šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    thesamster
    Participant

I have a 9 year old lab mix who had pancreatitis in the past.
    The vet suggested low fat high fiber diet.
    We have him on Hills Science diet large breed light dry but want something with better ingredients.
    Open to suggestions-
    thanks

#14341 Report Abuse
    BryanV21
    Participant

Solid Gold Holistique Blendz

#14343 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi thesamster –

I wouldn’t look for a large breed specific food – large, medium and small breeds don’t have different nutritional requirements, size/breed specific formulas are just marketing. I also would focus on finding a high quality (high protein) low fat food and not worry about the fiber content of the food, the fiber can be added as a supplement (either psyllium or plain pumpkin). High quality low fat foods are few and far between which is why I recommend just worrying about the fat and protein level and supplementing the fiber, if you also look for high fiber you’ll likely end up having to settle for a lower quality food. In order to reduce the fat content most companies remove most of the meat and replace it with filler (grains, starch), there are only a few foods available that keep the fat levels low while keeping the protein levels (meat) levels high. Some low fat 5 star foods: Wysong Epigen Original, Venison and Fish formulas (all 11% fat), Wysong Epigen 90 (12% fat), California Natural Grain-Free Chicken (12% fat), Wellness Core Reduced Fat (10% fat), Blue Buffalo Wildnerness Healthy Weight (10% fat), The Honest Kitchen Zeal (9% fat), Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance Chicken (9% fat), Annamaet Lean (8% fat) and Acana Light and Fit Fit (10% fat).

#14345 Report Abuse
    thesamster
    Participant

Thanks. Right now the high fiber is is going out about as fast as it comes in so a reduction would be OK.
    I’ll check out all the recommendations, thanks.

#14347 Report Abuse
    thesamster
    Participant

Think I might try the solid gold wolf king or Holistic Blendz Adult Maintenance Dog Food-both low fat.

#14349 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Wolfking is one of the Sold Gold formulas manufactured by Diamond – just an fyi.

#14350 Report Abuse
    thesamster
    Participant

Thx, did not know that. How about the other one?
    Maybe I asked the wrong question first…
    What brand of dry dog food low fat has not had any recalls?

#14397 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I’m not sure of any dry foods that are low fat and have not had any recalls (probably THK and Grandma Lucy’s). Personally, I wouldn’t rule a company out simply because they’ve had a recall. Recalls can happen to any company, the important thing to me is frequency of recalls and how the company handles the recalls. I wouldn’t feed a Diamond product because it seems like there’s a new recall every week and Diamond doesn’t handle the recalls well. I believe the Solid Gold formulas that are manufactured at Diamond are WolfCub, WolfKing, Just a Wee Bit and Hund-n-Flocken.

#14415 Report Abuse
    thesamster
    Participant

How about Wellness Core or Super5 brands?
    The current Hills food is 20% protein and 6-9% fat and he has been ok on that.
    What kind of protein level should I be looking at?
    He is an indoor active dog starting to have hip problems. We go for walks and he does run around for short periods of time.
    I want to avoid Diamond and prefer to find a food manufactured by their own plant and not outsourced.

#14416 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I wouldn’t feed anything with less than 30% protein. To my knowledge, all of the dry Wellness foods are now being produced at the Wellpet manufacturing plant (Wellpet is the parent company which owns Wellness, Holistic Select, Eagle Pack and Old Mother Hubbard).

#14801 Report Abuse
    BryanV21
    Participant

I don’t understand having an issue with Diamond, but being okay with Hill’s. Diamond has its issues… no doubt, but I’d feed many of their foods over Hill’s.

I’m not saying I’d recommend Diamond (I wouldn’t), I’m just trying to drive home the point that Hill’s is far from an ideal food.

#14802 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Thesamster,

You can also add fiber to the diet by adding some canned pumpkin or ground psyllium.

#44162 Report Abuse
    Maria H

I also have a 9 year old lab she is overweight has high cholesterol & high triglycerides the vet said low fat high fiber I also think Hill’s is a low quality high priced dog food. Thanks for the good info. The vet said 5%-7% fat maybe can’t find that low. However, I found some good info from you guys. Thanks

#44171 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Maria-
    Victor has a healthy weight formula that looks good. As mentioned above, however, you would need to add fiber, such as chia or psyllium seed. But it is 27% protein and only 11% fat. Other foods that I’ve seen recommended are Wellness Core and Anament Lean. Also adding plain canned pumpkin would be helpful to add a little fiber and it is also very healthy for dogs.

#44190 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, my boy was dignosed with Pancreatitis & IBD when Ive tried a kibble that was high protein Patch had his pain again, Ive slowely been adding the Holistic Select Senior health kibble cause the fat% is 10% the protein is 26% so far he’s good but Im still mixing the kibble with his Eukanuba Intestinal vet prescrition diet..Try to get a kibble similar to the hills fat% & protein % & slowly go up & see how u go, dont just go from 20% protein to a 30 something % protein he may relapse & get his pancreatitis again Ive tried the Wellness core & the protein was too high for Patch maybe ur boy will be different but just go slow very slow & see how he copes..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.