredient sourcing. Three information you’re looking for can be found here: http://truthaboutpetfood.com/petsumer-report-review-of-the-month-45. Click the red check Mark to view the manufacturer’s truth in ingredient sourcing.

#52257 Report Abuse
    Karin T

Party Animal Grain Free
    Halo Grain Free
    By Nature Grain Free

#52279 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Hey, all!

Please allow me to preface this by saying that this comment is NOT directed to anyone in particular.

I just do not understand why this bugs me so much, but it does… Here it is: I do not seem to grasp why people recommend stuff like “Blue Buffalo Wilderness” or “SomeBrand Grain Free”, when those foods are not BRANDS. They are brand LINES. Blue Buffalo is a brand with grain-free and grain-inclusive dry and wet foods. You can’t just pick your favorite formula and boom, want it to be an Editor’s Choice BRAND. It is usually a part of a BRAND with multiple formulas and even the line you recommend rated well, that doesn’t mean all products did or that the BRAND is worth of being included as an Editor’s Choice brand.

Sorry, just had to get this off my chest, still not directed to anyone personally.

#52791 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Big Dog Natural

#52833 Report Abuse
    Patricia B

I would like to nominate, Blue Buffalo Life Protection Small Breed. Was surprised not to see it here considering it’s good reviews on the Stars listings.
    Would also like to know which would be a better choice. The above mentioned vs Wellness Complete Health Small Breed or Wellness Core Small Breed.

Thank you.

#52849 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I’m sure others will post, but you most likely won’t see Blue Buffalo listed on the editor’s choice selections. Even though, ingredient wise they rate high on the list they have a few problems. They use lots of co packers, have been reported to allegedly make some animals sick. These are just a few of the reasons I’m aware of. Imho, I’d choose Wellness Small Breed over Blue Buffalo hands down. I feed it in my rotation. They manufacture they’re own food now, or outsource very little of their dry. They claim to use non-GMO ingredients. They don’t contain the lifesource bits…..even though years ago when I fed it for a short time my dogs ate them, I like the fact that Wellness doesn’t have them. Wellness also sends out coupons every month and I like their newsletter. Each of us must do what we think is best for our pets and I just am not comfortable with Blue Buffalo anymore.

#52878 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Big Dog Naturals has had issues here before because they wouldn’t disclose GA required information.

#53075 Report Abuse
    dawn m

I would like to know why Honest Kitchen isn’t on EC? I have done various searches for a healthy grain free – as organic and range free dog food as possible and so far this one stands out as being among the top choices. I’m surprised it’s not on the EC and would like to know why so I can start to purchase the #1 best dog food for my soon to be adopted 1 year old boxer.

#53319 Report Abuse
    stanley s

HOw come Lifes Abundance isnt on this list, im shocked

#54453 Report Abuse
    erica a

dogswell livefree?

#54459 Report Abuse
    Lesley K

Thoughts about Wysong? My experience with them has been very good over the years.

#54513 Report Abuse
    Judy M

How about Lotus Pet Foods. Juicy. canned

#54691 Report Abuse
    Donalee K

I am wondering why I don’t see Farmina N&D. Has anyone tried there products? They were recently introduced to the United States. GMO free and I believe they use the complete animal. Please do review on Farmina at Farmina.com

#54693 Report Abuse
    Donalee K

I also use Honest Kitchen and would love to see what you think

#54711 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I use Farmina for one of mine and love the results! She is on the grainfree boar & the gf fish is next.

#54820 Report Abuse
    Sue C

Evanger’s dry kibble, esp the pheasant formula, is a food that my dogs have liked and done well on; it has 4.5 to 5 star rating as well. Why is it not an Editors Choice?
    I’m not clear on this. Some foods listed appear to have a higher rating overall than some of those listed as Editors Choice foods. Why?

#54971 Report Abuse
    Melissa P

I love The Honest Kitchen grain free food

#55535 Report Abuse
    Julia R

I have been feeding my dogs “Natural Balance small breed bites” for about 3 years now…I would love to know your opinion on it. I also give my dogs treats by “Blue” and “Zukes”
    would also love your opinion on that.
    Thank you

#55632 Report Abuse
    karen s

Earth Options by Pets First

#55717 Report Abuse
    Michael B

Abady

#55731 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Dogs for the earth

#56014 Report Abuse
    meky6ra

I’d like to nominate Rayne Clinical Nutrition for Editor’s Choice, though I don’t think that you’ve reviewed their products yet.

My dog has terrible food allergies/intolerances and my vet suggested this company to me after I shared my misgivings about typical prescription diets. I REALLY hope that this company meets your standards, as it would give a solution to people who can’t feed their dogs over-the-counter dog foods, but don’t want to feed them garbage.

Their website is http://www.raynenutrition.com.

#56016 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi meky6ra –

I’m glad to head this product has helped with your dog’s allergies! Unfortunately, due to their intentional therapeutic design, prescription diets are not currently rated on Dog Food Advisor.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 1,192 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.