New puppy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I’m thinking about getting a yorkie puppy. My question is this:would it be better to get it from a dam’s first litter or does it matter?

#23049 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I wouldn’t want a pup from the dam’s first litter – this way the breeder has a chance to see how the first litter turned out (temperament, health issues, etc.).

#23050 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

My opinion, not that anyone asked but it’s never stopped me before, go to your local shelter and adopt a dog that might otherwise be put to sleep. 🙂

#23052 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

That’s another great option Cyndi 🙂

Oh and if you do go to a shelter, come to mine. We’re jam packed at the moment lol

#23064 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

The yorkie I have now is a rescue and I would love to have another but I can never find yorkies and Ijust love this breed so if you have a yorkie at ur shelter let me know.

#23083 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Try Petfinder or TheAnimalRescueSite. both at dot com. That’s where I found my dog. Back in January, when I adopted my Bailey, they had a few yorkies, from what I remember. I don’t know where you live, but I think the two sites I mentioned could help.

#23113 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I don’t think we’ve ever had a yorkie at my shelter as far as I can remember. We rarely get small dogs. There are many breed rescues out there – just google “Yorkie rescue in [your state]” if you think you’d like to rescue. However – it’s perfectly acceptable to purchase a purebred from a breeder if that’s what you want. Adopting isn’t right for everyone. All of my dogs have been purebreds purchased through reputable breeders. If you do decide to go to a breeder however, it is CRITICAL that you go to a responsible breeder – do not purchase a pup from a backyard breeder or puppy mill, please. Find the website for your breed’s parent club and have them put you in touch with a reputable breeder in your area – breed clubs stringently screen their recommended breeders so you can knock off a lot of the duds right from the get go by going through the breed club. Just to warn you – if going to a responsible breeder you will likely be put on a wait list for a pup (it could be over a year – responsible breeders will never have pups available immediately) and it will be very expensive, but it’s worth it to get a healthy dog free of genetic diseases and to know that you aren’t contributing to the population problem by supporting backyard breeders and puppy mills.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.